Free 64bit virtual midi cable

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.

I am looking for a free 64 bit Win compatible virtual midi cable driver.

I know of "Maple" and "MidiYoke" which are both 32 bit. Both are free but not 64bit. :(

I also know "Nerds - LoopBe" which is 64bit compatible.

LoopBe1 is free but because of it's "feedback detection" it sometimes causes trouble muting automatically :(

LoopBe30 does the job but is not for free... :(

Is there any free, Win 64bit compatible virtual midi cable?

And hints and help appreciated. :wink:
Best regards, TiUser
...and keep on jamming...

TiUser wrote:Hi.

I am looking for a free 64 bit Win compatible virtual midi cable driver.

I know of "Maple" and "MidiYoke" which are both 32 bit. Both are free but not 64bit. :(

I also know "Nerds - LoopBe" which is 64bit compatible.

LoopBe1 is free but because of it's "feedback detection" it sometimes causes trouble muting automatically :(

LoopBe30 does the job but is not for free... :(

Is there any free, Win 64bit compatible virtual midi cable?

And hints and help appreciated. :wink:
Hi,
my rtpMIDI network MIDI driver for Windows should do the trick. By connecting two networked ports together, you have a loopback port...

http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/rtpMIDI.html

Best regards,
Tobias

Hi Tobias.

Thanks so much for answering.

Just have started to read your site and I am thrilled.

Nerds have "ipMidi" but I didn't consider it as they charge 69€ for it. It seems also to be a proprietary solution based on UDF protocol.

Now to see that your project is not only free but connects macs and PCs - sounds like x-mas. WOW.

Be sure I'll try it. :tu:

Now I ask myself if it wouldn't be possible to transfer realtime audio for music via network too.

There is a project called "wormhole" providing a plugin to stream audio between two asio apps but I guess it's again proprietary and pc only...

But ok, I have no mac right now, I just find that idea fascinating.
Last edited by TiUser on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser wrote:There is a project called "wormhole" providing a plugin to stream audio between two asio apps but I guess it's again proprietary and pc only...
its open source, and comes in vst and audiounit flavours.

http://code.google.com/p/wormhole2/downloads/list
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Hi Tobias.

At first this all really works fantastic, it's just a bit different than other virtual midi cables I've tried and used on pc's before.

Here my first impressions:

The need for "Bonjour" is a bit odd but one can live with that. :oops:

Do I need the bonjour printer stuff or is the bonjour service enough? The apple bonjour package installs both, but Win can uninstall them separately...

I was a bit confused about firewall settings. I actually just want to connect ports on my local machine and do not want to open security threads. Can you comment on this please for a non networking guru?

"rtpMidi" routing itself is a bit confusing at first, because it does not work like single virtual midi cables but pairs for both directions... in other words it's about fully bidirectional midi ports.

I realized that this is beneficial as it's simpler keeping overview and way harder to create endless midi loops.

Freely naming ports with any custom name one wishes is also awesome!

I tried to "emulate" single midi cables by routing ports to themselves - but that seems not to be a good strategy and it also didn't work reliably configuration wise.

I will try to do some connect experiments between two pc's some time too.

Summary: You did a fabulous job with this! Highly recommended!
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser wrote:Hi Tobias.
The need for "Bonjour" is a bit odd but one can live with that. :oops:

Do I need the bonjour printer stuff or is the bonjour service enough? The apple bonjour package installs both, but Win can uninstall them separately...
The Bonjour is necessary to find other computers on the network automatically.
So in case you have a Mac or another PC with an activated network MIDI-port, you will find it in the directory and can connect to it - it makes life really simple :-)
The printer-stuff is not necessary, only the bonjour-service is needed...
I was a bit confused about firewall settings. I actually just want to connect ports on my local machine and do not want to open security threads. Can you comment on this please for a non networking guru?
Which firewall settings? rtpMIDI automatically configures the network-firewall to open the necessary ports for use with MIDI-transmissions.

If you mean the "Who may connect to me", then this option allows to restrict the people on the network that can connect to the MIDI-ports that you have opened.
"rtpMidi" routing itself is a bit confusing at first, because it does not work like single virtual midi cables but pairs for both directions... in other words it's about fully bidirectional midi ports.
Thats right - its always fully bi-directional ports - since they are primarily intended to connect to PCs/Macs together. The ability to use them as loopback is just a collateral ;-)

Best regards,
Tobias

Midi-yoke works fine on Win 7 X64

( EDIT: but only for 32 bit applications........ :oops: )

Just digging their website - but to be honest, what's that about? It looks like a developers software toolbox - can do everything via network - solution.

Can you describe in few words what to use this for?
Best regards, TiUser

TiUser wrote:
Just digging their website - but to be honest, what's that about? It looks like a developers software toolbox - can do everything via network - solution.

It's a routing manager for communication between music apps. It supports midi routing in one computer and between networked computer. It can do other stuff too so they are also marketing bespoke solutions for various audio developers.

to-pse wrote: Which firewall settings? rtpMIDI automatically configures the network-firewall to open the necessary ports for use with MIDI-transmissions.
I was not about firewall options in rtpMidi but my zonealarm firewall I have on my machine... I am usually picky with granting server access rights to any applications here. Bonjour seems not to work proper without granting full access and server rights. rtpMidi seems also to need restricted server rights.

Just deinstalled the Bonjour printer stuff - really unnecessary to run rtpMidi proper.
Best regards, TiUser

aMUSEd wrote:
TiUser wrote:

It's a routing manager for communication between music apps. It supports midi routing in one computer and between networked computer. It can do other stuff too so they are also marketing bespoke solutions for various audio developers.
My impression is Copperlan wraps everything in it's own proprietary protocol/format.

When I look over the Q&A section it sounds a bit like overkill - maybe I still don't get what is the main benefit here. I have no and can't see any "normal" hw devices providing Copperlan protocol.

Does Copperlan provide plugins and applications to transport audio and midi between asio applications? All I've read 'til now sounds very "cloudy" to me.
Best regards, TiUser

Just midi - at least that's what I asked them here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... c&start=15

It seems to function just as a virtual cable like Midiyoke (though I have not tried it yet myself) but with potentially more capabilities.

For audio routing you could use Reaper's ReRoute virtual driver.

Referring to the other thread Copperlan looks like a "vision" to me, not something that is already there.

I don't think machine internal midi loopback is limited to classic wired midi speed which is indeed about 1000 command per second. Midi ports are windows functionality that also Copperlan has finally to interface to to interconnect win applications, so what shall broaden the potential bottleneck?...

"...an own ethernet protocoll..." if that is not proprietary I don't know. That really sounds like someone tries to establish it's own "standard". Let's see if this works out. I wouldn't mind simply interweaving audio applications' audio and midi streams via network.
Best regards, TiUser

Tobias, your site seems to have been down for several days.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”