Big crusherX-Mac! show in Munich and the results.

Official support for: accsone.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi sound investigators,

this weekend I was part of a big Munich show called "digital analog" in the Munich concert hall "Gasteig". I was invited to run a gig with a multichannel crusherX-Mac! setup facing around 2000 very interested people.

My setup was the following :

Two crusherX-Mac! instances running on an AULab 2 In/10 Out multichannel patch on a two years old Macbook. The 10 Outs of the crushers where mixed down to 4 channel output on a Motu Traveler. That interface feeds via a analog Mackie mixer to a 4 channel surround PA around the audience. The stereo input to AULab was feeded with audio signals coming from several DJs and musicians and routed to the both crusherX-Mac! stereo inputs. I controlled the two instances by routing midi to them and feed them with keyboard and controller events coming from some Doepfer control equipment.

Sure we rocked the house and the best: No crash during that 2 days event (we played around 8 hours...) :D . And it was a good experience to see what has to be changed (in my opinion) to make the handling of crusherX-Mac! even better for live performance. Most of the issues were addressed from the field before and I would like to discuss the tops with you before implementing them in next update:
  • We definitive need a way to set the generators speeds to a chromatic scale. I already started a keyboard implementation that can control the "pitch" of each generator in a "synthesizer way".

Gating and Velocity of Keyboard events should be mapped to Quantization and Volume settings of the generators.

The range buttons of Vapor modulations should be more useful (currently they only divide range by factor 1/10/100 but each settings should have its own scaling regarding to better matching interesting adjustment areas.

Removing MIDI assignments from undo chain

Add DCO volume fader to the mixer. The simple Random DCO button is great to send additional crazy "notes" to the mix in case the live input is too boring...

Replace the mixer routing buttons to simple link buttons. In crusherX-Live! they make sense, in crusherX-Mac! and crusherX-Studio! not.

Output volume fader should also affect additional generator outputs. My left hand was bounded to the mixer faders to control the volume. That was a bit painful and it should be possible to control the overall surround volume by the interface too.

Add automatically CPU load limiting on smaller birth times. Sooner or later there comes a situation where the grain birth explodes (mostly on short birth times and long lengths). That leads to CPU overload. There must be a logic to detect that and decrease automatically the birth rate. This logic has been implemented in crusherX-Live! but not yet in crusherX-Mac! and crusherX-Studio!. I have to update this.
Do you have additional request? I'm open for any hints,

best
Jörg

I am very pleased to see you actively 'playing out' with Crusher X, live musical involvement by the developer is what is too often missing in experimental app's created 'in the lab' ;-)

I am too new to app to make any real suggestions (yet) BUT wanted to make sure and comment about how impressed I am by Crusher X AND especially the support you provided over this same weekend while this was going on! I did not necessarily expect your replies over weekend and given you were doing this event also am even more impressed, thanks again :D

The one thing I will be thinking on concerning suggestions concerns the 'Random' functions. One of the main attractions of Crusher X was your great implementation of this (especially coming from app's like Reaktor), incredibly useful for exploration given the wealth of parameters in Crusher... and I could see a possible addition to it's usefulness by allowing 'lock/unlock' switches for some areas of affected parameters (again, like Reaktor's 'ignore' snapshot/randomize functions). But, I have plenty to still get my head around so I will leave it at that and again, mainly wanted to thank you for all your recent responses and assistance and congratulate you on the successful demonstration/gig.

did you record your gig or some parts of it so we could listen to what you did? I'm really curious! :-)

Actually concerning mappings and scales...I would love to see an ability to map to a decent selection of scales/intervals in some future version (ala Audio Ease's 'River Run' or Low North's 'RTGS-X' for instance) ;-)

I used crusherX in a live Gig last week, sending the signals of 4 musicians via my Mackie Mixer (for individual sends) into Logic and twisting things around with Reaktor, crusherX and various other Plugs. It's a great addition to my arsenal of realtime processing Plugs and the audience didn't close their mouths for a while when they heard those unreal crusherX-textures made out of Guitar, Bass, Drums and Bass clarinet.
The update changes you're planning Jörg sound great.

Crusher freakin' rock! :shock:

Sampleconstruct wrote:I used crusherX in a live Gig last week, sending the signals of 4 musicians via my Mackie Mixer (for individual sends) into Logic and twisting things around with Reaktor, crusherX and various other Plugs. It's a great addition to my arsenal of realtime processing Plugs and the audience didn't close their mouths for a while when they heard those unreal crusherX-textures made out of Guitar, Bass, Drums and Bass clarinet.
FYI, I want to be you Simon when I grow up ;-)

Loopy C wrote:
Sampleconstruct wrote:I used crusherX in a live Gig last week, sending the signals of 4 musicians via my Mackie Mixer (for individual sends) into Logic and twisting things around with Reaktor, crusherX and various other Plugs. It's a great addition to my arsenal of realtime processing Plugs and the audience didn't close their mouths for a while when they heard those unreal crusherX-textures made out of Guitar, Bass, Drums and Bass clarinet.
FYI, I want to be you Simon when I grow up ;-)
Chris, you should re-consider that wish :)

Sampleconstruct wrote: and the audience didn't close their mouths for a while when they heard those unreal crusherX-textures made out of Guitar, Bass, Drums and Bass clarinet.
Exactly what I observed and comments like "this is really, really impressive" are that ones that pushes up motivation! Especially in the second set we compact the surround area (it was too large in the first approach) so that audience where in a closer sonic spot near the stage. It's extremely important that the sonic space it not too large, so that surround grains can't "fly away" - meaning having too much acoustical delay. They should be received as one musical/sound event. If that is the case (let's say up to 250m2) one can get a glance what is possible in a world that is used to stereo gigs :wink:

Loopy C wrote:and I could see a possible addition to it's usefulness by allowing 'lock/unlock' switches for some areas of affected parameters (again, like Reaktor's 'ignore' snapshot/randomize functions).
This is a very good point, thanks! I added it to the wishlist for next updates.

Jörg

Neon Breath wrote:did you record your gig or some parts of it so we could listen to what you did? I'm really curious! :-)
No, no way. I didn't record these session because these sound/music/space event only works in that surround field. A stereo mix will gives one nothing. In the past I experimented with 5.1 recordings, but we didn't had that equipment at hand this time. So grains are gone with the wind (from the speakers) :wink:

Jörg

Loopy C wrote:Actually concerning mappings and scales...I would love to see an ability to map to a decent selection of scales/intervals in some future version (ala Audio Ease's 'River Run' or Low North's 'RTGS-X' for instance) ;-)
You mean that you can load e.g. ScalaTunings (*.scl)? That is possible and would opens a new dimension to different scales. I'll taking that to the list.

Jörg

Could we also have individual Output controls for Outputs 3-10 when using crusherX 3D. It would make level controlliing much easier. The only way to control them now is via the main volume offset fader. Also a level control for the DCOs would be great, until now they're either on or off unless I'm missing something.

Sampleconstruct wrote:Could we also have individual Output controls for Outputs 3-10 when using crusherX 3D. It would make level controlliing much easier. The only way to control them now is via the main volume offset fader. Also a level control for the DCOs would be great, until now they're either on or off unless I'm missing something.
DCO vol control is already mentioned and in the list. Regarding individual output control for IOs: Because we don't have UI space left it leads to a UI rework of the mixer/level area where faders has to be combined with the level leds. But that should be possible...

Jörg

Return to “accSone”