Edirol PCR-M30, still good buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi!

I don't know anything about midi controllers but wants to buy one.
Do you have experience of the one in the title and have you used it with linux?
I'm on ubuntu karmic right now.
I can buy one for around $100. Is that a reasonable price?

Also, can you compare it to the M-Audio Keystudio 25? Which is better?

/Best regards Tobbe

I have had a very negative experience with the preceding model series of Edirol keyboards. I bought a PCR-50 about 4 years ago and with time it slowly but surely deteriorated. Search this forum or others and you will see that it is quite a common problem with them. Every so often a key would stop functioning. I think that today my PCR-50 has about 10 keys that no longer work. Recently I made a big upgrade to an Akai MPK88. That is way out of your stated budget but if you can get one of the smaller versions in the series, I would heartily recommend it. There is a 25 key version that has semi-weighted keys with aftertouch (not the hammer action of the 88 ) and it appears to go for about 250 USD (looks about the standard after a quick google of Akai MPK 25).

Maybe the new Edirols are better made, I don't know ... but after my experience with the PCR-50, I really don't care to find out. So I went with the Akai. From my experience, I would suggest that you save up the extra 150 USD and go for the MPK 25 rather than spend the 100 USD on the Edirol.

Evidently this is just my opinion based on my personal experience and YMMV.

I've had a PCR-30 for years... never had a single problem with it. Still working! I've been thinking about getting something newer with pads or something but... this one is still working so... 8)

For what it worthes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXD6Gtinvbc . Herr Schneider is using one. Have a look at 5.33
Eventually something intelligent will appear written here. Watch this space.

mine crapped out pretty quickly and had i it back to the retailer 3 times at least, under warranty.
-the keys kept dying.. it seems a common problem.
It sits unused since i bought a novation x-station about a year ago.
A big disapointment for me..
There's a thread here somewhere with disappointed customers.
-at the same time there are people that have had no problems too.
I certainly wouldn't buy it tho, without checking it very thoroughly.

Wow! Thank you all for your replies!
Well, it seems like there are different experiences and opinions. I will take a chance and buy it tomorrow. If Kraftwerk had one it can't be that bad, as long as the keys are working though.
Wonder if I can repair it myself if needed. If all is OK I will probably not open it.. Do you guys repair your own keyboards?
Anyway, I'll send a post about my first impressions of the Edirol pcr-m30 here in a week or so.
Thank's again!

LOL I'm too late..

Trust me the little rubber mechanism under the keys will degrade after 1-3 years. The good thing is you can fix it yourself. You just need to get a (pencil) eraser and clean the contacts once a year or so.

Aside from that they're a nice budget option that I enjoy using.

to my knowledge it was a badly manufactured keypad.. I had dead keys for ages then finally called Roland and they sent me the new keypad free of charge even though it was out of warranty and no receipt! easy to put in, problem free since. Great keyboard. Oh and I believe the M series dont have that issue.

No. The keys go wonky, just like the original ones. Get one of the new Behringer controllers, at least they won't overcharge you for cheap junk.

I use my Korg DSS-1 which is like 20 years old, never been cleaned, anally probed with an eraser, etc etc, and works better than this Edirol POS.

Hi again!
I bought the M30-controller yesterday and have tried it for some hours now. I'm very pleased with the number and variation of controls (sliders/knobs/keys). The configuration procedures seems OK, but I haven't finished reading the manual yet.
Together with the main unit and the manual (which can be downloaded from Roland) I got an AC-adapter and a USB-cable.
The controller can be powered via USB, so I don't have to use the AC-adapter, which is nice!
As mentioned before, I'm on linux ubuntu/karmic koala and the installation procedure for me was as follows: insert usb-cable, turn on controller. :D

The unit is second hand and I got the impression that the former owner had used it for a couple of years, still all the keys seems to respond correctly. Since this is my first keyboard/midi controller I have nothing to compare to though.

To sum up, I'm pleased and happy! It's a bummer I have to study for an exam now... :)
Anyway, thank's again for your response!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”