What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

112db Big Blue Limiter - Thoughts?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

khanyz
KVRian

1137 posts since 16 Jul, 2004, from Yorkshire, UK

Postby khanyz; Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am 112db Big Blue Limiter - Thoughts?

This doesn't seem to have been annouced but looks very nice (dribble, dribble). Have got a trial license but haven't had time to test it. Anybody tried it yet?

http://www.112db.com/bigblue/limiter/
heffus
KVRian

1061 posts since 3 Aug, 2005, from Chicago

Postby heffus; Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:45 am

Looks very cool indeed. Gonna check this out, even though I know I can't afford it. :lol:
dickiefunk
KVRAF

2319 posts since 22 Mar, 2006, from cornwall

Postby dickiefunk; Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 pm

I've tried it and quite like it. It is however a very colorful limiter so don't expect clean/transparent limiting or maximizing!
Liero
KVRian

684 posts since 6 Mar, 2004

Postby Liero; Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:26 am

Looks NICE? That's the foulest, most hideous GUI I've ever seen. That colour scheme is probably called Larks Vomit or something. The guys at 112db must be colourblind.

Sounds nice tho.
K-Slash
KVRAF

1692 posts since 9 Jul, 2006, from Paris, France

Postby K-Slash; Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 am

Liero wrote:Looks NICE? That's the foulest, most hideous GUI I've ever seen. That colour scheme is probably called Larks Vomit or something. The guys at 112db must be colourblind.

Sounds nice tho.

Don't worry, an alternative GUI is coming.

And yes, I saw it ;).
mellotronaut
KVRAF

9975 posts since 2 Jan, 2005, from somewhere in the woods

Postby mellotronaut; Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:59 am

Liero wrote:Looks NICE? That's the foulest, most hideous GUI I've ever seen. That colour scheme is probably called Larks Vomit or something. The guys at 112db must be colourblind.

Sounds nice tho.

if laughter is a kind of vomit, where's the lark now? :lol:
"It dreamed itself along"
Download SOphist
KVRAF

3959 posts since 26 Jan, 2006, from :noitacoL

Postby Download SOphist; Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 am

the GUI is not an happy one, got to give that, but still it's better than this. That's gotta count for something!
professional dilettante, producer, sound-designer, re-mixer, self-righteous, fail.
dhalfen
KVRian

1330 posts since 7 Aug, 2009, from Baltimore, MD

Postby dhalfen; Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:17 am

dickiefunk wrote:It is however a very colorful limiter so don't expect clean/transparent limiting or maximizing!

Which makes it very yummy!!! :D
Liero wrote:Looks NICE? That's the foulest, most hideous GUI I've ever seen.

Well, YMMV, as with no accounting for taste, I happen to really like this GUI. It reminds me of Chandler equipment (I think) and is very easy to read. Of course, I'm not sure why they didn't continue this in their Redline theme... (Just for the sake of being different?)
Download SOphist wrote:the GUI is not an happy one, got to give that, but still it's better than this. That's gotta count for something!

:lol:

Actually, that face is very creative (especially the "look ahead" eye), if a bit freaky -- I may not want to see it (or have it "looking at me" :P) all of the time, but it certainly gets an "A" for making a stunning (for better or worse) impression.
bduffy
KVRAF

19398 posts since 13 Feb, 2003, from Vancouver, Canada

Postby bduffy; Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:27 am

I kinda like the GUI in a big, fugly, vintage way. As for the sound, all signs point to "colored" in the extreme. I'll have to play with it some more to see if it's worth $149...
gmitch
KVRist

200 posts since 14 Sep, 2007

Postby gmitch; Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 pm

That's what i'm concerned about.....how does it sound???
Download SOphist
KVRAF

3959 posts since 26 Jan, 2006, from :noitacoL

Postby Download SOphist; Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:43 am

that's what demos are for... :P
professional dilettante, producer, sound-designer, re-mixer, self-righteous, fail.
dhalfen
KVRian

1330 posts since 7 Aug, 2009, from Baltimore, MD

Postby dhalfen; Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm

gmitch wrote:That's what i'm concerned about.....how does it sound???

It sounds rich, buzzy, and full, and that's with almost no limiting. :D

So imagine what it's like when it kicks into action, and is then overdriven. :-o

Yeah, while at work, it's very crunchy & buzzy! But it opens the sound very nicely, too.

IMHumO, it's excellent for solo tracks lacking fullness, but I'm not sure I'd want to use it on ensemble tracks (or a whole mix) -- even when it's "tame," the sound is noticeable.

I use compression/limiting to shape the sound (in addition to controlling dynamics levels), so something like this (which works as its own colouring device) makes me very happy.

And yes, for goodness' sake, these guys give you a 60-day, no-feature-restrictions demo. Take advantage of it! ;)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects