SAM (Freeware Sound Library Management Software for Windows)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm currently building a sound library management tool for windows. It's a tool like Basehead SFX, NetMix Pro and like. My tool is freeware (and will be freeware). If you like to test it, you can download it from my site: http://www.jeroenvanrooij.com/sam/Sam.zip. But beware: it's still beta.

Short instruction
Download the program and extract the zip to a folder on your HD. If you place it in your program folder then you must run this program as adminstrator.

Run Sam.exe

In the menu click on database, then import and select a folder with sound files (only *.wav;*.bwf). When done importing you can use the search options. Type some text in combo boxes, select a search field (press blue down arrow button) and press search.

You can listen to the sounds by doubble clicking the file in the listview.

You can copy the file (or files) to another folder with a right mouse click on the selection.

Program version: 0.5.5.14

Library's used:
Bass.dll 2.4
SQLite 3.7.6

Supports:
AND / OR searching
BWF tags
Riff header parsing
Copy to another folder

To do:
Drag and drop to applications
Saving settings
Help file
and more...

Here's an updated version:

http://www.jeroenvanrooij.com/sam/setup.exe

Version: 0.5.5.19

Added:
Save Settings
Own SQL query support

Delphi Sourcecode is available upon request.

Any possibility to have a linux version ?
You can't always get what you waaaant...

stanlea wrote:Any possibility to have a linux version ?
That could be done with Freepascal/Lazarus. I don't use Linux, so it's useless for me to code for Linux.

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

DELETED

shallow wrote:thanks - very kind of you to share this
Thanks. Well, this project needs users to grow, because of the feedback i get. It's been a few years since I programmed something in Delphi.

This project is free because I used Delphi 7 personal and I don't have a BASS commercial license.

Hooray !!!! Great. At last someone thought of making a freeware Sample manager. Thanks for the effort.
Have two quick suggestions here: Flac format support and tagging which seems to me essential for the program like this. And one more please live it portable without messing with the register and installing files all over our system.
Looking forward to further development.

toitoi wrote:Have two quick suggestions here: Flac format support
That should be no problem for me as there's a FLAC extension for BASS.
toitoi wrote:and tagging which seems to me essential for the program like this.
What kind of tagging do you suggest? Tagging with stars like iTunes?

I can add a special field to the database where the user can add notes.
toitoi wrote: And one more please live it portable without messing with the register and installing files all over our system.
Sure, I hate that too :-) So, SAM files are only in the directory where it's installed in. I even use the old ini files to store the program settings in.

The user can install SAM on external HD's, flash drives etc and run it from there by just copying all the files to the drive. 8)

Yuroun wrote:
What kind of tagging do you suggest? Tagging with stars like iTunes?

I can add a special field to the database where the user can add notes.
Well, I am not not really sure what will work best here, but something between Itunes and Native Instruments preset browser maybe, the ability to describe samples different characteristics with your own tags. Favorites and star system would be good to. Some helpful ideas has Zen http://www.bigtickaudio.com/zen/about-zen
Yuroun wrote: Sure, I hate that too :-) So, SAM files are only in the directory where it's installed in. I even use the old ini files to store the program settings in.

The user can install SAM on external HD's, flash drives etc and run it from there by just copying all the files to the drive. 8)
Glad to hear that :P

toitoi wrote: Well, I am not not really sure what will work best here, but something between Itunes and Native Instruments preset browser maybe, the ability to describe samples different characteristics with your own tags. Favorites and star system would be good to. Some helpful ideas has Zen http://www.bigtickaudio.com/zen/about-zen
Sure I know Zen :-)

Hmmm, so what this program needs is favorite tagging, and a custom cataloging with tags. That could be done, but I have to think about how to build a handy system. But it could work :)

I can put somethin like this in the program:

I'm a lazy programmer and I don't want to create my own controls, so I used a checklistbox from the project Jedi.

yes, that looks interesting

toitoi wrote:yes, that looks interesting
I allready build it and removed the old search algorithm. Now I'm adding Flac support and improving the import procedures. At the end of this week there will be a stable version 1.0 release, I think.

It's gonne be a hell of a program that can compete with Basehead SFX. :D

still haven't tested SAM, but it sure looks interesting. looking forward to the release!
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”