OWD/DM2/NPD TD20 no choke?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies for acronym central in the post title. I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else:

Using any Sonic Reality drum product, including Ocean Way, Drum Masters 2 and Neil Peart, none of my cymbals or rides will choke when I play using using VMAP and a TD20. Other drum libraries will, so pretty sure the midi notes are being transmitted to my Mac. Is the choke missing from VMAP? Or am I just n00b-like and there's a setting I need to tweak somewhere either on the TD20 brain or in Kontakt/infinite Player?

Other libraries in Kontakt choke the cymbals? Which ones? I know that some dedicated drum products do but I haven't heard of any Kontakt libraries.

The problem is that the midi message sent from the V-Drum cymbals is aftertouch. So it sends information but when you choke and when you let go too. That makes it more tricky to do in Kontakt than just having aftertouch affect the amplitude which we tried and it didn't work right (because when you let go of the cymbal the sound fades back in... semi-realistic because so would a cymbal in real life but not quite the same way). We might find a work around way to implement this but at the moment there are no real time chokes. There are, however, in many cases a dedicated choke sample of the original cymbal being choked. More for crashes than rides but there are there in some of the libraries and that of course sounds the most realistic... just not something ideal for V-drummers per se (although one could map a choke sample to a pad if needed for live performance).

Any of the Abbey Road series from NI. Although I wouldn't describe them as triggering a choke sample, more quickly fading the volume on the existing sample.

pksnu91 wrote:Any of the Abbey Road series from NI. Although I wouldn't describe them as triggering a choke sample, more quickly fading the volume on the existing sample.
They must be doing that with a script. It doesn't work as far as I know just with the basic Kontakt functionality unfortunately so it's not an easy thing to implement. But that doesn't mean it won't happen in an update at some point. For the moment it's just choke samples. But again those are more realistic sounding at least.

I'm not familiar with V-Drums, but isn't it possible to put a midi-filter in between the drum-trigger and Kontakt and change the aftertouch-event in an note-on-event?

Gunnar

SSD 4 nails the choke thing on v-drums, but they had to create their own player.

SD2 has the best HH control I have seen works great with td-20
The sleeper must awaken.

Return to “Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com”