Creating a Kontakt Player Instrument

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt Player

Hi all,

How does one go about creating a standalone Kontakt Player instrument? So I would like to be able to create a standalone player, with a customised skin, etc. Do I have to sign up as a developer?

Thanks

1. You create your instrument in the full Kontakt.
2. You pay the $5000+ licensing fee
3. You send your instruments to NI to be encoded.

5000$?! Is it REALLY that much!?

yikes!

$5000+ licensing fee?

DragonSagoth wrote:5000$?! Is it REALLY that much!?
$5000? Is it really that little!? Since last I checked, it's almost twice that.

Of course, it depends on the size of the library, retail price, whether it's a digital or physical purchase, and other factors.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

I can get a car for that sum (if it's really $10000+), damn!

(Or a brand new PC with 2 6-core Intel Xeons 5600, 48 GB of RAM, 1200W power supply, water cooling, big tower, a couple of bitchin' dual-DVI graphics cards AND 4 24" monitors to go along with it! Shit!)

DragonSagoth wrote:I can get a car for that sum (if it's really $10000+), damn!

(Or a brand new PC with 2 6-core Intel Xeons 5600, 48 GB of RAM, 1200W power supply, water cooling, big tower, a couple of bitchin' dual-DVI graphics cards AND 4 24" monitors to go along with it! Shit!)
Ooo, oohh, put me down for one of those.... :hyper:
My host is better than your host

DragonSagoth,

Well I know of someone that was quoted $5000-7000 for the cheapest "package".
So I actually gave you the price at the lesser end of the scale.
But yeah, it's a lot of mulah. :shrug:

It's a serious investment, but definitely inexpensive compared to licensing prices for other software! I believe they split the licensing fee into two installments, one beforehand and the other within 60 days.
Greg Schlaepfer
Orange Tree Samples
Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

And if you don't pay up by day 60 they send a guy named Tony to your studio and he smashes your RAID array with a baseball bat. It's true. Happened to my cousin's friend's brother.

What about the free kontakt instruments out there?

How do they do it?

venerable bede wrote:What about the free kontakt instruments out there?

How do they do it?
Those aren't Kontakt Player instruments.

It's the player that's licensed to third-party developers.

venerable bede wrote:What about the free kontakt instruments out there?

How do they do it?
you need the full kontakt to use them.

Well actually, it's more than twice that AND in euros... (at least that is what they were askin when i asked...) and this is per product :) So if you are not already rich, then it's not for you...
Your other options are simple:

- Make a library that doesn't requires scripts and try to licence another sampler
- make a kontakt one, but people will need the full kontakt sampler and also do side patches for all the other sampler that you can think of...

About the other samplers, it's not true, there are other platforms that offer licencing, you just have to ask to the devs, but for me it wasn't an option... i need the scrips...

thysm00 wrote:Well actually, it's more than twice that AND in euros... (at least that is what they were askin when i asked...) and this is per product :)
Ouch, ouch, and ouch. And that's why quality player libraries are $350 - $500 a piece, while quality open format kontakt libraries are $150 - $250 a piece. So NI licensing alone is doubling the price to the consumer?

I love my kontakt libs and instruments, but there's a scary gotcha-by-the-short-and-curlies brewing here... :? We're one corp buyout away from the small open format vendors getting squeezed, leaving consumers with only the lucrative rompler market. We need an alternative high-performance streaming engine (Giga, anyone? :hihi:) with a supporting scripting/performance environment that makes it easy for vendors to port to and from NI-script.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”