Saturation plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I know its not popular around here but I have got some good use from the Fielding DSP Reviver saturation plugin for Mac mainly due to its ability to gently add 2nd and 3rd harmonic satuartion in separate amounts alias free. I use the 3rd harmonic mostly on drums to give punch and its really useful. Im looking to find a PC version however most seem to lump 2nd and 3rd harmonics together into one process - and this is less good IMO as the 2nd harmonic doesnt impart so much punch and seems to make to signal warmer in a mushy way....any PC VST alternatives?

voxengo tube amp?.... :roll:

hivkorn wrote:voxengo tube amp?.... :roll:
no that is quite different. What Im mainly looking for is a PC VST that can specifically add 3rd harmonic saturation alias free. Take a look:

Image[/img]

i'm not sure you will find it.....

Well, about a year ago they said that they would make this for PC. :D

TristezaOrange wrote:Well, about a year ago they said that they would make this for PC. :D
ah perhaps its worth a email...

still....considering the oceans of plugins that seem to be PC only Im surprised there is no direct alternative as yet...I am considering trying the Sonnox inflator...which looks similar in design but again does not seperate the 2 harmonics...

SWAN808 wrote:
TristezaOrange wrote:Well, about a year ago they said that they would make this for PC. :D
ah perhaps its worth a email...

still....considering the oceans of plugins that seem to be PC only Im surprised there is no direct alternative as yet...I am considering trying the Sonnox inflator...which looks similar in design but again does not seperate the 2 harmonics...

Not sure which DAW you use, but Cubase 4/5 comes with a harmonics plugin - soft clipper, which can add 2nd - 3rd's just like the plugin you discribe ..as in each one can go from 0-100% seperately, and it sounds very good.

2nd harmonics are tube type simulations and 3rd are Tape if I remember correctly.

All the best.

Cheers.

Former purveyor of fine CurryPop.
(Yes. TheCaptain is back.)

CaptainMARC wrote:You could try Christortion.

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/?page_id=8
i've tried that but i did not like the results..YMMV

sunny_j wrote:
CaptainMARC wrote:You could try Christortion.

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/?page_id=8
i've tried that but i did not like the results..YMMV
+1 tried that very rough.

That reviver is actually a nice plugin - shame its so pricey - it would prob be a lot more popular. But it is high quality. I take it I cant just grab a cubase dll....?Im using Ableton. Off topic I have to say having been a harcore Logic user for years Ive started looking around and whilst Live is a lot of fun creatively - Cubase is starting to look like a very comprehensive and attractive package...

To be honest I'm not a fan of Christortion myself, but it was the only thing I could think of giving individual control over the harmonics.

But as a previous poster said, third harmonics are generated by magnetic tape. So perhaps you can get the effect you're looking for with a decent tape simulator, there are plenty out there. Ferox by Jeroen Breebaart is pretty cool.

Which reminds me, he also has a "spectrum enhancer" called SEND which can control even and odd harmonics individually. Might be worth a shot.
Former purveyor of fine CurryPop.
(Yes. TheCaptain is back.)

Hi Swan,

Just wanted to make sure that you were aware that the Mac .zip collection of all of my free programs are up and ready for you to download!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/Mac_PC_CDSoundMaster_Free1.zip

Please give them a try and let me know how you like the sound.

Thanks!
Michael

Christortion and the other Budde Chebyshev Plug-ins are fantastic; I don't know what else you would be looking for in such a device.

Maybe combine it with modular tricks in your host? I.E., splitting frequencies and only applying it to the low-passed signal.

SWAN808 wrote:any PC VST alternatives?
the SoundHack +chebychev plugin perhaps?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

mangel1234 wrote:Hi Swan,

Just wanted to make sure that you were aware that the Mac .zip collection of all of my free programs are up and ready for you to download!

http://cdsoundmaster.com/Mac_PC_CDSoundMaster_Free1.zip

Please give them a try and let me know how you like the sound.

Thanks!
Michael
Hi yes thanks Michael - I did see that. Ironically I am just working on setting up a Windows partition on my Mac ;)

Will get round to trying them shortly. While I have you here I wanted to ask something:

I am also interested in the VIntage Tube collection - however frankly - I dont need the amount of options you provide. Just a small bunch of good sounding programs. Is there any way you would put together a Vintage Tube LE package as they are also quite expensive? Perhaps it might generate other sales also...

Return to “Effects”