Want to try microtuning Zebra? Here is some useful software.

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Update: A tuning script for arp and tun files, and a conversion to .tun, of the free scala microtuned presets.
Urs wrote: For those interested, here's a little webinterface that lets one do tunings based on 12 note scales:

http://www.u-he.net/scripting/Arprestrictor.php

It was meant to be used so that one could eliminate out-of-scale tones from the arpeggiator, but it can also be used to create loads of other tunings.
replicator wrote: I did a conversion of the scala archive a while ago. They can be found here:

http://www.box.net/shared/6flif1bsnb

Hi,
I was just doing some research into microtuning, tun files, and such. I came across this site which might be useful to any others who might like to try using alternate tunings.
Here is a free program called Scala, which you can use to create your own alternate tunings.
Something else that I saw, is a download of 3500 tunings available for free.
You have to scroll about halfway down the page to see them.
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/index.html
Hope some other Zebra users find them as useful as I did.
Cheers,
Michael :)
Last edited by mcnoone on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Not that it matters to me because microtuning is hippy stuff but how do you get Z2 to recognize the tuning files IE how do you load them into Zebra ?

jupiter8 wrote:Not that it matters to me because microtuning is hippy stuff but how do you get Z2 to recognize the tuning files IE how do you load them into Zebra ?
You put the .tun files into the provided by Zebra installed tun file folder.
Then in Zebra under Global/FX section you can see a small Voice Tuning Table, to load a tun file.
It can be used to create more realistic alternate tuned instruments, such as sitar, or gu zheng...many others. It can also be used for some interesting arps.
I'm not a hippy though.
edit: Corrected location. voice tuning table.
Last edited by mcnoone on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Not all microtuning scales are "Hippy stuff" anyway.. you are seriously narrowing your palette if you ignore .tun support just because you dislike Saitur or Pagano tunings etc. There are lots of "normal" sounding tun scales as well

If anyone knows where to find some tun files, please let me know.
I would like to find more.
Thanks.

MCnoone wrote:If anyone knows where to find some tun files, please let me know.
I would like to find more. Thanks.
I think the Camel Audio products include a bunch of them, which you can simply copy into u-he's "tunefiles" folder.

BTW: Many of the .tun files I found don't work properly in Zebra - they appear to be transposed way down. Also, on my iMac, the Voice Tuning Table window sometimes comes up empty with the title "not applicable". Ideas?

Just found out that Scala program in my first post doesn't convert files to .tun.
too bad.
Here's a program for windows that will create micro tunings and export as .tun
Microtuner LE
http://download.cnet.com/Microtuner-LE/ ... 42267.html
Here's one for mac osx
Max Magic Microtuner
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/16tone/
Last edited by mcnoone on Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCnoone wrote:Just found out that Scala program in my first post doesn't convert files to .tun. too bad.
from http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/Sca ... torial.pdf
1. Run the Scala program from either the desktop icon or by double-clicking its EXE file.

2. Type into the command-line "cd tun", then hit the Enter key on the keyboard.
Scala is now focused inside this folder and will save files to this location.

3. Click the File Menu (located at the top left of the Scala application window),
and chose Open Scale. Navigate to the SCL folder and find the file labeled
"indian_12.scl". Double-click this file, which will load the microtuning into Scala.

4. Type "show" in the command-line, then Enter. Now one will see information
and values for this microtuning in the field above the command-line.

5. Type "set synth" in the command-line, then Enter. Next, one is prompted to
specify the synth for which the proprietary microtuning data is to be created.
Type "112" in the command-line, then Enter. One will now see that the TUN
format has been selected.

6. Type "send/file", then Enter. Type the file name "indian_12.tun", then Enter.

7. The TUN file has now been created and saved in the TUN folder, and is ready
to be used with the soft-synth! Load the TUN file just created into the soft-synth plug-in from its UI.

@Howard
Thanks, I didn't read enouph on it. I thought it was scala format only.
I guess I'll find out about that problem loading them, soon enouph.

My scale/tuning package has been updated, it does now
include the latest Scala archive (version 48, 30 Dec
2004, 3195 scales) in SCL and TUN format, a description
of the included scales, as well as a new and improved
version of my Scala Converter for converting SCL to TUN
format. The Delphi class for adding SCL/TUN support to
your programs/plugins has also been updated and some
bugs fixed.

Cheers

Toby

http://www.tobybear.de/
Site is offline at the mo..

A "set default scale" option would be nice.

MCnoone wrote:Hi,
I was just doing some research into microtuning, tun files, and such. I came across this site which might be useful to any others who might like to try using alternate tunings.
It is a free program called Scala, which you can use to create your own alternate tunings.
Something else that I saw, is a download of 3500 tunings available for free.
You have to scroll about halfway down the page to see them.
http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/index.html
Hope some other Zebra users find them as useful as I did.
Cheers,
Michael :)
Does anyone have predefined .tun files? I tried creating some using Microtuner LE, and wasn't able to get Zebra to recognize them (when I select one in Zebra, for "Voice Microtuning", it has no effect on the tuning).

Thanks,

i use LMSO by Jeff Scott.

It's payware but almost certainly worth it. I don't think I'll need to use another tool for tuning ever. (tho mac only)

www.nonoctave.com

works fine with Zebra. As well as any other synth with a little bit of work.

love it.

microtuning is super cool.

slowriot wrote:i use LMSO by Jeff Scott.

It's payware but almost certainly worth it. I don't think I'll need to use another tool for tuning ever. (tho mac only)

www.nonoctave.com

love it.

Jeff, thanks for the info. I have a PC. In any event, I'd prefer not to get involved in the creation of the tuning files, but rather use pre-existing ones. Do you (or does anyone) know where I can get .tun files that have already been created, and that work with Zebra?
Thanks,

Mike

mleghorn wrote:
slowriot wrote:i use LMSO by Jeff Scott.

www.nonoctave.com

love it.

Jeff, thanks for the info. I have a PC. In any event, I'd prefer not to get involved in the creation of the tuning files, but rather use pre-existing ones. Do you (or does anyone) know where I can get .tun files that have already been created, and that work with Zebra?
Thanks,

Mike
Wusikstation comes with 2846 .Tun files but I had to change them manually .tun so that Zebra could recognize them.

mleghorn wrote:
Thanks,

Mike
btw Jeff made the program, not me, I'm just a user/fan.

It's interesting to get involved in creating the files, but is not something I've been able to into loads.

anyways, no I'm sorry but I don't know a tool to create .tun files for zebra.

Return to “u-he”