Microsoft gs wavetable sw synth - Roland virtual sound canvas.

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to get a free copy of Microsoft gs wavetable sw synth ?
This is the soundfonts library that I would prefer for the almost 2 and a half hours composition of classic music that I am making, but if it were not possible, does anyone know if it is possible to get a free copy of Roland virtual sound canvas ?. Thank you very much.

AVEFENIX wrote:Is it possible to get a free copy of Microsoft gs wavetable sw synth ?
It's included in at least some versions of Microsoft's DirectX; don't know which ones. You might already have it.

Edirol VSC isn't free, it's a commercial product. You might be able to find a deal though. It's pretty old.

Microsoft DirectX10 should have it installed.
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

Isn't it installed as standard with all copies of windows? I can't remember using a PC where it didn't show up in the available midi destinations? :?

I was thinking that it would/could be such. My laptop which I got way back in 2006/7 has it--DirectX9 --
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

The soundfile for the GS Wavetable synth is called GM.dls and resides in your Windows/System32 folder. As far as I can tell the only VSTs that can play this directly are Bismark and possibly Synthfont?

Just tried it with Bismark BS-0 and, just as I remember, all the sounds are absolutely terrible. The whole file is only 3.2mb and you can really tell with the sounds...

Get a decent free GM soundfont and a soundfont player instead, it will sound a million times better.

Download a VST Soundfont player, here's a good one:
VSTSynthFont (V1.047)
http://www.synthfont.com/Downloads.html

Download a GM Soundfont - here's a quite good one.
Follow the link "Click here to download SoundFont 32Mb GM Stereo Set."
http://www.ntonyx.com/sf_f.htm

Put this soundfont in the same directory you installed the VST DLL soundfont player to.

chuck death wrote:The soundfile for the GS Wavetable synth is called GM.dls and resides in your Windows/System32 folder.
You can convert it to a regular .sf2 file with FMJSoft Awave Studio.
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”