A new T2 crash eats edit file

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Part of my T2 workflow is now creating a new edit after every couple of hours of work so if I encounter a file corruption issue I never have more than a couple of hours of reworking something. I broke my own rule yesterday, working all day without backing up (stupid me)and at the end of the session, instead of creating a new edit name, I decided to create an archive of the work on another hard drive. The archive saved in less than a second, which seemed strange, so I did it again and created a second archive, neither of which is anywhere on the computer even though it appeared as though they saved (except for the short time that it took to save the archive). I figured something wasn't right, so I closed the program so that I could reopen it and try again. The edit that I had worked on all day was gone! And two of the imported midi files, eight second drum loops from EZdrummer, were in the project file list with times of over six minutes each. I don't have a clue how such a quirky problem could happen, but today I am spending hours associating the audio files and re-sequencing all of them---all of the midi sequences are gone, most of which were hand sequenced (not being the greatest keyboard player) with many notes being manually placed through a couple of gradual tempo changes....exTREEEMly tedious. (refer back to the "stupid" reference in the second sentence. Now, I am relatively new to all of this, but I have tried out a number of sequencing programs and this is the only one that was intuitive for me. Tell me, are all of the programs prone to such wastes of time and creative energy, or is it just this one. If I need to deal with a learning curve to avoid lost work, then so be it. Any idea if there is a chance to recover what I lost...maybe from a temp file or something? :cry:
Larry S. Sizemore

I had the same.
and I contacted Usersupport about it. Appart from "you must have edited it outside tracktion" (which is bs.) they are of no help at all so far...
In my situation it seemed to have to do with a lack of space on my HD.
Hope it helps!
I started all over again...
All the best! oNNo

I've never had that problem with T2, so I doubt it's T2 itself. Most likely hardware stability (overclocking? Just asking.) or hard drive space as noted.

metamorphosis wrote:I've never had that problem with T2, so I doubt it's T2 itself. Most likely hardware stability (overclocking? Just asking.) or hard drive space as noted.
No Overclocking, but I did figure out that I picked the wrong drive partition to save the archive to, accidentally selecting one that had very little space on it (a Linux OS partition). I don't know how large an archive file can be, but I did select the no compression option and I am guessing that it may have been larger than the space left on the drive. Dumb mistake on my part, but as I said, I am relatively new to all of this.

That being said, the fact that archiving to a drive where there isn't enough space should result in a dialog box telling you that there isn't enough space to create the archive, not in completely wiping out the data. I call it a bug.

Thanks for the responses.
Larry S. Sizemore

lsizemore wrote:archiving to a drive where there isn't enough space should result in a dialog box telling you that there isn't enough space to create the archive, not in completely wiping out the data. I call it a bug.
+1

It does the same thing for rendering. For some reason Tracktion doesn't have a user dialog or response mechanism for hard drive full scenarios. Added.

lsizemore wrote:I call it a bug.
...a ran into another one.
The groove editor would not close anymore...
...all edits lost.

Return to “Tracktion”