Zappa-esk goof-off

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by annode on Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

nice lydian lines

jancivil wrote:nice lydian lines
All white keys got me there, with just a sprinkle of midi editing. :)
Thanks for listening.

that is a really cool sounding sitar like lead sound

annode wrote:
All white keys got me there...
Thanks for listening.
Zappa did a piece called Get Whitey, same dealo.

Very nice-- I think FZ would've approved! :)
I am the musical equivalent of a brick...

jancivil wrote:
annode wrote:
Thanks for listening.
Don't have 'Yellow Shark' but found a 'live' version on youtube! (not Zap himself)
My solo sound models how he will play a series of notes i'll meekly call a scale...and he'll switch instruments as those notes are played. Clearly in 'Get Whitey'

I did something similar by using 4 different layered sounds. By chance and not by my design,they have slight differences to their velocity ranges. This is giving somewhat of the effect of different instruments picking up different notes.
I have done this by design in the past and has worked out extremely well.

These 3 sounds and the 'noises' I combined just by chance. It sounded like a Zappa lead sound, so I gave it a go.
- Pettinhouse 'classical guitar'
- Pettinhouse classical guitar 'noises'
- Kalimba (marimba would be the Zappa choice)
Above in Kontakt
- Native Instruments - FM7 - MW Boost (factory preset bank)
Last edited by annode on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

hivefleetmegalon wrote:Very nice-- I think FZ would've approved! :)
Thanks for listening hive :D

fateamenabletochange wrote:that is a really cool sounding sitar like lead sound
Hi fate.
I explain it above if you want to have a screw around.

Thanks for stopping in, and thanks for the compliment. :D

ok, cool. Ends up that maybe different synths tend to have a different default velocity sensitivity, or so it seems, play a bunch together, and a bit harder will trigger some part or other, much softer will bring something else to the fore.

fateamenabletochange wrote:ok, cool. Ends up that maybe different synths tend to have a different default velocity sensitivity, or so it seems, play a bunch together, and a bit harder will trigger some part or other, much softer will bring something else to the fore.
I listened to it again, and i'm convinced i'm a nucklehead for sure. I said it had difference velocity ranges, but it does not. :( The few things that sound like it, happen for other reasons.

But since your interested in that velocity range effect, the least I can do is answer any questions you might have on it.
here's one time I REALLY set it up for multiple velocity range layers on a single keyboard. (no keyboard splits either and I played this whole thing in one take, live.)
Here's an example. (the last big washout at the end was added on later.)

http://home.comcast.net/~newdabranck/mu ... .part1.mp3

I forget how I did it, it was a while back...I can find the cubase project and let you know later. :D

annode wrote:
jancivil wrote:
annode wrote:
Thanks for listening.
Don't have 'Yellow Shark' but found a 'live' version on youtube! (not Zap himself)
My solo sound models how he will play a series of notes i'll meekly call a scale...and he'll switch instruments as those notes are played. Clearly in 'Get Whitey'

I did something similar by using 4 different layered sounds. By chance and not by my design,they have slight differences to their velocity ranges. This is giving somewhat of the effect of different instruments picking up different notes.
That technique goes back to early or even pre-baroque ensembles and is known as hocketing.

anyway, good job

sonic seeds sounds really cool... really does sound organic, growing and dying growing and dying

fateamenabletochange wrote:sonic seeds sounds really cool... really does sound organic, growing and dying growing and dying
Thanks fate!
Yes..it is very organic sounding. I'm proud of that. :D
But like I was saying, it's all a single performance on a single keyboard. Depending on how easy or hard you press the keys, results in the selection of different velocity layer ranges comprising of different synths or sample sets.

I'd like to try setting another one up one day...but it is like choosing the colors you want to use to make a painting.Takes time.

Cool.I use a similar technique, try mp3 'deepseastar' one page back here if you want

Return to “Music Cafe”