Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:12 am

thanks for confirming that OMNIFEX, glad you also are seeing under 2s :)

The only black GUI compressor I have is sidearm, but it isn't a hardware like GUI
http://www.delamancha.co.uk/sidearm.htm
Image
mr jkn
KVRist
 
84 posts since 3 Oct, 2006

Postby mr jkn; Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:54 am

de la Mancha wrote:
mr jkn wrote:A more serious problem surfaces when blending a compressed bus with the original source and phasing appears. Seems to be a latency related problem (?)


Do you mean blending in your DAW or blending using the Wet(%) knob on the GUI?


In the daw, yes, when using multiple buses. Maybe it's Reaper, maybe it's my computer..
My name is Jonas.
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:30 am

mr jkn wrote:
de la Mancha wrote:
mr jkn wrote:A more serious problem surfaces when blending a compressed bus with the original source and phasing appears. Seems to be a latency related problem (?)


Do you mean blending in your DAW or blending using the Wet(%) knob on the GUI?


In the daw, yes, when using multiple buses. Maybe it's Reaper, maybe it's my computer..


OK, I get it now. Yes, phasing can be a problem with many compressors when doing the parallel/NY compression in the DAW due to any slight latency in the plugin. That's why I include a wet/dry mix knob on all my compressors, because the internal routing follows an identical processing path, there is no phasing.
User avatar
xybre
KVRAF
 
1759 posts since 19 May, 2006, from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Postby xybre; Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Hey dlm, I know this was kinda addressed in the "coming soon" thread, but I was wondering about comparisons between Sidearm and these plugs. They are both the same price, and I'm not opposed to picking up both of them. Also I like the GUIs on the both, the "clean vector" and the "big friendly knobs" each have their appeal. I could say Sidearm looks almost like a Novakill plugin, while GTO/GTX has more in common with the Uhbiks. (that could be a selling point, since there's no compression Uhbik, and dammit we need matching plugins! :p )

So correct me where I'm wrong and elaborate if possible: Sidearm looks more flexible/versatile, and more transparent. While GTO/GTX are designed for colour/character and simplicity, somewhat splitting the overall functionality of Sidearm between the two.

As an aside: I haven't really used compressors much, but I've recently realized I've been using various types of distortion to very similar effect (though perhaps not as effectively - I'm not away of side-chained distortion.. though it sounds awesome!), and after hearing your demo mp3s I was really impressed. I've got the demo plugins and I will give them a spin, probably buying one or the other in the next 24 hours (preferably less).

- edit ----
Unfortunately, while they sound good, both compressors function as dual-mono (4 total mono tracks) rather than 2 stereo inputs in my DAW (XT2).

I tested Bootsy's Density MKII and it shows up as two stereo inputs and processes and outputs in stereo. :?
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro
gearlust: Wadorf Blofeld, Dave Smith MoPho, Roland JP-8000, Access Virus A, Korg Radias
machinecode by: u-he, Tone2, Stillwell, de la Mancha, Ugo, Camel, Togu, et al
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 am

xybre wrote:So correct me where I'm wrong and elaborate if possible: Sidearm looks more flexible/versatile, and more transparent. While GTO/GTX are designed for colour/character and simplicity, somewhat splitting the overall functionality of Sidearm between the two.


Yep, you got it pretty much right there :)

Sidearm has got many more options, especially in processing the sidechain signal, which can allow very precise triggering of the compressor on certain frequencies and/or stereo/mid/side position. It also has stereo metering, with all 3 meters visible at the same time.

GTO and GTX move away from the techy, many-user-options approach to give a simple and straightforward set of controls and some added colour compared to sidearm.


xybre wrote:- edit ----
Unfortunately, while they sound good, both compressors function as dual-mono (4 total mono tracks) rather than 2 stereo inputs in my DAW (XT2).

I tested Bootsy's Density MKII and it shows up as two stereo inputs and processes and outputs in stereo. :?


That's an oddity in eXT2 and SE that I never figured out. It only happens in eXT2, as GTO and GTX show as 2x stereo in all my other hosts (Cubase, Sonar, Live, FL Studio, Reaper, Renoise, Podium). If you add a multi-input effect in the eXT2 sequencer, it only processes the L side, so you need to add it in modular and then it shows as 4 inputs (L, R sidechain L and sidechain R). weird.
User avatar
xybre
KVRAF
 
1759 posts since 19 May, 2006, from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Postby xybre; Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:16 pm

de la Mancha wrote:That's an oddity in eXT2 and SE that I never figured out. It only happens in eXT2, as GTO and GTX show as 2x stereo in all my other hosts (Cubase, Sonar, Live, FL Studio, Reaper, Renoise, Podium). If you add a multi-input effect in the eXT2 sequencer, it only processes the L side, so you need to add it in modular and then it shows as 4 inputs (L, R sidechain L and sidechain R). weird.

Yeah it is weird, I spent a while looking for stereo -> mono (and back) plugins to build a modular system which would allow me to use the compressors correctly, but it was a pain in the ass and I couldn't find what all I needed to do that. I'm kinda bummed because I really liked GTO/GTX (though GTO had too much of what sounded like line noise), and I'm not as fond of Density. But I can't use them really. :(
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro
gearlust: Wadorf Blofeld, Dave Smith MoPho, Roland JP-8000, Access Virus A, Korg Radias
machinecode by: u-he, Tone2, Stillwell, de la Mancha, Ugo, Camel, Togu, et al
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:28 am

xybre wrote:Yeah it is weird, I spent a while looking for stereo -> mono (and back) plugins to build a modular system which would allow me to use the compressors correctly, but it was a pain in the ass and I couldn't find what all I needed to do that.


I'll look into making some kind of adapter myself. The alternative is to make a version without the sidechain inputs, so you lose the ability to do external sidechaining, but otherwsie the compressors will work correctly in stereo in eXT2
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:30 am

Also, 2 other updates:

- I extended the offer for GTA to be included until 7 Nov, for thse who may be waiting for payday

- I added alternative demo versions, that have 1s silence every 20s, for those who don't like 1s noise every 20s
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:14 am

xybre wrote:I spent a while looking for stereo -> mono (and back) plugins to build a modular system which would allow me to use the compressors correctly, but it was a pain in the ass and I couldn't find what all I needed to do that


Do you want to try this in between your stereo source and GTO/GTX in eXT2

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/plugins/S2DM.zip

It has one stereo input and 2x Dual Mono outputs

The 2 pairs of dual mono outputs are the same, just a duplication, so L, R, L, R

You only need to use the first pair and connect to the first pair of input to GTO / GTX

The second pair is only there to cause the weird thing where eXT2 sees it as dual monos. If I only have one pair, eXT2 sees it as a stereo out. weird huh?
scottkane
Banned

Postby scottkane; Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 am

awsome plugs!
User avatar
xybre
KVRAF
 
1759 posts since 19 May, 2006, from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Postby xybre; Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:33 am

de la Mancha wrote:Do you want to try this in between your stereo source and GTO/GTX in eXT2

http://www.delamancha.co.uk/plugins/S2DM.zip

It has one stereo input and 2x Dual Mono outputs

The 2 pairs of dual mono outputs are the same, just a duplication, so L, R, L, R

You only need to use the first pair and connect to the first pair of input to GTO / GTX

The second pair is only there to cause the weird thing where eXT2 sees it as dual monos. If I only have one pair, eXT2 sees it as a stereo out. weird huh?

Ahh that works perfect. Great work around. I was able to sidechain it too using a second instance of S2DM for the classic ducking bassline effect.

I did some more googling just now and I found that The Piz created a work-around for it which is a little bit more convenient to use. In all the googling and KVR searching apparently I was looking for the wrong thing. Here's his work around:
http://thepiz.org/xt/link.zip (also includes an unlinker)

You should see a new purchase hit your paypal :D
I'll post something about the dual mono bug on the new XT Uservoice thingy. Its worth a shot.

Unrelated: I like how the demos don't make noise when there's no sound going through it.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro
gearlust: Wadorf Blofeld, Dave Smith MoPho, Roland JP-8000, Access Virus A, Korg Radias
machinecode by: u-he, Tone2, Stillwell, de la Mancha, Ugo, Camel, Togu, et al
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:00 am

:tu: glad to have another happy customer :D
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:58 pm

A little visual indication of the GTO mojo on a 500Hz sine wave

Image
User avatar
xybre
KVRAF
 
1759 posts since 19 May, 2006, from Nomadic (Chicago and San Francisco mostly)

Postby xybre; Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:29 pm

de la Mancha wrote:A little visual indication of the GTO mojo on a 500Hz sine wave

GTO is nooooiseeyyy. I like it better than GTX other than the "analog hum" it has (there should be a switch for that). I still need to play with GTA too, and see what its like.
noise and beats: Negutyv Xeiro
gearlust: Wadorf Blofeld, Dave Smith MoPho, Roland JP-8000, Access Virus A, Korg Radias
machinecode by: u-he, Tone2, Stillwell, de la Mancha, Ugo, Camel, Togu, et al
User avatar
de la Mancha
KVRian
 
1307 posts since 4 Oct, 2005, from London, UK

Postby de la Mancha; Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:36 am

GTA has less hum, more shhdjjjh :)
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects