MidiShaper 1.4 Out Now / Modulate your synths, effects and hardware

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MidiShaper

We are working on a new plugin - MidiShaper.

EDIT: See http://www.cableguys.de/midi-shaper.html

MidiShaper lets you draw waveforms for its 4 LFOs, and lets you use envelopes, to send pitch, modwheel, aftertouch or MIDI CC data. Thus you can port the flexibility from our synthesizer Curve to any other plugin, you can control any parameter of other synths or effects - if they (or your host) supports MIDI automation.

EDIT: Here's MidiShaper's video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_abcnLiYA

We'll go to beta later, but before that we'd like to share the alpha version with you. This means we are open to input and we can still change features if there is much demand. You can write to contact@cableguys.de or even better post here for an open discussion.

EDIT: MidiShaper is on sales now. See: http://www.cableguys.de/midi-shaper.html

Setup can be tricky, and we will work on tutorials before release. It's easy with Reaper, doable in Ableton Live, other..? If you need help, just post here.

Edit: There's now also an Audio Units version.

EDIT: It's EUR 20/USD 30.
Last edited by Jakob / Cableguys on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Great idea! :)
I'll try it later today.

Cheers
Dennis

nice, will give it a try.
Seems like i now can modulate all the things in curve i dreamed of.

PhinkTink wrote:nice, will give it a try.
Seems like i now can modulate all the things in curve i dreamed of.
Curve has nice built-in modulation anyway. But ya, MidiShaper adds more LFOs and envelopes, so you could even combine the two. It gets even more interesting to modulate your beloved old hardware synth, video software, ..

Oh i WILL be buying this plugin! Finally, i find a simple plugin that can control the parameters many synths only provide via "midi learn". I've always hated not being able to control these type of synths; having to fiddle with knobs and faders instead of simply using an envelope (within Sonar in my case). This is the perfect solution for those of us who don't have an outboard controller. For me, this is so important that i think i'm going to actually buy Curve just to reward CableGuys for such a great lightbulb of an idea :). Many many thanks and congrats for MidiShaper!!

Tim

what a great idea! 20 euros is a nice price, I think this one could be very popular

Glad you like the plugin!

I just quickly did another video which shows how to route MidiShaper in Ableton Live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKhU419KD6k

Let me know if you need an introduction on using it in other hosts, happy to provide that. And is anyone testing MidiShaper yet, and maybe stumbling across problems? Or improvement wishes?

Posting for PhinkTink, as he seems to have issues with posting this text:

I'm just testing it. Had some problems using it in s1. Same drawing Bug that i described in the Bugforum. And under winxp i had bad type of grafic struggles when any window was moved in front of the shaper window. (maybe hardware related, but i didn't register this behaviour when layering and moving other windows).

In S1 it was a bit heavy to make my VST use the "midi learn" function while s1 captured the CC signals and circle didn't receive any.

In ableton i had some problems to figure out how to embedd it. Took me a while to understand how to do. I was wondering why it can be dragged on both track types (audio and midi).hope your video gives me some mo info.

i think it might be helpful/nice when the params would have some more informational "onMouseOver" text-hints in the info pane.

But at all, it seems to be a yet powerful and funny way to extend modulations.
...i hope i will be informed when "sales" starting.

emotica wrote:Posting for PhinkTink, as he seems to have issues with posting this text:
Hey emotica, thanks for helping here!
emotica wrote:I'm just testing it. Had some problems using it in s1. Same drawing Bug that i described in the Bugforum. And under winxp i had bad type of grafic struggles when any window was moved in front of the shaper window. (maybe hardware related, but i didn't register this behaviour when layering and moving other windows).
The drawing bug you described, is this the one which is related to clicking the buttons below the waveform? I have not looked deeply into it, but it seems it's most likely to happen when clicking the buttons very fast after each other (host gets parameter infos, sends them back to us, we process a new waveform, and in the meanwhile the next button is pressed.. something like this I guess).

The 2nd issue you describe, having graphic struggles with moving windows on top of the MidiShaper window is new to us. Which host are you using on WinXP, also Studio 1?
emotica wrote:In S1 it was a bit heavy to make my VST use the "midi learn" function while s1 captured the CC signals and circle didn't receive any.
The Studio 1 people had been very kind at Musikmesse and gave us an NFR, so I'll install it and check today. Also I still got a Circle NFR, just need to install it.
emotica wrote:I'm just testing it. Had some problems using it in s1. Same In ableton i had some problems to figure out how to embedd it. Took me a while to understand how to do. I was wondering why it can be dragged on both track types (audio and midi).hope your video gives me some mo info.
MidiShaper can receive MIDI notes, but it does not have to. You can also just use the LFOs, and have them run forever (set them to "Synced" instead of "Retriggered" or "1-Shot"). For example in Reaper you can just plug it in front of any effect plugin on an audio channel, or in front of a synthesizer on a MIDI channel. We'll do more in-depth tutorials later on.
emotica wrote:i think it might be helpful/nice when the params would have some more informational "onMouseOver" text-hints in the info pane.
Right! We'll do more fine-tuning and finalization, which includes more info-texts.
emotica wrote:But at all, it seems to be a yet powerful and funny way to extend modulations.
...i hope i will be informed when "sales" starting.
Glad you liked it! Ya, I think you are in our newsletter, so you'll get a newsletter on beta start and on release. If not, join here: http://www.cableguys.de/midi-shaper.html

Now some things are bit more clear to me.
Will watch the video now and maybe i figure out some mo to spam about.

Thanks emotica for reposting this for me.

...hate forums, and it looks like they hate me.

Really like it, did a quick Try on Ableton Live, also gives an extra charm to arpeggios.

alexfalcao wrote:Really like it, did a quick Try on Ableton Live, also gives an extra charm to arpeggios.
Actually, now that you say it I wonder if we should include the note grid from Curve, too. If you press the note button in Curve, moving waveform points lets them snap to a note grid.

So, routing MidiShaper to pitch on a synth could let you play sequences. And not just the usual sequences, but you can also draw in slides etc. Pre-condition: The synth would need to interpret a pitch message of +/- 1 as +/- 1 octave. But I guess we could explain this in the info text are of MidiShaper.

Jakob / CableGuys wrote:Actually, now that you say it I wonder if we should include the note grid from Curve, too. If you press the note button in Curve, moving waveform points lets them snap to a note grid.

So, routing MidiShaper to pitch on a synth could let you play sequences. And not just the usual sequences, but you can also draw in slides etc. Pre-condition: The synth would need to interpret a pitch message of +/- 1 as +/- 1 octave. But I guess we could explain this in the info text are of MidiShaper.
That would be awesome! :)

Cheers
Dennis

Bronto Scorpio wrote:
Jakob / CableGuys wrote:Actually, now that you say it I wonder if we should include the note grid from Curve, too. If you press the note button in Curve, moving waveform points lets them snap to a note grid.

That would be awesome! :)

Cheers
Dennis
I am in a prefect working mood today.. expect this features added, and some more info texts, within the next 24 hours.

We just updated MidiShaper to Alpha 2. Wishes fulfilled: Some more info texts, and a button for displaying a note grid. Download: http://www.cableguys.de/downloads/Cable ... r.zip?id=2

We see that quite some people downloaded the alpha. So everyone is happy how it works right now? Or do you see any room for improvement?

Return to “Effects”