Force Live MIDI Events to Next Bar

Official support for: thepiz.org
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

You've written so many cool/useful utils. I've yet to find this functionality anywhere, maybe you have something stashed away in your archives that can do it.

I'm looking for a way to delay MIDI data, Note On, for example, to the start of the next measure as defined by a running VST host clock(Kore, Plogue, Forte, etc). I thought I might be able to do this using your NoteOnOffQ.dll, but couldn't get it to work, using standalone Bidule as a host, w/ the plugin synced to a bidule transport control. I patched your plugin between a keyboard controller & a softsynth, with the softsynth's arpeggiator also synced to the Bidule transport control. The transport control starts & stops the arpeggiator, the tempo control, etc. are working, so the clock seems good. But the NoteOnOff plugin is wildly erratic.

Does anyone know of a better way to "forward quantize" real-time MIDI input to the start of next bar/measure of a running host clock/transport? I really searched for this, found lots of similar requests, but no solutions.
Thanks for any info. This is for live playing, NOT recording.

P.S. Ableton supposedly has something similar, but only for triggering clips.

I think you mean something like "input quantize". either the host can do it for all incoming midi data or per track selection (look for quantization settings). in this regard, have you tried midiCCStepper? you could enter the clock cycle of whatever is you preference and use this plugin solely for triggerig purposes.

hey gamble,

Yeah, similar to "input quantize", but, as has been covered in many other threads, true real time input quantization (bidirectional) is impossible until someone gets a handle on time travel :-).
The idea here is to be able to pre-load a trigger, whatever that trigger might be, (i.e. specific note on, CC, etc.), by playing the trigger at a non-critical moment, and essentially having that trigger/event "buffered" until the start of the next measure. Useful for a multitude of live performance tasks.

The host, KORE 2, doesn't quantize input, unless I missed it. I know software hosts that record/sequence sometimes have this feature, but I don't want to use a full-blown DAW in record mode for live performance if I can avoid it. I'll definitely check out what you suggested. Piz's MIDI utils are the definitive Swiss army knife, I'm thinking there has to be a way to pull this off w/ some combination of these plugs.
Thanks.

yeah, "noteonoffq" was supposed to be able to do that. i don't remember exactly how it works... hopefully i can find the source file somewhere. it seems to work for me if i press a key halfway through a measure and hold it down until the next bar line.

eventually i will make something that does it correctly.
wrongtastic, baby
tucson's number one gothic rock band since 1995

midiCCStepper didn't seem to be working right either, so here is a fixed version:
http://thepiz.org/pizmidi/midiCCStepper.zip
wrongtastic, baby

That'd sure be great, thanks. noteonoffq seems to work pretty well when set to 1/4 notes, it just gets teste (sp?) when set to an entire bar. I'm really surprised that there isn't any thing like this to be found. A couple of folks seem to have scripted the functionality in Reaper & Energy. There is a lot of noise on the Ableton forum about it lacking this basic function. Go figure.

if you can use CCs then midiCCStepper should work. it doesn't have a real "bar" setting, but if you stay in 4/4 or 3/4 it can do it.

set it like this:
Time Quantize = On
Note Value = 1.00 (whole note)
Host Sync = On
SendCCAfter = On
wrongtastic, baby

Hey there. This function (buffering then sending notes at the start of the next bar) is exactly what I'm looking for.
I've tried using the CCStepper but it doesn't seem to work for note on/off. Is that right?
In using noteonoffq it appears to, as mentioned above, work fine for small levels of quantization, but when set to 'bar' it doesn't work.
If it would help I can set these up with a midi 'monitor' and take some screenshots to show what is, and what isn't, being sent.

I'm no programmer (though I do have a background in logic) but if you do have the sourcecode I would be happy to go through it, compare it to the vst spec and see if I can work out what's going on (I have been meaning to learn to program for a long time!).

Piz, thank you so much for your efforts. Your midi plugins have proved invaluable to me in my musical endeavours over many, many years. Much love and respect to you :)

Yes, midiCCStepper only affects CCs.

This is requested often and I should really do it... noteonoffq was made several years ago in SynthEdit and I'm not sure I have the source anymore. The rest of my code is at http://code.google.com/p/pizmidi/ but if I were writing this I would probably start from scratch. The tricky part is dealing with all the overlapping notes that come up.
wrongtastic, baby

Thanks for the quick reply!

Given the midi tools that you have on offer I have been able to construct a working method.

Midi note in > midiNotesToCC > midiCCStepper > midiConverter3 > Quantized midi note out.

It's a bit convoluted, but it works! :D

That's what I was hoping you would say. Now I can put off writing "midiNoteStepper" for another year or two (just kidding... maybe).
wrongtastic, baby

Just an update for my situation: I was using midi notes to trigger midi sequences in stepbeater (inside audiomulch) however since I've been trying out the piz midiLooper with it's function of starting the loops at the next bar I don't even need my work around anymore :)

However... I have now implemented the audio to CC -> CCstepper -> CC to note arrangement to send midi off to Grizzly (my sample player), the audio output of which in turn is fed back to the audio to CC vst for some interesting generative drum patterns!

Good to hear. But bumping this thread does make it more likely that I'll write a small plugin just for delaying notes until the next bar. Long overdue...

Also, I just want to say that I've loved AudioMulch since 1999 and I'm so glad that it finally (well, as of 3 years ago or whatever) has MIDI routing.
wrongtastic, baby

Audiomulch + Pizmidi = <3

Being able to create feedback loops between both audio and midi is amazing for building up complex generative stuff really quickly.
I'm still using the audio to cc + cc stepper method to great effect, but are there any plans for an audio to midi note plugin?

Oh look at that... a sneaky bump ;)

Any progress on this plugin development.

i'd be keen for a pplugin that can change note duration - not the start point, just the note off point.

where might be the best source code to start from

Return to “Insert Piz Here”