Novation Remote SL mk2 "Need midi o/s" [SOLVED]

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, yesterday i've received my novation remote sl 25 mk2, i've installed automap 3.5 and then i've connected the remote via usb.
After that, automap server recognized the remote and started an OS update.
At some time the update on the remote display got blocked at 10%, on the automap said that the update was finised.
I've switched on/off the remote and now on the display of the remote, everytime that i power up it, a message say "Need midi o/s".

So, sure the flash memory is corrupted as the OS wasn't totally updated but i'm searching a method to reset it.
The problem is that the remote is totally unreponsive and the only thing that come up is that it "need midi o/s".

Automap do not recognized it anymore.

I've sent an email to novation support, in the meantime that i'm waiting i would to know if anyone had the same problem.

Thank you!
Last edited by raikard233 on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

I had mine for 3 days and sold it.. it's the worst piece of gear i invested in im sorry to say..Automap never worked for me at all.
M-Audio gear is by far the better option IMO.
PS
Also you only get 3 activations for the Automap software so don't screw up.
Spar Wide mate :)

Rob

rob_lee wrote:I had mine for 3 days and sold it.. it's the worst piece of gear i invested in im sorry to say..Automap never worked for me at all.
PS

Rob
I've used automap on friends studio, i never got problems and also my friend is pretty fine with a remote sl 37.
Automap is working fine there, also the iphone version on my ipod.
About the activation i got the authorization file, as i've only one laptop i think that saving it and then reload when needed is fine.

The only problem for me is to find a way to install the OS or restore the factory default OS.
I've found into the automap server app package the last .sysex files for the remote 25 sl mk2 OS, but i don't know how to upload to the remote as it is totally unresponsive and displays only "Need midi o/s".

I hope that there's a buttons press combination to unblock it.

My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

That's referring to the A-Station.

I've solved now with the novation contact and i've adviced them also to update the novation's answerbase for the Remote SL MkII as the "Forced OS update" procedure differs for the buttons combo to press when powering on the Remote controller.

The way is to send via midi cable a sysex containing the OS, through a midi interface.
In my case i've used before, without success, an UC-33 and then i've used NI Maschine midi output succesfully.

Now is working fine.

If anyone encounter the same problem with MkII versions of the Remote controllers here's a guide to force an OS update via midi:

Attached you'll find the buttons combo to press when firing up your novation to enter in "Forced OS update" mode.

The procedure is the following:

The 1st step is to download "sysex librarian" from www.snoize.com

Once downloaded, run the application.

Now drag and drop the two sysex files (OS and Data) into sysex librarian.
( Download Sysex files (don't remember version, some ending 1.0.0.26, not sure) )

Connect a midi cable from the "midi out" of your chosen midi device to the "midi in" of your ReMOTE SL MkII.

Connect your chosen midi device and select it within sysex librarian, then ready your SL MkII for OS update:

To force the SL MkII into the "update via midi" mode, connect your SL MkII via USB and hold down the 3 top left midi buttons above the top row of encoders (see attached pic) as you power up the unit. Then press the button directly underneath the txt "PROCEED" to confirm the action. The SL LCD screen should display "waiting to receive OS via midi...".

Now you should be able to proceed by clicking "play" in sysex librarian.

You will know when the SL MkII is upgrading as the percentage value of the installer will increase on the screen of the SL MkII.

When the update reaches 100 percent on the LCD screen, power cycle the unit.

Then you can load the "data.syx" file into sysex librarian, although this time you should be able to select the SL MkII "port 1" in sysex librarian and send this direct to the unit via USB. This does not require the SL MkII to be put into receive mode but "memory protect" needs to be set to "OFF" in the "global" menu.

Be careful doing the procedure, i'm only copying and paste what novation support said me to do, so i've no responsability if you got something wrong!

Rics
:wink:

Exactly the same "need midi o/s" problem just happened to me, my problem is that I can't sort out this problem with MIDI connections since the Sl Mk II is my first piece of gear and don't have anything to connect it to except for the laptop with an USB connection. I just wrote a mail explaining this to novation support, no idea how I will solve this, but I can't buy a MIDI piece of gear just to unlock the controller.

ecuodin wrote:Exactly the same "need midi o/s" problem just happened to me, my problem is that I can't sort out this problem with MIDI connections since the Sl Mk II is my first piece of gear and don't have anything to connect it to except for the laptop with an USB connection. I just wrote a mail explaining this to novation support, no idea how I will solve this, but I can't buy a MIDI piece of gear just to unlock the controller.
Yeah, that's really a big problem, as far as i know, forced os update can be only done via midi.
The only thing that i can suggest you is to find some friends or some audio equipment reseller that can help you with a usb-midi adapter, something lika an m-audio midisport.
If you live near Rome i could help you, i've a pcb card from an old Edirol PCR-30 that i use as jolly for emergencies.

You are right, it can only be done through MIDI. Novation support suggested me to contact the supplier so that they did the update for me. I'm in Spain and have contacted a guy that could help me doing the update precisely with a Midisport. Thanks for the help, I will update when I finally force the OS via MIDI

ecuodin wrote:You are right, it can only be done through MIDI. Novation support suggested me to contact the supplier so that they did the update for me. I'm in Spain and have contacted a guy that could help me doing the update precisely with a Midisport. Thanks for the help, I will update when I finally force the OS via MIDI
Cool, i'm glad for you!
:wink:

I am having the same problem. I went and bought a MIDI cable to do this (for PC). But when I send the OS file it gets stuck at 59% and freezes... Any reason why? Or any suggestions?

codythegrate wrote:I am having the same problem. I went and bought a MIDI cable to do this (for PC). But when I send the OS file it gets stuck at 59% and freezes... Any reason why? Or any suggestions?
If you are having this problem please get in contact with support through the contact form on the answerbase:
http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Someone from technical support will be able to take you through some troubleshooting steps in an attempt to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Joe
Focusrite/Novation Tech Support

I did, turns out I had to bump up the buffer memory is MIDIOX for it to fully install. Buy now I am having an issue setting up Automap with my SL MKii to Ableton Live 8.1.1. The main reason I bought the SL MKii was for its Automap feature so that all the knobs, faders, etc, would set up automatically. Some knobs work, some don't and they control what seems to be random knobs in my VSTs. So now I don't know if the SL MKii is till buggy or not because it does work, but it doesnt seem to be set up correctly. I might not be setting it up right though. If anyone can help me set it up correctly I would greatly appreciate it. I will list my specs below to maybe make it more simple.

- Novation 25 SL MKii (connected via USB) with Automap 3.5.
- Ableton Live 8.1.1
- Windows 7 64 bit (with plenty of power).

Also, soemtimes when I first boot up my computer and turn on my SL MKii, and start Ableton, both Automap and Ableton freeze and I have to close out both the programs and try it again...

rob_lee wrote:I had mine for 3 days and sold it.. it's the worst piece of gear i invested in im sorry to say..Automap never worked for me at all.
PS

Rob
Dude, sorry to break it to you, but most of the time someone says this, they just didn't understand how it works. There have been a couple bugs no doubt, but everything I've encountered has been solved. I haven't gotten the specific problem in this thread but it sounds like that was sorted out too.

Especially if you only had it for three days, I think most likely it didn't click and you got impatient. But that's no reason to say it's a bad piece of gear. M-Audio doesn't come close to the functionality of novations automap. I've had M-audio keyboards and would never go back (I'm purely talking about functionality, not hardware build quality, which M-audio is fine). I'm very happy with my Novation SL61 and SL25 mkII.

I had this problem with a recently purchased mkII, and only managed to resolve it using the instructions posted when I set the timeout to something longer. At that point though, it instructed me to update the firmware again (meaning the sysex files on their faq aren't kept up to date, I suppose), at which point I just thought 'uh, no'.

HI, I have the 61sl mkII.
I have a similar problem: when I try to update the OS to use Automap 3.5, the lcd screen just says CHECKSUM ERROR. I tried via midi and via Automap updater, same problem.
And the Novation support after 10 days told me that probably the keyboard need to be repaired!!!
But if I try to force via midi the old OS (1.1.06) no errors!
So...what's the problem???

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”