Can't get Sonar 8.5 to recognize Amplitube 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings --

I've recently updated (after a long layoff from recording) to Sonar 8.5 and Amplitube 3.

I'm not able to get Sonar to recognize Amplitube.

I've added the Amplitube folder to the list of those to be scanned when Sonar 8.5 starts up, and I'm pretty sure I've seen the folder name go by (very quickly) as the scan occurs. But Amplitube does not show up in Sonar's VST plug-in folder.

Has anyone had and solved this problem? I'd be grateful for some help.
----------------
There is a fundamental tension in the Universe between the dope and the wack.

Under Tools, Cakewalk Plug In manager, have you also looked there through all the catagories to see if it is listed? If not, does it show when you selected excluded?
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Not knowing exactly what you have going there, I'll ask this:

1 - Do you have other plugs installed and showing up in Sonar?

2 - Is the Amplitube dll file, in the same main vst folder as your other plugs that are showing up?

I have both Sonar 8 and Amplitube 3 here and all is working fine. I am however just about to install the Sonar 8.5 upgrade, but I do know that both play fine together.

Anyways, more details needed from you.
Paul
Last edited by manytone on Sat May 15, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interesting. Even at x64 I get AT3 to show up in 8.5.3.

If it's showing up on startup (scan) then there isn't really any reason it shouldn't view. You didn't by any chance make it "as synth" did you? It's worth having a look in the synth insert just in case.

Goseba wrote:Under Tools, Cakewalk Plug In manager, have you also looked there through all the catagories to see if it is listed? If not, does it show when you selected excluded?
Thanks for the reply.

Nope. Not excluded.
----------------

manytone wrote:Not knowing exactly what you have going there, I'll ask this:

1 - Do you have other plugs installed and showing up in Sonar?

2 - Is the Amplitube dll file, in the same main vst folder as your other plugs that are showing up?

I have both Sonar 8 and Amplitube 3 here and all is working fine. I am however just about to install the Sonar 8.5 upgrade, but I do know that both play fine together.

Anyways, more details needed from you.
Paul

Thanks for the reply, Paul.

1 - The only plugs I have installed are those that came with Sonar. I tried Guitar Rig 3, and it worked fine.

2 - The Amp 3 dll is not in the same folder as the plugs that are showing up. I have looked for the Amp 3 dll in the IK x86 file and haven't found it. It has to be there somewhere, though, because I'm able to run Amp 3 in standalone mode.

When I do find the Amp 3 dll, can I copy it into the main VST folder, rescan, and expect it to show up on the list of usable plug-ins?
----------------

hibidy wrote:Interesting. Even at x64 I get AT3 to show up in 8.5.3.

If it's showing up on startup (scan) then there isn't really any reason it shouldn't view. You didn't by any chance make it "as synth" did you? It's worth having a look in the synth insert just in case.

Thanks, Hibidy.

It's not appearing among the synths.
----------------

Have you added the folder where the dll is located to be scanned?
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Ok, one important clue........you are x64...that might help narrow the problem down. Humor me if you've already tried this as since many people have gotten it to work in your setup.

Open c/program folder (x86) and see if you have one of two folders: vst (or similar) steinberg. If so, is there anything under either of those that might have the AT3 dll in it.

I had the same issue - I went into OPTIONS/VST PLUG-INS and had it rescan all plug-ins manually (click the rescan button)that and the fact I stripped down my VST Folder (had literally hundreds and 1/2 I never use) did the trick.
Now the proud owner of an avid 11 Rack, Running Pro Tools 10.3.3 - for me it's heaven!

Amplitube 3 is an audio FX, so it will be under Audio Fx (right click in the fx bin) on your default plug-in layout.

You said you had added the amplitube folder to be scanned - that only applies if the .dll is in it.

Do a search for AmpliTube3.dll (I'm guessing the name as I don't have it) and it will be found.

dodokvr wrote:Amplitube 3 is an audio FX, so it will be under Audio Fx (right click in the fx bin) on your default plug-in layout.

You said you had added the amplitube folder to be scanned - that only applies if the .dll is in it.

Do a search for AmpliTube3.dll (I'm guessing the name as I don't have it) and it will be found.

Muchos gracias, Dodokvr. You were absolutely right. I thought I had added the right file to be scanned, but I didn't. It turned out to be in the Steinberg file (Thanks, Hibidy).

So, I was able to insert Amplitube on an audio track and record a bit. Brilliant.

Well, almost. Two remaining problems:

1 -- It seems I am only able to get a mono input into Sonar, although can get a stereo output. Mono input, however, is wimpy sounding, and definitely doesn't let Amplitube do its thing with full awesomeness.

When setting up Amplitube in standalone mode (with the help of a very good IK tech support guy), I was able route two channels of the same mono input signal from my interface (M-Audio Fast Track Mk II) to two different output channels.

I don't yet see how to do this in Sonar. Is the only answer to create two different audio tracks and run the same instance of Amplitube on both of them?

2 -- In addition, I'm getting more clicks and pops when I monitor Amplitube through Sonar than I get when running Amplitube in standalone.

I do have the buffer size way down, and I know that raising it may well reduce the pops and clicks. But I hesitate to do so, because low latency is so important to recording guitar performances.

My system (Sony Vaio, T6600 2.2 Ghz, 4 MB RAM, Win 7 HP) handles the small buffer size well in Amplitube standalone. It would be great to have similar performance in Sonar. Any advice?

A big round of thanks to everyone who has pitched in so far to answer my questions.
----------------

doesn't a3 say where it's putting the DLL during the install process? most fx with standalone versions have something in the program files hive, but also put the vst dll in your vst folder... also, does it show up in other hosts? also, have you tried the cakewalk forums?

bugzapper wrote: Well, almost. Two remaining problems:

1 -- It seems I am only able to get a mono input into Sonar, although can get a stereo output. Mono input, however, is wimpy sounding, and definitely doesn't let Amplitube do its thing with full awesomeness.

When setting up Amplitube in standalone mode (with the help of a very good IK tech support guy), I was able route two channels of the same mono input signal from my interface (M-Audio Fast Track Mk II) to two different output channels.

I don't yet see how to do this in Sonar. Is the only answer to create two different audio tracks and run the same instance of Amplitube on both of them?

I'm not sure what you mean by only mono input?

Are you lining the guitar, or taking input from Aplitube standalone?

Anyway a track in Sonar kan send to plugins as stereo or mono, which ever you choose. As stereo same signal is sent to both channels, but gives plugin a chance to create stereo effect.

bugzapper wrote: 1 -- It seems I am only able to get a mono input into Sonar, although can get a stereo output. Mono input, however, is wimpy sounding, and definitely doesn't let Amplitube do its thing with full awesomeness.

If I follow, try the interleave. It's a button mixed in with mute/solo/record etc and must be set to stereo. Why sonar doesn't have that as stereo for the default is beyond me.

@audio problems: That is going to be harder to pin down. You mentioned buffer, and that is usually the culprit. That one my take a while unfortunately. Try a search at the sonar forum, there seems to be quite a few with similar issues (maybe there is a solution there??)

Return to “Effects”