One-Synth-Challenge 27: Free Alpha - Submissions and gossip

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Alpha Free Alpha

ONE-SYNTH-CHALLENGE WEBSITE
RULES:
Create a track using only Free Alpha for all sounds, including percussion.

Read the general rules HERE!

Songs must be submitted before 1st May (KVR time)

NOTE:
1. A reminder to name and tag the file properly, they should both be the same like this: Artist - Song Name.mp3 where artist name is your KVR nick.

2. Also remember that ALL effects must be free and available to all. That means NO host effects are allowed. Exception is host EQ only.

PRIZES:

LinPlug: 1 MorphoX and 5 Alpha 3 (full version Alpha)
Wusik : Wusik Station V6 Full + Wusik EVE V2 Full
GSI : Free choice of one plugin
[url=hhttp://www.genuinesoundware.com]Image[/url]
MaxSynths : Free choice of either Cryologic, Teutonic Tension or aPiano
Frantic Records : Free choice of 2 soundsets: Sylenth1, Predator, Largo, Blofeld, PPGV3 or Dune
Electric Himalaya : Free choice of one soundset (as sold directly via the website)
Luftrum : Luftrum5 - a ReFill for Reason
Le Lotus Bleu : Soundbank for Alpha 3
Any other offers of prizes will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by V'ger on Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

My contribution:

DISCO.

8x instances of Free Alpha + Host EQ + Host master EQ and the current version of my limiter, which I will upload later today. And poor plate on a send.

Goodness me ParadoxUn that was quick! Nice tune btw

I'm just starting and have realised that percussion is going to be the real challenge here - there is no noise oscillator!

Will now have to decide between pumping bass drum only, completely weird electronic blippy percussion, or totally percussion free track

Mind you, some extreme abuse in the mod matrix section is giving some interesting cymbal type effects so there may yet be a chance to get a usable snare noise out of this...

Coming to you from my new mac mini! Ahh this thing is wonderfully quiet. Yes, I did the track the other day actually. Took a few hours. Not that complicated production, most for the fun effect.

Some cool stuff here guys. I had Free Alpha at one time but never messed with it much. Just goes to show, it's not the tool but the user that matters. Wow!

Dave

Once again, thanks for hosting the challenge! I've used FreeAlpha for quite some time but never delved very deeply into it's capabilities. This was a great opportunity to brush up on it.

Tokyo Clockwork uses 37 instances of FreeAlpha, though many of those are just little glitches and sound effects that are behind the mix. I'd forgotten about the No Chorus rule and had quite a time trying to recreate the rich string machine sounds I was getting while using one. I ended up with four detuned instances for the strings alone. It's a nice enough sound, but the character is definitely different.

DRUMS:
Kick (TAL Tube, RoughRider, DAW EQ)
Crash (FuzzPlus)
Snare (RoughRider, KR-Delay)
Cabassa (RoughRider, DAW EQ)
HiHat Open
HiHat Closed
Shaker (Rough Rider, DAW EQ)
Cowbell (FreeAlpha, Rough Rider)

BASS:
Bass 1 (Classic Compressor, TAL Tube, DAW EQ)
Bass 2 (Classic Compressor, DAW EQ)

LEADS:
Sine Lead
Dirty Sine (Blockfish, GHi)
Pure Sine (GHi, Classic Compressor, Classic Master Limiter)

PADS:
Strings (4 detuned FreeAlphas)
HiPad
Chords (Classic Compressor, DAW EQ)
Organ Hi
Organ
EnoScape

KEYS:
Chimes
EPiano (TAL Tube)
Solo EPiano (Blockfish)

SFX:
Whoosh (GHi)
Dive Bomb
Glitches (9 FreeAlphas)
Magical (GHi)

37 Instances of FreeAlpha (Bussed with KR-Delay, Ambience, Classic Master Limiter)

Thanks for listening!

ancient

Nice stuff. :)

You guys sure are early, but I'm already started too - riding the inspiration from Zyn.

Btw, what host are you using?

I really underestimated Alpha. It is surprisingly good and very light on CPU.

Looks at least like there'll be no tech issues this time around..

Ableton Live is the host.

...and the only reason I'm early is because I didn't participate in the last round and got confused about the deadline. For a while there I thought I was late!

Well this is where I have to walk away guys. No Linux version :(
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was) - apparently now an 'elderly' so maybe I forgot!

ancient wrote: I'd forgotten about the No Chorus rule
Um, wait a sec; does that apply to the built-in chorus as well? :?

STV

Use of built-in effects is OK and, in fact, encouraged. It is part of showing off what the synth can do, instead of relying on external effects.

The posted rules are a bit ambiguous in this area, but they're under the heading "External Effects"," and what I stated above is consistent with past OSC's.

Indeed, everything on the synth can be used, even if they are modulation effects which are not allowed as external effect. Should clear up the rule text on that point.

@Folderol: That's a shame, but don't you have some old OEM XP or other lying around you can multiboot with?

But good news as Rob Lee (of Frantic Records) has now donated all his soundsets as prizes, thx Rob. :tu:

So in addition to the Sylenth and Predator sets already offered, there will be:

Waldorf PPGV3 Soundset 'Blue Wave'
Waldorf Blofeld Soundset 'Genres'
Waldorf Largo Soundset 'Technotrance'
Synapse Dune Soundset 'Total Recall'
The brand new Sylenth bank released yesterday

-as well as any upcoming sets.

Even more good news as LinPlug has generously offered as prizes:

Thanks to Peter from LinPlug for the contribution. :tu:

V'ger wrote:Even more good news as LinPlug has generously offered as prizes:

Thanks to Peter from LinPlug for the contribution. :tu:
That's a great gesture by Linplug mate :-o :D

Rob

Indeed, that's quite an offer from them. Should give even more nerve to the competition now. :hyper:

I better get working on my track right away.. :D

Return to “Instruments”