Saffire 6 USB buffer length problem

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there,

I'm using the Saffire 6 USB for guitar live playing / recording and on my new DAW the Focusrite Asio driver freezes when using buffer lengths lower than 3 ms. The driver is not using "standard" buffer sizes (as in 64 / 128 samples) but uses this buffer length that can go from 1 ms to 20 ms. 1 ms is equivalent of 88 samples.

PC is a Core i3 3.06 Ghz, H57 Intel board with 4 Gb of RAM and Windows 7 x64.

At 3 ms buffer length the performance is excellent (but overall latency is about 20 ms) but as soon as I lower it to 2 ms the audio input / stops - I can only hear a faint "click" every 2 seconds or so. The WDM driver freezes as well because there is no output when playing an audio file either.

The same soundcard works as expected on my older PC (AMD Athlon x2) and on Core 2 Duo laptop (Win 7 x64). Performance is pretty bad on AMD, but I can still hear audio at 1 ms buffer length. There is no freeze.

My first assumption was that the mainboad was "incompatible" with the Saffire so I return the ASUS H55 board and got an Intel H57. The driver freezes with the new mainboard as well.

So now I'm thinking the driver misbehaves on these chipsets, or on systems with i3 CPU and integrated graphics.

Anyone using the Saffire 6 USB with a similar setup encountering this problem ?

Cheers,
EZY
ezyrider

3ms ain't that bad! The extra added latency is where you should concentrate on: you really need an IR cabsim for tracking for instance?

I think your expectations are just too high. Each config combination always has a limit, and you're just pushing it too hard.

Though I can't explain why the supposedly faster new system can't push it as far as the old system. Different OS, different tweaks maybe... :shrug:
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

The extra latency is not introduced by the software.
The 1 ms buffer length in the driver settings means equals 88 samples and total input / output latency of 8 ms @ 16/44K.

So what I'm trying to achive in fact is 8 ms latency.

I really interested in finding out if anyone can use the Saffire with i3 Core at 1 ms buffer length...
I cannot return the Saffire and I'm happy with it otherwise.
ezyrider

I am having this problem also!

Got a new Asus with an i7, windows 7 x64, and cant get below 3-5 ms depending on if Im recording, or just playing music through it.

I have used this interface with my old 2003 dinosaur computer with no problems. Was able to record with 1ms setting, no problem. That was with winXP. Latency was negligible.

So, this is definitely not normal!!!! You SHOULD be able to record with 1ms setting. It is unusable with the settings that I can get. Will have to sell it if I we cant find a solution.

Please contact Saffire tech support, as I have, so they will be more aware of the issue.

A plausible explanation is that there's considerable latency added by the drivers for Win7: an extra buffer that cannot be adjusted. Not much you can do in that case...
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Unless you are recording very tight drums then a few ms wont make much difference. Maybe youre noticing something else and blaming latency? It sounds more like a driver problem or cool and quiet in the BIOS. It goes something like this - 10ms is like standing 10 foot away from a drumkit. USB isnt known for its great latency, best is PCI.

There is definitely additional perceived latency but I'm taking about the settings available in the driver : it should get lower.

I'm recording guitar and I have to admit I got used to the additional latency but it's still noticible when playing faster licks.

KASS : I've opened a support call with Focusrite, they are looking into it. I hope they can reproduce the issue on similar hardware configuration.
ezyrider

Just got a Saffire 6 and I've got an i7 setup so I'll check if the latency sucks myself and get back to ya'll.

RawTheory wrote:Just got a Saffire 6 and I've got an i7 setup so I'll check if the latency sucks myself and get back to ya'll.
So yeah I'm having this exact same problem. I'll be banging on Maschine a bit later and let all know if it sucks too much to be of use for live electronic percussion...

Thanks for testing it RawTheory.
Are you getting the same symptoms ? Does WDM playback work at minimum buffer length ?
ezyrider

OK so this thing is officially a piece of garbage. Whenever I use the mic it sounds like total aliasing, crackling crap. Its mic ins are fully useless whether using Focusrite's own drivers or Asio4All. I'm on a Core i7 Win7 64bit. This thing blows and I'm awaiting a response from Focusrite's support. I doubt they'll be able to help me. I might still test it for perc recording but as for the mic ins, its a waste of money....I'm a bit pissed right now...

Hi there,

Unfortunately this is an issue that has arisen recently and appears to be an incompatibility between USB 1.1 devices and Intel's i-series processors whereby the is no audio output at low buffer sizes.

We are now aware of this issue having reproduced it in house and will be looking to resolve this when possible. As yet, it is not clear whether this is something that will have to be resolved by Microsoft or that can be resolved by a driver update and this is something that we will have to determine before any work can be carried out.

It seems that we're not the only company with this issue:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... 112c6d4780

If possible, I would advise you to use buffer sizes of greater than 3ms - although I understand that this is not always convenient.

Sorry if you are experiencing this issue and I hope that it will be resolved as soon as possible.

Joe
Focusrite/Novation Tech Support

Thanks for posting this Joe, I hope you guys sort it out soon.
ezyrider

well the huge safety buffers make it alot more than 3ms. Why do people continuously buy FW interfaces with crap drivers? I don't get it.

Even the motu win drivers are better than saffire...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”