Saturation plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

You have to check Crysonic nxtasy v3. It could be very subtle because of the mix knob :) And it's 4 band! Till tomorrow 20 $... ! :o

guppi wrote:You have to check Crysonic nxtasy v3. It could be very subtle because of the mix knob :) And it's 4 band! Till tomorrow 20 $... ! :o
I've never cared for using a wet/dry saturation setup. To me it creates the effect of two sounds, you hear a clean sound and a small amount of saturation behind it. I think it takes a higher quality saturation algorithm to saturate 100% of a signal and still have it be a subtle dynamic effect but where you can hear the whole signal going through the preamp. For this reason I don't like wet/dry on saturation. I think crysonic use it to get more mileage out of mediocre algorithms.

I like the softness control (knee) in GClip.

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gclip.htm

a nice clipper but i would not consider that a saturation plugin

SWAN808 wrote:
sunny_j wrote:
CaptainMARC wrote:You could try Christortion.

http://www.savioursofsoul.de/Christian/?page_id=8
i've tried that but i did not like the results..YMMV
+1 tried that very rough.
Tried that one as well, I got YHWH.
"The educated person is one who knows how to find out what he does not know" - George Simmel
“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - John Wooden

so according to this thread all saturation plugins in existence are soo awesome? :roll:

generalstargazer wrote:so according to this thread all saturation plugins in existence are soo awesome? :roll:
Yes, because it's KvR. On Gearslutz you'll find that only 1 or at most 2 are pretty good, but $7000 real deals are preferable.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

futurefields wrote:
guppi wrote:You have to check Crysonic nxtasy v3. It could be very subtle because of the mix knob :) And it's 4 band! Till tomorrow 20 $... ! :o
I've never cared for using a wet/dry saturation setup. To me it creates the effect of two sounds, you hear a clean sound and a small amount of saturation behind it. I think it takes a higher quality saturation algorithm to saturate 100% of a signal and still have it be a subtle dynamic effect but where you can hear the whole signal going through the preamp. For this reason I don't like wet/dry on saturation. I think crysonic use it to get more mileage out of mediocre algorithms.
To me, the algorythm isn't too bad. The concept of multiband k2 + k3 with the mix knob is helpfull. Similar to the Jeroen Breebart Smash Pro but with less CPU consumption.

But there is room for improvement, sure. The best sounding
saturation I've ever heard is the 112 dB Redline Tube Preamp. But this one come's also with a mix knob and it's helpfull too :wink:

SWAN808 wrote:Im looking to find a PC version however most seem to lump 2nd and 3rd harmonics together into one process - and this is less good IMO as the 2nd harmonic doesnt impart so much punch and seems to make to signal warmer in a mushy way....any PC VST alternatives?
Two plugins come to mind:

Melda Productions MEquializer
- can create harmonics for each band, which can also be manually activated/deactivated and shifted by semitones)

C.Budde's ChebishevWaveshaper
- can create up to 24 harmonics on top of the fundamental no matter if positive or negative, or mixed. It's IMO actually more responsive than Christortion.

Maybe one of these tools is the right thing for you?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I really love Virsyn Vtape. It just does a great job of softening/saturating things without completely killing the transients. The adjustable flutter is great too.. I set it at about 10:30ish. Decapitator is good too, but it destroys peaks and transients so I only use it occasionally. Vtape is great on the drum buss, gtrs, and even the master buss.

If only Vtape had pre-emphasis like Voxengos Tapebuss it would be the best high freq. transient tamer out there. More plugins should have adjustable pre-emphasis.

For realistic Tube saturation, Predatohm is amazing! Urs Sat is good, but a bit overrated.

Return to “Effects”