Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

112db EQ is out

aplats
KVRist

353 posts since 15 Jan, 2009, from a skyrocket in flight...

Postby aplats; Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 pm

dj! (112dB) wrote:At the risk of stating the obvious, did you check that the version info at the bottom of the Redline GUI states "version 1.0.1"? Just to make 100% sure.

Thanks!

-- dj!

Sorry, I just saw this reply. Yes I did make sure it's version 1.0.1. The latency is so bad I had to disable all instances I had open on my current track. And yes, plug-in delay compensation is set to All.
rodgetkfp
KVRist

185 posts since 4 Feb, 2009

Postby rodgetkfp; Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:19 pm

Yes, everything I can say is, that this baby is definatly worth its money.

Rodge
dj! (112dB)
KVRist

201 posts since 22 Jan, 2009, from the Netherlands

Postby dj! (112dB); Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:04 pm

aplats wrote:, I just saw this reply. Yes I did make sure it's version 1.0.1. The latency is so bad I had to disable all instances I had open on my current track. And yes, plug-in delay compensation is set to All.

I am 99.9% sure that the recent 1.0.2 version shd solve this, but do report back here if it doesn't!

-- dj!
Morgana | Redline Series | Big Blue Series
aplats
KVRist

Postby aplats; Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:52 pm

dj! (112dB) wrote:
aplats wrote:, I just saw this reply. Yes I did make sure it's version 1.0.1. The latency is so bad I had to disable all instances I had open on my current track. And yes, plug-in delay compensation is set to All.

I am 99.9% sure that the recent 1.0.2 version shd solve this, but do report back here if it doesn't!

-- dj!

I'm still feeling a little lag. I'm not sure why. I checked, it is 1.0.2. The only other plug-in that I've had this issue with is PSP VintageWarmer. I really like the sound of this eq and want it to work. Let me know if you need me to PM you with more details. But like I said, I never really have this issue with anything else.
Chrispy
KVRist

92 posts since 29 Dec, 2002

Postby Chrispy; Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:31 am

I'm really impressed by this EQ. Some of the original features are excellent, especially the auto-gain makeup and the linear to non-linear phase control, and (as many have mentioned) the generous demo terms and unintrusive copy protection are much appreciated. It makes me want to do business with such a company, which is why I've purchased a license - even though I had a long time remaining on the demo.

Having said all that, there are some features which I sorely wish could be added, which would really make this the only EQ I'd need to turn to. Hopefully by putting my money where my mouth is I'll be helping 112dB justify continued development of this plugin.

Here's what I'd really like to see added if at all possible (and some have already been mentioned by others, but I wanted to add my vote here):

- The ability to switch the analyser to a line view rather than bars (in fact I'd only use the line view, so if that was the only implementation that'd be fine by me). I think I've tried every VST spectrum analyser there is and, for me, the best by far is the one in Voxengo's GlissEQ (and also their free SPAN plugin). With the default settings these give the best visualisation I've seen across all the frequencies, with just the right speed of update/damping and, importantly, the best depiction in the bass area (they do some clever smoothing of the curve it seems).

- A pre/post EQ switch for the spectrum analyser is something I really would like to see added, but even more important for me would be the ability to show BOTH simultaneously. The way I have always had to do this is using two GlissEQ instances - one before the plugin I'm tring to analyse and one directly after. GlissEQ can send the output of one instance to another and then show the two spectrums overlayed, which is exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Doing this within the EQ plugin itself doesn't seem like it would be too difficult hopefully, but for me it would be an extremely useful feature.

- One final point on the spectrum analysis is a feature I've only seen in apulSoft's apEQ, which has an automatic latency compensation on the display so that the spectrum always appears to be in time with the audio.

- Although on the latency point... as a number of people have mentioned, it would be very nice to have a separate version of the plugin that is identical but fixed at non-linear operation with no latency introduced. Again, this doesn't sound like it would be a huge development overhead (although I may be wrong!) but would be so useful for the end user.

- Finally, one really nice feature from Eiosis's AirEQ is the ability to name the EQ bands on a preset by preset basis. I know it doesn't sound like much, but for me it's a fantastic feature. It lets me label things so I remember (when I come back to the mix months later) what effect they're contributing and why I added them. Or I create presets for, say, a kick drum with the knobs set at key frequencies and labeled things like "Boom", "Smack", "Mud", "Click" and "Air", for example.

Again, many thanks for the hard work and thought that has obviously gone into this plugin. I really hope the development continues because some of these features (and those mentioned by others) would make this the "go to" EQ for so many people.
dj! (112dB)
KVRist

Postby dj! (112dB); Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:07 am

aplats wrote:I'm still feeling a little lag. I'm not sure why. I checked, it is 1.0.2. The only other plug-in that I've had this issue with is PSP VintageWarmer. I really like the sound of this eq and want it to work. Let me know if you need me to PM you with more details. But like I said, I never really have this issue with anything else.

If you could drop us a line at support@[lotsofdB].com with your system specs we'll troubleshoot. Latency compensation can sometimes be a pain with the huge number of different hosts around but this shd be something we can solve quite easily.

Take care,

-- dj!
dj! (112dB)
KVRist

Postby dj! (112dB); Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:20 am

Chrispy wrote:- The ability to switch the analyser to a line view rather than bars (in fact I'd only use the line view, so if that was the only implementation that'd be fine by me).

You're not the first one to request this so we will definitely add this in an upcoming maintenance release.

- A pre/post EQ switch for the spectrum analyser is something I really would like to see added, but even more important for me would be the ability to show BOTH simultaneously.

Not a bad idea at all. TBH I did until now question the usefulness of a pre/post switch for the analyzer but both combined could definitely add something to the table. Feature request noted!

- One final point on the spectrum analysis is a feature I've only seen in apulSoft's apEQ, which has an automatic latency compensation on the display so that the spectrum always appears to be in time with the audio.

Point taken and I'll look into this. This doesn't work if you add another latency-inducing plugin before or after the EQ though, does it? Also I'm curious whether this works across all hosts--at current the Redline analysis is in sync with audio in some hosts but not in others, so I'm just curious what would happen by adding latency compensation. (I know I know, I shd just check out apEQ.)

- Although on the latency point... as a number of people have mentioned, it would be very nice to have a separate version of the plugin that is identical but fixed at non-linear operation with no latency introduced. Again, this doesn't sound like it would be a huge development overhead (although I may be wrong!) but would be so useful for the end user.

Unfortunately you are wrong :). Without going into too many technical details the plugin internals don't easily allow for this, and additionally phase shift is not the only feature that requires latency--the dynamic EQ is another one. That said we are aware that there is serious interest in a low or zero latency version and it is at (or at least very near) the top of our todo list for v2.

- Finally, one really nice feature from Eiosis's AirEQ is the ability to name the EQ bands on a preset by preset basis.

Another great idea and another FR noted. :)

Take care & thanks much for the feedback--it's highly appreciated--,

-- dj!
rouxxx
KVRist

33 posts since 11 Nov, 2008

Postby rouxxx; Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:11 pm

HI dj!(112dB).
you have made great work on this plugin.
this equaliser is a kind of magic: really Smooth sounding; dynamic section and harmonic distortion are awesome.
This is the VST EQ i was waiting for a long time.

i juste have the same issue as Bmanic on the dynamic section while cutting (not only on the kick, but on full spectrum)

I cannot get the dynamic section to work as expected when cutting frequencies. What I want to do is have a massive kick trigger the dynamic EQ to suddenly cut out the boomy frequency, only during the kick itself. While there is no kick I'd like it to return to unity gain. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be possible.
It works the opposite way around, while boosting but not when cutting. The problem is that as soon as I cut, even with the threshold fully opened up, I get a cut! Without any transient or loud signal coming in. This is not true for boost, where it will remain at unity gain before something goes over the threshold. I really do hope that it is a bug and not a lacking feature. The "cut while transient" scenario is a very common one and the most useful thing to have a dynamic EQ for.
dj! (112dB)
KVRist

Postby dj! (112dB); Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:49 pm

rouxxx wrote:i juste have the same issue as Bmanic on the dynamic section while cutting (not only on the kick, but on full spectrum)

In that case I've good news for you: starting from the recent 1.0.2 update the dynamic cut behavior is now adjustable! Right click and select/deselect Invert dynamic cuts--the previous (and default behavior) is ON, but if you prefer cuts to be handled the same way as boosts just uncheck that item and hey presto. :)

Take care,

-- dj!
rouxxx
KVRist

Postby rouxxx; Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:54 pm

ohh yeah, that's a good news !
bmanic
KVRAF

7832 posts since 3 Feb, 2003, from Finland, Espoo

Postby bmanic; Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:53 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

EDIT: nope, still is very illogical and doesn't do what I was hoping the new switch would.

I'll try to explain as clearly as possibly what happens and what I'd like to happen (the most common way for a dynamic EQ to work):

Scenario:

I want to apply a massive 10dB cut with a bell at 100hz with a quite wide Q to tame an overly wild kick drum peak within a drumloop.

what happens)

I apply the massive 10dB cut with the default filter and cut behavior on, set the "gain knob" (threshold) all the way up to start with. At these settings there should be no cutting at all going on because the threshold is all the way up! However, I get still a large static cut. When I lower the threshold it cuts even more, this time adding the dynamic cuts as well!

what should happen)

I apply the cut, I set the threshold all the way up. Nothing happens. There is NO change in the frequency response. I slowly lower the threshold so that it reacts to the incoming peaks and I slowly start getting progressively larger cuts the lower I set the threshold and the more the peak is being fed into the envelope follower. Simple. Logical and how a dynamic EQ should work when applying cuts. Red Line EQ doesn't work this way and I find it rather bizarre.

The dynamics -100% and +100% knob should simply switch the way the dynamics are translated from the envelope follower (which it is, when applying boosts). The new "switch" workaround is still completely buggy and/or flawed and isn't even needed if the behavior would be as described above.

Cheers!
bManic
"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior. I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad." - Elon Musk, TED talk April 2017
rouxxx
KVRist

Postby rouxxx; Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:39 am

Thanks for the Update !
inverted cut is a good feature, with négative dynamic knob ratio for cutting.
But i need 2 redlineEQ instances to combine cut and boost dynamic behavior like i want :

for example Cut with - 100 dynamic on the first, and boost with + 100 for the second.
5Lives
KVRist

457 posts since 10 Nov, 2005, from New York City

Postby 5Lives; Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:49 am

How does the Neve 1073 mode of this plugin differ from the V-Series plugins from Waves or the 1073 plugin for UAD?
aplats
KVRist

Postby aplats; Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:12 am

dj! (112dB) wrote:
aplats wrote:I'm still feeling a little lag. I'm not sure why. I checked, it is 1.0.2. The only other plug-in that I've had this issue with is PSP VintageWarmer. I really like the sound of this eq and want it to work. Let me know if you need me to PM you with more details. But like I said, I never really have this issue with anything else.

If you could drop us a line at support@[lotsofdB].com with your system specs we'll troubleshoot. Latency compensation can sometimes be a pain with the huge number of different hosts around but this shd be something we can solve quite easily.

Take care,

-- dj!

I emailed you guys a while ago. Any ideas with what is going on? I'd like to know if it'll be fixed soon, since the intro price is almost up.
Ghettopanda
KVRist

73 posts since 20 Oct, 2008

Postby Ghettopanda; Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:25 am

OK, demoing this now: incredible.

I was looking for a good dynamic EQ, tried Sonalksis DQ1 and Voxengo Gliss, this is by far the best. The harmonic distortion works great. Definitely not the easiest thing to use, but when you know what you're doing this is just simply awesome.

Reminds be a bit of Flux Epure gone dynamic with filters, console simulation and harmonics. Could be the best EQ I have tried.

I have yet to try the TC Electronics one, but there's no demo available.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects