Cubase users - what are you using the logical editor for?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Just wondering what your most common requirements of the logical editor are and if you have any functions you perform with it that you would consider essential?

Cheers

8)

I have random project LE scripts (or "actions" as they're called elsewhere) for various things like muting tracks by name, trimming automation, deleting tracks not being used, stuff like that. It needs more targets and conditions though.

Some of the preset factory scripts are handy like "Delete All Automation Beyond Cursor". I have key commands that move selected parts +/- X bars, that kind of thing. Whatever you need really, of course within it's current conditions and targets.

I wouldn't call any one script essential but when you need to perform a really complex midi edit the Midi Logical Editor can usually get it done. The Project Logical Editor OTOH is still relatively new, and while powerful, they left some stuff out.

I wish it could show/hide mixer channels for example. Maybe Cubase 6 will extend it's capability a bit more.

Is the project logical editor a midi logical editor for audio??? i know the LE usage (useful), but never heard of the project one, sorry

There are two logical editors... the midi logical editor which is probably 15-20 years old and the project logical editor which appeared in late v4 I think. The latter attacks things like tracks, parts, audio events/clips, midi events/clips, automation, track labels, folders, all kinds of things like that in a project.

For example: You could set a PLE script to record enable, solo, or mute any track that meets a certain condition, or delete all tracks that have no parts on them or mute all midi events shorter than 1 bar. Random stuff like that...

I use it for a range of stuff.

Changing the use of the mod wheel..

Muting hits in the drum tracks... ie If I had a midi track, I've created a preset to mute the kick or whatever.

Mike

Hey Mike... hook me up with Tamanda Walker. :hihi: Very cute... although we seem to be separated by the ocean, with that steering wheel being on the right.

Cheers for the replies gents!

It's mainly the MIDI Logical Editor I am enquiring about. To be honest it's from the perspective of emulating it's common functions in the form of one or a few VST and/or JS plugins. :D

I am just a velocity scaling guy with the LE meself so I am wondering what the more esoteric, but fairly common, functions are.

A bien tot!

Never use it; never felt the need. Maybe I'm missing out on something? How I do things suits my needs :)

captain caveman wrote:I am wondering what the more esoteric, but fairly common, functions are.

A bien tot!
Well for midi it does a split by pitch that is ultimately more user configurable than the default split function... there's an "Extract" function there (cut and paste to new track) that is good for all kinds of things like that, pulling custom ranges of notes from midi tracks into new tracks in one step. The few seconds it takes to setup is faster than a manual cut/create-new-track/create-empty-event/paste. Lots of little things like that.

My most common use is probably "Delete Patch Changes" for standard midi files after import.

Suffice to say, it's not uncommon to see or hear of people doing manual midi edits in Cubase that take 2-3 minutes or more that the LE could do in 15-30 seconds without ever opening the key editor... it's certainly worth digging into.

LawrenceF wrote: Suffice to say, it's not uncommon to see or hear of people doing manual midi edits that take 2-3 minutes or more that the LE could do in 15-30 seconds without ever opening the key editor... it's certainly worth digging into.
I have to admit that I thought I knew everything about Cubase, but that LE Extract mode was news to me - and that's even after looking through all its f-ing functions yesterday! I think that says more about the unhealthily good times I had in the late '90s than anything else. :lol:

It's definately only the Delete/Transform ones that can be done with live/rendered plugins anyway, having had another look at the LE drop down. I'd like to hear about the 2-3 minute edits that take 15-30 seconds though, not necessarily from your good self but from anyone because I have often heard about this stuff and tend to think about guys doing MIDI loop libraries and stuff rather than music.

Anyway, all the best.

Aw... never mind. :hihi: It's all been said before. All the best to you also my friend.

No worries, I read your post and those are exactly the kind of logical problems I am working on. There is a slight hiccup with defining bars n beats with time sig changes with JS that hopefully VST will accomodate, but for 4/4 stuff it's no problemo!

Hasta la vista/W7!! :)

LawrenceF wrote:Hey Mike... hook me up with Tamanda Walker. :hihi: Very cute... although we seem to be separated by the ocean, with that steering wheel being on the right.

:hihi:

I've had to paste sections in from a very different tempo and reached for the Logical Editor and scale the time.
If I had to work in a given intonation I did not feel like manipulating myself somehow, I'd work with it. My needs are not exotic.

That's good to know about the extract option in in, thank you for that Lawrence.

CAP!!! What's up?!?!

I use the LE for two things mainly:

1) Random velocity

2) Selecting every other note

Other that that, not much goin' on....

Cheers.
UniversalSampling.com "Euphoria" - Percussive Tonal Scoring lib now avail. Check out the Freebie Patch!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”