Got an iLok key, now what to do with it?!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I took the plunge today:
33Euro (around 13Euro more expensive than Synchrosoft) for a shrink-wrapped blue USB key that can store tons of software licenses or... something. Uhm... shiny.

Now what the heck to do with it?
Is this one an antenna? Can I order pizza with it? ...

Okay, now all goofyness aside:
I have 2 Synchrosoft Keys (one for hosts, one for FX and instruments), and I want to ditch one to make room on USB slots. Today I bought an iLok since I want to get the free PodFarm copy from Line6 and my GuitarPort is just collecting dust anyway.

I haven't installed this thing, since my main rig is nearly dead and crashes like nobody's business, no matter if the HDD is working, I plug an USB device in, install something, or even just write TXT files. I still got a laptop, but that LAN module doesn't work that good anymore.

I heard and read however, that iLok's are a bit different than Synchrosoft. With Synchrosoft, you just install the eLicenser (now called different), install either the software with their shipped key, or ask for a license to download with a specific download key (where you need internet for that). I don't need to create an account or anything, don't need to sign up or "synchronize" my licenses.

Not so with iLok - or at least that's what I heard.

To be honest, the only experience I have with iLok's are on Macs, not PCs. And here I only used Waves or ProTools M-Powered - already setup of course. Those keys look shiny, though are oversized for what they do.

My question out to the mass (and not the iLok haters, thank you) is:
- what should I keep in mind? (needed drivers, etc)
- what is that "synchronize" thing that I heard about?
- do you have any problems running that thing along with Synchrosoft (I guess the general answer was "no")?
- does this thing need an USB2 slot or can I connect this to a passive USB hub?
- can I install and initialize the iLok on my laptop and later connect it to my main rig (as soon as it's running again)?
- are there different iLok versions like it was the case with Synchrosoft keys? (I've seen different colors, but the size only changed for Synchrosoft USB keys)

And more important:
- does this one want to be fed? And if so, what does it eat? *cough*

Okay, enough of the jokes already. :lol:

On a serious note, I'm lost.
So yeah, I'd definitely appreciate help from longtime iLok users.

Thanks in advance.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Welcome to the club. The PODfarm freebie is well worth it. First thing you do is go to iLok.com and create an account. This will make it much easier to manage licenses, etc. and get your Podfarm up and running.

Then, go buy one of the UVI workstation libraries. Have fun. Stay safe. And for goodness sake, don't bet the ponies or bet against a pool player named after a city...

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Compyfox wrote:- what should I keep in mind? (needed drivers, etc)
most iLok'd plugins install the drivers. however, if you want to install license assets onto your iLok, you need the iLok Client Software package from ilok.com. You also need that installed to move licenses et.c.
You dont need it installed on the system you want to use licenses on, though, but you will need the iLok driver on that.

Ive also found it hit or miss as to whether the site works with Firefox, so use IE to access it.
- what is that "synchronize" thing that I heard about?
the site keeps details of what iLoks have which licenses, but to put a license on to an iLok, or move them, you have to plug in the iLok, and you 'synchronize' to let the iLok Client Software access it.
You'll see a synchronise button on your ilok.com accout page. Hit it and you'll get a page with a link to the iLok Client if its not currently installed.
- do you have any problems running that thing along with Synchrosoft (I guess the general answer was "no")?
I no longer have anything which uses Synchrosoft, but didnt have conflicts with it when CSR used it.
- does this thing need an USB2 slot or can I connect this to a passive USB hub?

Ive used it on a hub. Two iLoks on the same hub, in fact.
- can I install and initialize the iLok on my laptop and later connect it to my main rig (as soon as it's running again)?
Yup. Once the license is on the iLok, you just need the drivers on the system you want to use it on.
- are there different iLok versions like it was the case with Synchrosoft keys? (I've seen different colors, but the size only changed for Synchrosoft USB keys)
As far as I know, there's just one 'type'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Thanks for the answers so far.
So I take it I need an account after all. A thing I didn't need for Synchrosoft.

May I ask why this is the case? I read recently that Pace/iLok offers a "security system" for lost iLoks. Is it because of that? For things like, let's say, a broken HDD and the e-license from the particular software is lost, or your USB stick is broken or something?

So I general, I have all pace/ilok drivers if I grap an iLok powered tool. But if I want to manage licenses, I need the manager. And to install "online licenses" (not bound ones with boxed sets), I need an account at iLok.com ?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:Thanks for the answers so far.
So I take it I need an account after all. A thing I didn't need for Synchrosoft.
yes, you'll need an account. when you buy an iLok'd license, it usually gets transerred as an asset to that account, for download onto an iLok. ive only ever seen Digidesign licenses come on simm cards for direct transfer to an iLok (DV Toolkit), or come preinstalled on an iLok (PT M-powered).

In your case, the PodFarm license is definitely an asset that gets sent to your ilok.com account.
May I ask why this is the case? I read recently that Pace/iLok offers a "security system" for lost iLoks. Is it because of that? For things like, let's say, a broken HDD and the e-license from the particular software is lost, or your USB stick is broken or something?
the protection for lost iLoks is a for-pay option, but yes, it takes advantage of having a single account. but i guess the account is so the iLok system is centralised, rather than each vendor having separate iLok-handling systems.

So I general, I have all pace/ilok drivers if I grap an iLok powered tool. But if I want to manage licenses, I need the manager. And to install "online licenses" (not bound ones with boxed sets), I need an account at iLok.com ?
yup.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Here is a direct quote from the faq of a company who disbandoned the ilok with their new upgrade:

"After a successful install of xxxxx, iLoks may be used as key chains, earrings, or dog toys. xxxxx does not utilize the iLok key. "

Damn, now I need to watch my invisible dog to not chew on that thing, else he might swallow it and die of miserable pain. :hihi:

All jokes aside, thanks for the info regarding the iLok, whyterabbyt. This should be a sticky or a FAQ for all new iLok users. And now I even get the thing why the iLok has a slot for an SD card or something.

Now on to the fun installing on my laptop.

Sorry to bump this old thread from September 2009, but a new question popped up that needs some attention:

Moving C/R licenses to iLok and back
Is that possible, of so... how?

I heard of a particular firm that had a license of an emulation removed from the iLok due to disagreements with another firm (you probably know which firm I mean). I only want to be on the save side towards both ends. And if I'm not in the mood for C/R, I'd like to move it to the USB key.

It's partially working with the eLincenser, but I couldn't find any info regarding that topic in the official FAQs.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”