Magix Vandal amp sim = Winner in terms of sound quality so far

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Enclosure Damping" in the Cab section = just that. Tighter Or Looser feel (IE: open or closed back design) mind im guessing here as i haven't tried Vandal yet myself.

Regarding compression for high-gain guitar sounds i get mine from the power-amp then a mix will only need mild paralell compression *I Find*

Nekro

Silenceborn wrote:Hey can someone please tell me what exactly is that "Enclosure Damping" means in the Cab section settings ? it can change the sound way too much.
Imagine you're stuffing damping wool into the cabinet. Turned to the right, the highs & mids from the cabinet's inside get dampened. Turned all the way left, the least damping occurs. While most guitar cabinets aren't dampened at all (as opposed to a lot of bass cabs), other factors apart from wool affect the dampening effect, such as additional wood parts (traverses, barriers etc.).
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

You could try an Optical compressor, the one sascha did in the fishfillets does opto style pretty well for free/any money really. If i want to nail something it would be an opto compressor or maybe a URIE 1176 clone FWIW

Dean/Nekro

shogger wrote:Yoh John. Do me a favor please. As I have my guitar tuned to C I can't do this test as you say. Please make a comparisson audio with e.g. Le456 and A3 to show what you're talking about. Thanx.

Shogger
Hey

I will do an example when I get the time--soon though. I wont do it in this thread though out of respect for the developer. I'll make a new thread. It is quite easy to hear though. It sound almost like a phaser and occurs as the bar chord blooms. You can also look at the dry guitar waveform to see which notes the modeler cant handle--they are always very spiky and do not form a thick waveform shape.

If you have a chorus with 4 guitar tracks and long sustained distorted chords it sounds like a modulating bee attack

to NEKRO.MACHINE :

Thanks m8 for all the tips and suggestions, I will definitely try those comps you mentioned.
Cheers

to sascha :

Thanks dear sascha for all the great information, now I know what is that Enclosure Damping thing there, I'm actually in heaven with all the great options on Vandal, when an Amp Sim sound good, it can keep me busy playing my guitars for more than 4 or 5 hours non-stop easy. it is somehow addictive as well tbh lol.

Btw, I just discovered again the compressor stomp inside vandal!, it is actually too good for the crunch and high gain stuff ! very edgy and sharp which is perfect for my need at the moment. I believe after playing for more than 10 days with Vandal now, I can say for sure again that Vandal is the winner amp sim without any doubt to MY EARS, I just can not describe the great feeling and sound which I'm getting out of it, my real marshal jcm + boss ds-2 are great when I want to explode myself, it's warm and edgy/dry sound is wonderful, but I could get almost exactly the same sound out of Vandal now when my wife is sleeping, though my beyerdynamic dt-880 headphone is too loud that could wake her up sometime. hehe

Anyway my usual clean/semi-clean sound chain is like this : Tube-Tech Comp by softube (or Vandal comp itself) ---> Vandal ---> a touch of delay(Fabfilter timeless usually)---> altiverb 6 conv reverb. And man I can get a wonderful clean sound which I could never get out of my real amps even so far, though I can get a very nice clean sound out of my Fender Twin Reverb which is so tasty, but this clean sound from Vandal and Tube-tech / Altiverb is just extraordinary. My fender strat delux is singing drunk all the time when I'm playing these days :D. I could not get such nice clean sound out of any ANY amp sim so far tbh. not even close.

Thanks again

Cheers :)
Behold The Beginning Of Sentient Formless Life.. .

johnrrr
I am eagerly awaiting that new thread and example...

Sascha..Does your Dampening = Res?
KM

JohnnyMcFly wrote:johnrrr
Sascha..Does your Dampening = Res?
KM
To some degree, but not only.
The enclosure model is based on a reverb network (pretty similar to the 'HQ' algos in VariVerb, but using less delays because of CPU). The model of course includes resonance buildup, but dampening also affects the overall perception of 'dry'. And it reacts back on the speaker model. Depending on the other settings (for instance spk<>encl balance), there can be drastic changes of the timbre around the bass & mid region. But it can also be very subtle.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

@SASCHA:

Might there be an update with a MIDI fix soon? I can get the knobs to turn by remote but no effect or control on ANY parameter. I really like the sound of Vandal the best to date, but lack of ANY midi control is a real downer :(

Thanks for your time and efforts in any case.

Steviebone wrote:@SASCHA:
Might there be an update with a MIDI fix soon?
Sorry for that. There was an ugly design flaw deep down in the module architecture, and I'm currently working on that.
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

when does the mac demo arrive, does it really take that long ?

sascha wrote:
Steviebone wrote:@SASCHA:
Might there be an update with a MIDI fix soon?
Sorry for that. There was an ugly design flaw deep down in the module architecture, and I'm currently working on that.
Super thanks. I will be waiting patiently :) any chance of ever getting 1 to 1 programability, that is to say MIDI learn for all knobs,switches on the interface?

I know, I know, I' greedy... :)

Thanks again for a very promising product.

Steviebone wrote:any chance of ever getting 1 to 1 programability, that is to say MIDI learn for all knobs,switches on the interface?
Not at the moment. With Vandal, the main focus was simply the sound first.
Every software needs to mature somehow (product XYZ v2, v3, v4, you know...). With the first release, you typicall collect all kinds of feedback and then decide what you add later. This can easily lead to complete changes of workflow or redesigns of certain parts. These things are hard to forsee.
Software development is a bit like writing an album (at least for me). At some point, you need to keep some distance and come back later with fresh ears.
[And after each release, you're as equally tired and burnt-out ;) ]
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

sascha wrote:
Steviebone wrote:any chance of ever getting 1 to 1 programability, that is to say MIDI learn for all knobs,switches on the interface?
Not at the moment. With Vandal, the main focus was simply the sound first.
Every software needs to mature somehow (product XYZ v2, v3, v4, you know...). With the first release, you typicall collect all kinds of feedback and then decide what you add later. This can easily lead to complete changes of workflow or redesigns of certain parts. These things are hard to forsee.
Software development is a bit like writing an album (at least for me). At some point, you need to keep some distance and come back later with fresh ears.
[And after each release, you're as equally tired and burnt-out ;) ]

Well one can dream... hopefully you can at least get the remote thing working so I can switch stomps on/off and control a wah... :)

Thanks for all your hard work... and the sound thing is peachy... by far the best to my ears, and Ive tried them all...

Silenceborn wrote:to NEKRO.MACHINE :

Thanks m8 for all the tips and suggestions, I will definitely try those comps you mentioned.
Cheers
No problems Silenceborn > happy to help if and when i can man :)

All the best

Dean

Edit: Due to all the talk i am actually downloading the demo now and going to give it a whirl on Monday > Curiosity has killed this cat :hihi:

Just a quick note for the interested. A tiny preview on the next Vandal update:

http://vandalamps.wordpress.com/2010/04 ... -no-sleep/
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board

Return to “Effects”