112db EQ is out

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, thanks bmanic for the great review!

I encourage everyone to try this out (I was a beta tester). I think with all the features and different curves available, the variable phase shift, variable dynamic feature, and adjustable harmonic distortion, almost everyone can find something useful in this EQ (and at a very fair intro price). 8)

I agree it loads slow. I also found that loading presets into the Redline Reverb is quite slow. I may bring this up with dj! on his forum.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

---Salon on internet trolls attacking Cleveland kidnapping victim Amanda Berry

4damind wrote:It has not really a own sound, but with this distortion feature ;)

For dynamic EQing I like GlissEQ more, same with the integrated analyzer. The different response curves from known Eqs (Neve, API,...) are very nice and can help to get quicker the desired results.

But it needs some improvements, so lets see what comes next ;)
I disagree. The curves are definitely "different" to most other EQ's, giving it it's own unique sound. Now turn phase shift up to 200% and you are doing nasty stuff to transients in a way that I have not heard before.

This EQ is definitely "unique" and can not thus be replaced easily with any other plugin. It's definitely not a me-too EQ from basic algorithms.

It also seems to have very little distortion (provided that you turn off the harmonic distortion of course) as it does seem to react well to rather large boosts and cuts.

I did however find a bug I think, although I have not read the manual yet which means the following observation might be a feature and not a bug:

I cannot get the dynamic section to work as expected when cutting frequencies. What I want to do is have a massive kick trigger the dynamic EQ to suddenly cut out the boomy frequency, only during the kick itself. While there is no kick I'd like it to return to unity gain. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible.

It works the opposite way around, while boosting but not when cutting. The problem is that as soon as I cut, even with the threshold fully opened up, I get a cut! Without any transient or loud signal coming in. This is not true for boost, where it will remain at unity gain before something goes over the threshold. I really do hope that it is a bug and not a lacking feature. The "cut while transient" scenario is a very common one and the most useful thing to have a dynamic EQ for.

EDIT: looks like simply turning on the dynamic feature, even with the amount set to 0%, gives a very different EQ response than when the feature is off. Surely this is not how it is intended?

Cheers!
bManic
Last edited by bmanic on Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

4damind wrote:
I'm sure he will seriously consider all suggestions.
"You don’t expect much beyond a gaping, misspelled void when you stare into the cold dark place that is Internet comments."

bmanic wrote:I disagree. The curves are definitely "different" to most other EQ's, giving it it's own unique sound. Now turn phase shift up to 200% and you are doing nasty stuff to transients in a way that I have not heard before.
Of course the response curves are different, this is some of the main feature of this eq: it has 8 different response curves. If you are more interested in the details, you can found the plots of the different curves on their homepage.

Remember: all EQs are the same :hihi:

A.M. Gold wrote:
4damind wrote:
I'm sure he will seriously consider all suggestions.
Then we get a highly recommended EQ ;)

A.M. Gold wrote:I agree it loads slow.
I have a old Laptop running Win XP and it loads in the blink of an eye here. Maybe your Computer is TOO GOOD for this Plugin?

I'm not sure what the loading issues are, but enough people have them that I'm sure the situation will be reviewed.

4damind wrote:
Of course the response curves are different, this is some of the main feature of this eq: it has 8 different response curves.
He also modeled phase shift from those consoles, as I recall.

A.M. Gold wrote:
4damind wrote:
Of course the response curves are different, this is some of the main feature of this eq: it has 8 different response curves.
This would be nice. He says only "Eight selectable custom EQ algorithms with unique response characteristics". But the EQ has this variable phase shift feature :shrug:
Hope Jules can give some more details (eventually also about the feature requests).

4damind wrote:
A.M. Gold wrote:
4damind wrote:
This would be nice. He says only "Eight selectable custom EQ algorithms with unique response characteristics". But the EQ has this variable phase shift feature :shrug:
Hope Jules can give some more details (eventually also about the feature requests).
That would probably be 100%. I'm using the vstpluginanalyser with this eq and results seem interesting.

4damind wrote:
Loll!!! And touche!!!

A.M. Gold wrote:
4damind wrote:
Umm.. phase shift is kind of automatic isn't it? Depending on the shape of the curve, you always get a corresponding phase shift (unless you remove it by doing it linear phase).

Anyhow, this EQ seems really nice.

The only thing that I wish was implemented a bit better is the dynamic part of it. Somehow it seems to lose a lot of resolution and gets a bit harsh when using it. This is only really noticeable on full program material which it might not be suited for anyhow. Perhaps there will be a separate Red Line Dynamic Master EQ some time in the future with much more control on the dynamic aspect?

Cheers!
bManic

me on xp sp3

penguinfromdeep wrote:
4damind wrote:
Loll!!! And touche!!!
Well unless they model complex analogue behaviour with weird nonlinearities, crosstalk etc. they kind of are. The simple "shape" of a completely clean digital EQ (either linear or minimum phase) can be duplicated very closely with any other similar EQ. I've done ABX tests of this, duplicating several commercial "hyped" EQs (for instance the UAD pultec) with IIEQ 2.0 using Christian Budde's VST plugin comparer/analyzer. I could not reliably pick the correct file during the ABX testing. So, in essence, it is the same..

However, having said all that, just because one can exactly match another digital EQ implementation does not mean one uses them the same way! This is the reason we sometimes feel like one EQ performs better at certain tasks than another (even though both plugins could get 99% equal clinical results if so desired).

In the analogue domain it is of course very different because each EQ implementation has a different "sound" (not just the curve). Different units treat transients very differently, has more or less harmonic distortion, more or less crosstalk and noise between channels.. etc.

Until we get to these truly complex emulations we can safely assume that in general, most digital EQs can achieve the same results if so desired (with the use of some 3rd party analysing software) but that they all behave differently when tweaked during mixing and thus create a "unique" experience.

EDIT: sorry for the confusing ramblings.. I'm slightly drunk as it is. :P

Cheers!
bManic

wrong post...

Return to “Effects”