Granite OSX Public Beta - Open Invite

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Everybody

I would like to invite you all to join the public beta test for Granite on OSX. All public beta builds in this phase will be fully functional (no demo restrictions) and therefore provide the opportunity to check out Granite on OSX for free.

The OSX port includes standalone and AudioUnit versions, both 32bit (64bit will follow later). OSX 10.5 or higher is required, and is Intel CPU only. The AudioUnit additionally requires a host supporting Cocoa UIs.

You can download the current version here:

http://www.newsonicarts.com/granite/dow ... 6_PB11.zip

Please report any issues in this thread, or email support@newsonicarts.com. Comments and feedback are also very welcome in this thread...

...and of course the usual disclaimer... remember that all beta testing is at your own risk.

Looking forward to your feedback!

James
Last edited by newsonicarts on Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Hi

Here on my macmini intelcore duo (10.5.eight *) the installer makes problem, extremely slow, i couldn't install the beta version unfortunately

I just have a listen to the demos on your site, granite seems a very interesting synth/tool in his particular focus

Good luck !

:tu:

____-

* off-topic but spectacular : inside brackets , the number "eight" gives me a 8) ...funny isnt it ?

Krakatau wrote: Here on my macmini intelcore duo (10.5.eight *) the installer makes problem, extremely slow, i couldn't install the beta version unfortunately
Thanks for trying. That is odd - which step did the installer pause on? Possibly it could be the process of the installer (Package Maker) trying to calculate free disk space.

If you are still interested to participate, I could upload a manual install version.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

Mac users out there should check this out. Granite is top notch granular wizardry.

thanks. installed fine on my machine and Logic 9 had no problems with the AU authorization. The only things that came up when I used it were that I couldn't get the keyboard to work for musical typing when I first loaded it. the virtual keyboard wouldn't open in Logic. I restarted Logic and opened it the next time.

I also couldn't get Granite to stop playing when I would turn the playhead in Logic off. Every other track in the song would be silent, but granite was still chugging away. To record it, I routed the track with Granite's output to another record armed track.

Pretty cool plugin. I have finals coming up so I won't be able to play with it; to uninstall I tossed out the .component, the folder in HD/applications and also the folder in HD/Library/application support. are there any other files I haven't located.

One thing I might mention is that I thought it was a little weird that I had to authorize the installation (and de-installation). If I was a little more paranoid that might put me off. Great sounding plug though. How much will it be going for?
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

newsonicarts wrote: - which step did the installer pause on? Possibly it could be the process of the installer (Package Maker) trying to calculate free disk space.
It stays continuously at the "preparing installation" pre-process window, unlikely related to a lack of free disk space (16.54 Go free, for a 111.47 Go capability)

Crashes AU Tool here (amongst other things)

Reports sent at the above email.

This is useless post but for me to bookmark this thread :)

Installed fine here: Mac Pro running 10.5.8

Some issues:

1. I can not load samples using the browser. The browser dialog opens but the sound file is not loaded when I choose it. Drag-and-drop works just fine though.

2. I can't get MIDI learn to work

3. I don't understand the Gate/Retrig functions. I have tried sending MIDI notes to Granite with Retrig set to ON but it does not reset play position

I'm running Live 8.2.1

parma wrote: I can not load samples using the browser. The browser dialog opens but the sound file is not loaded when I choose it.
oh yeah, I forgot t mention this happened to me as well.
macbook pro 2.88 GHz Intel Core Duo, 10 gigs ram, 750GB HD, Logic Studio 9
my blog and some music:
http://rabbitearsmotel.wordpress.com/

Thanks to everyone for testing so far!

Good news is that most of the problems reported are reproducable, so fixes should be pretty straightforward. Regarding the AU Val crash on some machines, I have received a couple crashreports to go by, and there seems to be a common pattern, so this should also be a fairly straightforward fix.

In the meantime, a new build is now available which should fix the MIDI Notes problem in Logic. Would be great if those who had this problem could check it again.

http://www.newsonicarts.com/granite/dow ... SX_PB3.zip
Last edited by newsonicarts on Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

michael2 wrote:I also couldn't get Granite to stop playing when I would turn the playhead in Logic off. Every other track in the song would be silent, but granite was still chugging away. To record it, I routed the track with Granite's output to another record armed track.
Did you enable the GATE button?

michael2 wrote:Pretty cool plugin. I have finals coming up so I won't be able to play with it; to uninstall I tossed out the .component, the folder in HD/applications and also the folder in HD/Library/application support. are there any other files I haven't located.
There is one more thing "HD/User/Library/Application Support/New Sonic Arts"
(the last setting cache file is stored there).
michael2 wrote:One thing I might mention is that I thought it was a little weird that I had to authorize the installation (and de-installation). If I was a little more paranoid that might put me off. Great sounding plug though. How much will it be going for?
Hmmm PackageMaker recommends to set that. I will leave it on for now in case it causes other problems, but will try to solve that later. But rest assured, Granite doesn't do anything "special" to your system :)

To summarise Granite installs to the following locations:

HD/Library/Applications/Granite (Standalone and documentation)
HD/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (AudioUnit)
HD/Library/Application Support/New Sonic Arts/Granite (Factory Library)

Additionally, cache files will be created here:

HD/User/Library/Application Support/New Sonic Arts/Granite
James Walker-Hall
www.newsonicarts.com

newsonicarts wrote:
michael2 wrote:One thing I might mention is that I thought it was a little weird that I had to authorize the installation (and de-installation). If I was a little more paranoid that might put me off. Great sounding plug though. How much will it be going for?
Hmmm PackageMaker recommends to set that. I will leave it on for now in case it causes other problems, but will try to solve that later. But rest assured, Granite doesn't do anything "special" to your system :)

Actually unless it's a simple .dmg with the .component file directly available, I've always been asked to enter my pass when installing things on my computer. Seems normal to me since it writes data in the system folder.

good new, the installation succeeds this time, gonna check it out now...

newsonicarts wrote:Did you enable the GATE button?
I had a similar experience when I first tried Granite.
Maybe you can have gate enabled by default when it first installs?

I think most peoples first expectation is that it should behave like a synth, i.e. with a gate function.

DaddyAdv wrote: I think most peoples first expectation is that it should behave like a synth, i.e. with a gate function.
Not beeing used to granular synthesis though, i strongly agree...

...i would even say, i feel it would really benefit of some small tutorials, in the meantime also as an introduction to granular synthesis

By a current comparison, related tutorials are very likely responsible of the success of valhallashimmer IMO ?

that juste me yet, but wait and see...

Return to “Instruments”