Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
hakey
KVRAF

5150 posts since 25 Feb, 2008, from Babylon an ting

Postby hakey; Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 am Patch Design Contest now with ***PRIZES!!!***

***The deadline for the first contest is now Monday the 20th (July 09!)***

So for the first patch contest I've chosen this classic film sequence:

Metropolis: Robot Transformation Scene

You are invited to design a patch in some way inspired by the clip.

Patches could be polyphonic, mono, fx, arps, pads, drones etc. the only stipulation is that there is some kind of credible connection to the atmosphere and themes of the clip - so, say, a 'Mad-scientist Organ Stab', or a 'Van der Graaf Generator' patch, or a 'Vintage Orchestral Film Score' instrument, that kind of thing. (Something like, a Fender Rhodes emulation patch, no matter how well crafted, wouldn't really fit this brief. :wink:)

The rest of the rules, format closing date and other stuff:

PM submissions to me by midnight (00:00 GMT) Monday 13th July.

A maximum of two submissions per person (just in case anyone comes up with two patches that they really can't choose between, voting will still be on a patch by patch basis).

For illustrative or instructional purposes you can, if you want, include a supporting .mid file with your entry. This should play no longer than the length of the clip (32 seconds) and include just the patch(/patches). You can 'score' the clip if you want. That said, this is a patch contest not a film scoring task.

All of the patches will subsequently be made available to dl within one online folder.

There will then be an open public voting thread (probably of the format 'list the best 5 in order') and a separate discussion thread.

I'm hoping that initially the authorship of the patches can be kept under wraps - or at least people will dl and try out the patches before going to the discussion thread. If people then want to bask in the reflected glory or own up to their patches in the discussion thread that's fine.

Please try and think up a unique patchname (the pithier the pun the better!)- I'd rather not end up with a load of 'Patch Contest' patches.

If you want to include a description or instructions with the patch, do this within the patch info box that you see when saving a patch in Zebra - there will be an instruction within the voting thread to remind people to press 'info' when trying the patches.

To preserve anonymity don't 'initialize' your patch and also try to remember to delete your name from within the patch info.

If a patch uses the XY fields add a '+' to the end of the patchname e.g. 'Metrobot+'.

One last tip - try to ensure that your patch will not sound too loud or quiet in relation to other patches. I reckon that the best way to do this is to play it alongside a selection of Zebra's (Howard's) factory presets and do it by ear, not by looking at your DAW's output meter.

Good Luck! :hihi:

EDIT: Urs has very kindly offered to give Alpha versions of his new 'Phase Distortion, Phase Modulation and FM, patched up with, uhm, *wires*' oscillator (an early prototype for the promised Berlin Modular) to the top 3 patches! 8)

The deadline has been pushed back a week - it's now Monday the 20th (midnight GMT - or thereabouts)
Last edited by hakey on Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
hakey
KVRAF

Postby hakey; Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:21 am

And for further inspiration here's a longer version that has already been underscored with a load of synthy noodling.

It's not bad, eh? I reckon that, with a bit of practice, this Giorgio Moroder could be quite good one day.
Urs
u-he

22226 posts since 7 Aug, 2002, from Berlin

Postby Urs; Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:28 am

Made it sticky!
hakey
KVRAF

Postby hakey; Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:41 am

Thanks Urs. 8)
elxsound
KVRAF

4552 posts since 18 Aug, 2007, from NYC

Postby elxsound; Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:11 am

Oh cool, it's begun!! Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll try and get something finished over the weekend.

Edit...

Just saw the clip... This should be fun. 8)
hakey
KVRAF

Postby hakey; Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:34 am

elxicano wrote:Oh cool, it's begun!! Sorry I'm late to the party.

I'll try and get something finished over the weekend.

Edit...

Just saw the clip... This should be fun. 8)

:tu:

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with.
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:41 am

Preliminary screenshot of prize:

http://www.u-he.com/img/SecretDevice.jpg

Very alpha... but makes noise.
hakey
KVRAF

Postby hakey; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:35 am

Urs wrote:Preliminary screenshot of prize:

:tu:

The jack sockets along the bottom - I'm guessing that they're to connect with as yet unbuilt modules (filters, sequencers etc.)?
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am

hakey wrote:The jack sockets along the bottom - I'm guessing that they're to connect with as yet unbuilt modules (filters, sequencers etc.)?

Yep. The are just *outputs*. The MIDI sources are already functional. The other stuff isn't.

The wooden site panels are only fake. I don't think the final version will have them.
elxsound
KVRAF

4552 posts since 18 Aug, 2007, from NYC

Postby elxsound; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:46 am

Hmm... too cheap to use real wood, huh? :P
LKWRM
KVRer

2 posts since 14 Jul, 2009

Postby LKWRM; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:50 am

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.

http://www.u-he.com/img/SecretDevice.jpg (http://www.u-he.com/img/SecretDevice.jpg)

Hehe. I like that the height of the picture is six-six-six pixels. :)
brick
KVRian

661 posts since 11 Dec, 2003

Postby brick; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 am

Ohhhhhhh shit :love:
hakey
KVRAF

Postby hakey; Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:56 am

Urs wrote:The wooden site panels are only fake. I don't think the final version will have them.
Well that's your choice, but you know it's not going to sound very 'analog' without them? :roll:
Urs
u-he

Postby Urs; Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm

LKWRM wrote:Hehe. I like that the height of the picture is six-six-six pixels. :)

Uh... oh... I hadn't even seen that... devlish...
jensa
KVRAF

1620 posts since 11 Dec, 2005, from Malmö, Sweden

Postby jensa; Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Urs wrote:
LKWRM wrote:Hehe. I like that the height of the picture is six-six-six pixels. :)

Uh... oh... I hadn't even seen that... devlish...
It must be good then, eh? :( :)
Next

Moderator: u-he Mods

Return to u-he