WaveShell dll crashing Cubase 5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Waves Tech Support is ONLY available for customers whose maintenance agreement under the Waves Update Plan is current.

Extend your Waves Update Plan today.
My Cubase 5 was working just fine until suddenly it started crashing during startup. I did everything imaginable, including reinstalling Cubase, messing with "compatibility settings" in Win7, and in short I pinned down the problem to one file: "WaveShell-VST 6.0.7.dll". Whenever I remove it from the VST plugins folder, everything is perfect, Cubase loads. I have no idea whatsoever why it started crashing Cubase. And the Waves plugins were working fine. I also uninstalled the Waves plugins and reinstalled (latest version, 6.0.8, but for some reason the dll is named 6.0.7), tried different installers (online, offline).

I already had that WaveShell crashing cubase problem a long time ago. Updating solved it. But now there's nothing to update.

Waves sucks, yes, no support, f**k that, etc. We all know.
I just want to know if anyone has any idea what I could do to solve this, maybe delete some Waves files that aren't removed during uninstallation or something.

Win7 64-bit, Cubase 5.1.1 32-bit.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

i think its safe to say that waveshell has crashed every host alive...best to avoid, stick to the dx versions

Try deleting Application Data\Waves Audio\Caches
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

iain_morland wrote:Try deleting Application Data\Waves Audio\Caches
Thanks but nope, didn't solve it.

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but it may be worth paying your WUP for v7 and if v7 still doesn't work, contacting support.

(Last year I emailed them on xmas day and had a response within an hour!)
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

It may be, if nothing else works, but I have no idea how this could start crashing the host after working fine for so long. Their pathetic "FAQ" has nothing. Paying so much money just to possibly get their piece of shit dynamic link library to not crash my host is pretty insane.

Might be worth converting the plugins to individual .dlls with the shell2vst tool

Frantiac wrote:Might be worth converting the plugins to individual .dlls with the shell2vst tool
The shell2vst exe crashes on Win7.. at least with this dll.

try putting cubase.exe in the program exceptions list under DEP (data execute protection) found under advanced system settings. I don't know the ins and outs of this but it worked for me, in fact it's the first thing i do if i install an audio app which scans my vst folders.
occy

Yeah I did that, first thing after installing it :).

what protection are you using?
it may be a longshot, but i had a well respected firewall screw up one dll a while ago. despite scanning, nothing turned up as a threat but it just seemed like the app was acting like norton back in the day and locking up the vst. when i changed firewall apps, the problem went away.

like i said, it may be a longshot but worth checking out (note: for me, it wasn't enough to deactivate it, i had to uninstall it, but i kept the preferences and rules in case i was wrong to decrease the annoyance of setting it up again)

Thanks, I uninstalled Outpost firewall but still the same problem. No antivirus here.

sorry to hear that.

and you didn't install a newer program of any kind that might be conflicting with that waveshell?
you say the shell2vst crashes or gets an error for that specific waveshell?
have you tried using the waveshell or shell2vst on another computer (if you have access to one)?

you need to make sure it isn't an issue specific to your computer or programs. even if it can be solved somehow by updating your waves, you would need to make sure it doesn't happen again.

good luck and i hope you get it fixed

Yes, I tried it on two computers. shell2vst works, but when loading the waveshell dll it crashes. And thanks.

A little note to anyone who plans on buying a second hand Waves V6 license:

(some excerpts from a phone conversation)
We don't support Windows 7 with V6. It's good to know that it worked for you. However, we haven't tested V6 on Windows 7 at all, and don't have any plans to. If you want Waves plugins to work on Windows 7, you have to use V7. If you want to use V6, you can always use an older Windows version.
Of course, they don't bother mentioning that on their website.

Also, they've offered me exactly -dick- as a gesture of good will and I have no choice but to pay $115 to update a plugin bundle that's worth ~$450 only so that it will work on Windows 7, which it did, until it suddenly didn't and started crashing everything.

Return to “Effects”