One-Synth-Challenge 18 - SoHa Sonata!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Sonata

And onward we go with another One-Synth-Challenge! :)

To avoid a Mrblitz000 monopoly on synth choice, second last finisher in OSC 15, HiEnergy was charged with the task of choosing the featured synth for this comp, and has decided we will use 'Sonata' ( by SoHa sound design ) for One-Synth-Challenge 18.

Create a track using only Sonata for all the sounds, including percussion!

Download Sonata here ....
http://www.sohasound.com/sonata.php

Sonata is quite a beast to get the hang of, but well worth exploring as there are some strange and unique possibilties .... definitely passes the 'quirky test' but also capable of excellent quality sounds and tones. :love:

* * * * * * THE RULES ( please read fully) * * * * * *

The track can be made in any host.

All the sounds in our tracks will be created by Sonata

* * * FX * * *
Sonata has some interesting delay and reverb options, and also distortion, so Fx are limited to Dynamics ( comp, limit, gate ), EQ ( inc. exciters etc ) and stereo fx ( pan/autopan/width enhancers etc ) ... if in doubt, give us a shout!

..... Important!......
Other than the hosts native EQ,
All Fx used must .....
**be freeware, and easily available via download.
**generally usable in a wide range of hosts
**not be used in such a way as to transform the sounds to a degree
which makes them unrecognisable as those achievable from Texture.
..... otherwise you will be strung up by the ring modulators and forced to convince David Cameron that he's a cute little bunny who's voice is vastly superior to the best of Kylie, and more manly than Meatloaf!!!!!

.... Fx footnote .... it is a generally held view that in the spirit of the comp, although we all like to create and hear well produced tracks, we should use as few Fx as we dare! ... it all adds to the challenge!

*** There is no track length limit.... but be aware of the prevalence of LASD ... ( listener attention span deficit )

* * * * * How to Submit your Track * * * * *

**** Finished tracks, in mp3 format, should be uploaded here ...
http://OneSynthComp.4shared.com/

* Please post in this thread when you upload a track, that way I can prevent
abuse of this public folder. Anything uploaded without an accompanying post
here will be deleted ....( if I can be bothered ... it's like I build a fence with a 'keep out' sign attached, and I know that makes you want to jump over it ... and I say 'OK, you jumped over my fence, despite my advice, what ya gonna do now?' ... and if you do no more, I might do likewise ... but step on my petunias, and you are history!!! )

For the sake of clarity, name your track in the following format ...

.... Title of Track - Artist Name ( in that order pleeeze! )

* Before you do that though, create a notepad/text file and describe briefly what you have used ( host, how many instances of Sonata, which fx, how many instances.. etc. )
....... keep it short though, that way it can be read in preview mode without the need to be downloaded.

Save the notepad/text file as the title of your track, that way it will sit above or below the track itself when you upload it, and not get mixed up with any others.
( feel free to post or PM me if you have any problems uploading )
**Please do not post seperate, external links to tracks you wish to be included in the comp.

CLOSING DATE for submissions is 8th Aug 2010

* * * * * How is the comp judged? * * * * *

The comp will be judged by the votes of KVR members. Depending on the number of submitted tracks, the voting may take the shape of a single vote poll, or a more flexible multiple vote option.
In addition to the upload folder, you can keep track of submissions, and later, the votes ... as well as access all previous comp tracks and associated info on the new One Synth Challenge site ( many thanks to V'ger for creating this excellent resource ) ..check it out here ... http://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/home

* * * * * And the prizes? * * * * *

@@ Rob_lee has again generously donated some patchbanks.

@@ Karmacomposer will once again donate some fantastic prizes ... I'll leave it to karmacomposer to post with details.

@@ Luftrum has again donated Luftrum5 - a ReFill for Reason featuring a standalone soundbank by Ishq. http://www.luftrum.com/

@@ MaxSynths has donated a copy of the excellent Cryologic.

@@ Himalaya has donated one prize of a choice of any one sound bank as sold directly via his website.

@@ Ziokiller has donated one prize of a choice of any one of his plugins
http://www.genuinesoundware.com/

..... Big, big thanks once again to all the prize contributors for their superb, continued support!

.. ANY OTHER OFFERS OF PRIZES WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
.. PM me, or post in the thread if you wish to support OSC by donating a prize.. ( A great way to 'Plug your plugs' ) .... its never too late to offer a prize for this comp .... there's always a next one!

@@ I will once again rattle something together to add to the growing participants prize bundle..... probably an e-album version of the comp, but maybe something else as well
.......... So, nothing to lose, and plenty of time!

**** Good luck with those tracks! ...... and have fun!!! ****--------

Ahh. Very "Oriental" (if one can use that as an adjective these days). Already banged out a delightful little ditty based on something my long lost 2nd cousin just tapped into my midi keyboard (while I was recording). Way too early to submit though. ;)
Edwin James Lynch (aka "Objectman")
Dead Eddy | Day Job | Follow Me

objectman wrote:something my long lost 2nd cousin just tapped into my midi keyboard
Er... meaning? Image

He came around. Out of the blue. Turns out he lives about 15 doors down. He knocked on the door and I made him a cup of tea and I showed him my music set-up. I was making multiple copies of the OSC18 new synth and he said, "I wrote a tune on the black keys when I was a kid" so I opened Live and he played it on my PCR800 - and that's what I'm basing this OSC tune on. Sounds good, so I'm gonna go with it. he might actually be my 3rd cousin. We're not sure. My Great Grandad's his Great Great Grandad. 15 doors down in the same street. From Liverpool England.

That's the story and I'm sticking with it ;)

:o :o

So ojbectman, 'we' used to call 'black keys' the 'e-flat blues scale.' Maybe try the 'a' note there and about, between the b-flat and a-flat...

yada yada

...it sounds like you're having a good time!

Thanks Mr Blitz. I do have a good time making music. I think it might be a cure for my high BP. I allow one white note, what key is that? A? Actually what the hell is a good way to remember the scales? A mnemonic or something. My g/f just aggravates me with her impossibly complex mnemonics. And can we change key in the one tune? Do we have to return to the original if we do? Big questions I know. I have books, but I think books don't seem to work when it comes to music theory. I just never get it and I love and devour books..

By the way, is there a 1st, 2nd and 3rd prize? Runner-up even? Maybe 1st can get 1st pick of 3, 2nd could pick next 2 and 3rd could have what's left (if there are that many prizes).

I certainly don't expect or enter this comp to "win" - it's good to just hit a deadline (or even miss one) but I do know I have a lot of VSTs (typical non-muso) and I imagine others do too. And wouldn't it be nice if the winner/s could give / share some of their boon to other placed compers.

Especially the greedy pigs who keep winning this comp. :x ... ;p

objectman wrote: Especially the greedy pigs who keep winning this comp. :x ... ;p
:wink:

objectman wrote:.... And can we change key in the one tune? Do we have to return to the original if we do? Big questions I know. I have books, but I think books don't seem to work when it comes to music theory...
I like to "bookend" my tracks with a melody or chordprogression in the same key, so it looks like I know what I'm doing, and I stick some totaly unrelated stuff in between (other key, another tempo, you name it, anything goes !). 8)
Most of my time is spend trying to figure out how to get back to the "main" theme and key. :-o
The more I read about music theory the more confused I get, so I just wing it... If it sounds good to ME, I think I'm doing it right, and that's all that matters. :D

Yeager wrote:
objectman wrote:If it sounds good to ME, I think I'm doing it right, and that's all that matters.
I totally agree!!!

Hi folks, I've had early correspondence re. Synth for OSC19, hope to announce *******'s choice fairly soon .... cant tell you anything right now, other than we could be in for a whale of a time :wink:

Edit ... it's not HiEnergy, it's hivefleetmegalon's choice ... sorry! :oops:

Black keys mostly? Isn't that how you play Jean Michelle Jarre's Oxygene 4?

Anyway, Sonata has some nice 'percussive' sounds and more so should be fun, but with no external reverbs allowed it's gonna be tough for a reverb freak like myself to resist wetting those short sounds thoroughly..

Yeager wrote:Most of my time is spend trying to figure out how to get back to the "main" theme and key. :-o
Gooood. That's a familiar statement. I tend to drift of into the aether and forget that I'm actually trying to make music instead of an audio feature film.
Yeager wrote:The more I read about music theory the more confused I get, so I just wing it... If it sounds good to ME, I think I'm doing it right, and that's all that matters. :D
Also good. :) I think music theory is possibly for people who can't make music. That's my "music theory". Heh heh.

I'd like to know more about keys and scales and my g/f is a trained musician (flute and piano - plays for Perth Band) but to be honest - she can't do ANYTHING other than play off sheet music. I have to convert my stuff to sheet music - otherwise she won't have a bar of it. And my sheet music is mostly empty pages with one held note! I see her going

"Mhm, mhm. You're going to hold this note for 64 bars, right?"

objectman wrote:I see her going

"Mhm, mhm. You're going to hold this note for 64 bars, right?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Instruments”