ACE patch contest 2 - Voting

Official support for: u-he.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

>>> APC-02 DOWNLOAD <<<

(please see the APC-02 Submission Thread for more details).

Voting:

- APC 2 has Simple rules - must be an ACE patch, and must use the 'mono', 'legato', or 'duo' voice modes.

- There aren't really any guidelines for voting - all votes are appreciated, and however one decides which patches stand out is the right way. A little feedback explaining votes is very welcome as well, just keep it real short and to the point.

Patch authors:
Please post your (numbered) first, second, and third place selections from this set in this thread. First place translates into 3 points for the patch, 2nd : 2 points, 3rd: 1 point.

If you entered, you must vote, and please do not vote for yourself!

Results will be tabulated one week from the date of this post (12/25/2010, 10:00am UTC -6), when the poll stops running. Most points wins, and best of luck to all the entrants!

Everyone else:
Anyone is welcome to vote. If you wish to do so, please post your (numbered) first, second, and third place selections from this set in this thread. First place translates into 3 points for the patch, 2nd : 2 points, 3rd: 1 point.

Results:
The Winner (preset with the most votes) will receive their choice of 1 free u-he NFR (not for resale) software product. As seen from the previous contests it's not like this is some trivial thing. Urs has exceptional karma with users and this just one example why.

VOTNG CLOSED, FINAL TALLY:
Binary System 2 + 3 + 2 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 2 = 25
Babbling Brook 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 11
Volcanic Mud 3 + 1 + 3 + 2 + 1 = 10
House That 1 + 3 + 3 = 7
Rosy Floyd 1 + 2 + 3 + 1 = 7
Arcade Classic II 3 + 3 = 6
Razorblade Baloon 3 + 2 + 1 = 6
Talk Trash 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 6
4th Dimension 1 + 2 + 1 = 4
Carpentry 2 + 1 = 3
Foxtrot 2 = 2
Tapper 2 = 2
Low Kazoo High Lead 1 = 1

Complete Entrants:

Code: Select all

4th Dimension                   JulianRay
Arcade Classic II               loquat
Babbling Brook                  VADMan
Binary System                   hakey
Carpentry                       Ben Burling
Foxtrot                         thelizard
House That                      hakey
Low Kazoo High Lead             Jandy
Razorblade Baloon               GeorgeZ
Rosy Floyd                      Happy Frog
Sex                             mcnoone
Singing Gorilla                 VADMan
Stacking Clouds                 Happy Frog
Talk Trash                      mcnoone
Tapper                          GeorgeZ
Tumble Down the Gravel Chute    loquat
tuned sheet metal               Jandy
Volcanic Mud                    AzureWave
Last edited by bmrzycki on Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Very good set of patches. My vote:

1 Razorblade Baloon.h2p
2 Binary System.h2p
3 House That.h2p

Great to see the m-wheel and pitch wheel being used in these creatively for expressive effect.
Logic Studio 9, Live 8

Just picked up ACE yesterday, this was fun!
  • 1st - Binary System: I'm a sucker for that duophonic kind of tension, very Odyssey like. This patch also seems to have a very Kraftwerk like quality.

2nd - Carpentry: This nails that atmospheric soundtrack sound he was after. Very eerie.

3rd - Talk Trash: Very industrial sounding and again Duophonic. Reminds me of something NIN might use.
Last edited by GruvSyco on Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey Brian - thanks for doing the honours this time around. :)

You might just want to clarify this:
bmrzycki wrote:Everyone else:
You're welcome to submit a 1st / 2nd / 3rd as well, but not obligated.
I guess 'not obligated' refers to rating three patches in order, rather than not voting at all (which would go without saying), but it's not clear what the alternative is - are you suggesting that they may vote for just one, or two, or three as they choose? If so how are points allocated?

EDIT: I've just realised that you copied the instructions from the last voting thread - and it didn't seem to confuse anyone then, so probably no need to change it now.

hakey wrote:Hey Brian - thanks for doing the honours this time around. :)
You might just want to clarify this...
No problem, I hope xh3rv shows up soon to tell us he's ok...

Simplified the voting instructions, should make sense to everyone involved.

At last the contest has begun. Here are my three favorites:

1. Arcade Classic 2 -- I really liked the sound of this patch. It feels like it's got body

2. Foxtrot -- The use of the mapper and ADSR2 was great (something I'll have to in future)

3. Rosy Floyd -- no cables no problem.

1. Volcano Mud (number #1 coz I just like that kind of thick sound)
2. Binary System (voted as much for the interesting use of duophonic triggering as the sound itself)
3. 4th Dimention

All these entries are great! And wow.. how about carpentry huh? :)

Seriously.. these are all inspirational.. I'm going to add and create songs on around these today!

Choosing was really tough.. and really these three are my absolute favourite for "fingers hitting the keys and wow.. reminds you of something classic

In at three its...
3. Volcanic Mud - Gorgeous elastic bass wobble and lovely highs.. gets fun in legato after the freq cuts off

At number two, just under the top spot its...
2. Rosy Floyd - Just beautiful.. again lots of fun in legato with the glide.. just lovely.. can see that in songs easily

At the top spot.. numero one.. its..
1. Binary System - I defy anyone to play this in duo and change a note and not be amazed! It's great..

I've done a short demo to show off binary system with support from the other two in a 20 second clip to prove it.

Hope you like..
http://depositfiles.com/files/qr7ltjkre

Or on soundcloud here...
http://soundcloud.com/benjaminburling/d ... ce-presets

Cheers!

Ben
Last edited by benburling on Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My top three:

1. Binary System (because it's great fun to play it)

2. 4th Dimension (love the dirt in it, would have been first place, but modwheel doesn't do anything, so minus one)

3. Talk Trash (like a cheap e-guitar sample on an old sampler, and my heart is conquered)

1) Rosy Floyd
2) Babbling Brook
3) Binary System
Sound Design, Music Production

My top 3:

1. Arcade Classic
2. Babbling Brook
3. 4th Dimension

I made a mistake with one of the patches I submitted. The Low Kazoo High Lead. I must have turned the quality up before submitting it. It uses too much CPU on Good. Switch it down to Standard or even Draft for reasonable CPU usage.
...you have to be a musician in order to make music with a synthesizer.

1. Volcanic Mud - just a nice fat tone and not at all muddy!
2. Babbling Brook - does what it says.
3. Talk Trash - as for 2., does what it says! ;)

(updated first post with current vote standings)

Very cool sounds
1 House That - Nice House Sound
2 Tapper - Nice Pluck Sound
3 Talk Trash - Nice Lead Sound

Great sounds again this contest. My choices are:
1. Babbling Brook Nice patch but the credit belongs to URS for creating such nice filters
2. Volcanic Mud Amazingly thick and for juicy for just a single "voice" (swapped the breath for the pressure control and had a lot of fun)
3. Rosy Floyd Very pretty

edited because of a mistake in patch name 4th Dimension changed to Volcanic Mud (original comment was about Volcanic Mud)

Return to “u-he”