Login / Register  0 items | $0.00New @ What is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Skrillex scales/chord progressions

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

teva995
KVRist

117 posts since 9 Sep, 2010

Postby teva995; Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:31 pm Skrillex scales/chord progressions

does anyone know, if there is , what type of scales/chord structure skrillex music uses. I know alot about music theory but never really headed towards this style, so im interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE3IslWaB4E

I would put it similar so like an aeolian scale/ similar to that of like dragonforce or something, or maybe hes just adding elements to a minor scale?

Very talented musician.
blueghost
Banned

Postby blueghost; Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:12 pm

myxymotoxialian scales aaaah.....

what you do is set your pitchwheel to one tone and randomly wobble it while the sequence is running.

Other tricks are the harmonic/melodic minor scales but -backwards- (semitone, tone, tone etc) The arabic is good for this also also also also also most of the other ones result a bit on the lydian, aeolian, dorian etc side but the truly awfullest are the reverse neapolitan minor and the reverse enigmatic - you realise I mean differently ascending/descending I hope.

Anyway just experiment and sometimes it's just a matter of what goes over the chords. Try a simple 'C'scale (the white notes lol!) over some average diminished/whole tone chords and you'll see what I mean.

But whatever you do, DON'T DON'T DON'T reveal this secret to anyone or we'll come and get you!
teva995
KVRist

117 posts since 9 Sep, 2010

Postby teva995; Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:43 pm

hah thanks man, you seem to know alot about it:D

so would you modulate just the amplitude(volume), or would you modulate the pitch and then you play with the lfo rate settings (in sync). I find you can get alot of cool/weird and similar sounds to the ones in that song by adjusting the lfo modulation rate of the pitch, however it always goes out of pitch obviously...

edit : how do you set your pitchwheel to one note? (do you have to do anything with the modulation wheel?)
simple yet complex

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Music Theory