Interest in Fairlight for Kontakt? (completed)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello folks!

Just dropping by to let you guys know that I'm working on a Fairlight CMI IIx instrument for Kontakt. I received (don't remember where) what I believe is the complete 33 floppy set of factory sounds with hundreds of instruments. I am slowly going through the sounds and turning them into Kontakt instruments, with looping where applicable.

I'm doing this as a personal project, but maybe others are interested as well? Here's what I have so far:

I think it's coming along great :wheee:

I've been at it for about a week, and I don't think I'm halfwy through yet, so this might take a while.
Last edited by cosmosis on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's

cosmosis wrote:Hello folks!

Just dropping by to let you guys know that I'm working on a Fairlight CMI IIx instrument for Kontakt. I received (don't remember where) what I believe is the complete 33 floppy set of factory sounds with hundreds of instruments. I am slowly going through the sounds and turning them into Kontakt instruments, with looping where applicable.

I'm doing this as a personal project, but maybe others are interested as well? Here's what I have so far:

I think it's coming along great :wheee:

I've been at it for about a week, and I don't think I'm halfwy through yet, so this might take a while.

are you recording the output of a fairlight ?
or just loading some wavs into kontakt ?

I'd be interested, although I'm a bit confused, to make it a 'library' that shows like 'Cult Sampler' and 'Phaedra' etc(as yours does) don't you have to pay a license fee to N.I?

Anyway it's a +1 from me as long as it features the sound of this intro - :love:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnnptP5jMas

Yes, and will it also be the outputed sound of the Fairlight itself?

PS I got Cult Sampler, Nostalgia, Wusik Eve and the Hollowsun Vintage Samplers also and still haven't got all the sounds of the Fairlight, you'd think I would have across them 3 but not...

Cult Sampler hasn't even got Orch5 :?

Interested, but I doubt it's legal...

sauli wrote:Interested, but I doubt it's legal...
Do you think Zero-G, Best Service, Wusik and Hollow Sun licensed the useage of the samples also? :?

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

ghettosynth wrote:It's a registry hack for those that care and there is nothing illegal about employing it.
Hmmm, but that hack would maybe make it work with the 'Free' player version, so maybe it would be against the EULA of N.I.

Just normally third party Nki/nkm(which are not licensed as an N.I. library) will only work 'demo aside' with full Kontakt! I.e. Zero-G paid a license fee to N.I. and Phaedra works with the Free Player...

All a bit confusing...

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

OK, some responses:

About it appearing as a library, it is a simple registry add, and the image in the root folder of the lib, named wallpaper.bmp/jpg. I never thought it would be breaking the TOS, but I'd be curious if anyone has specifics on this. Here's a generic one (use at own risk and thanx to zmaj666/netzteil for the info). Lib# must be under 5000 and you should check your own registry to make sure the number isn't in use already:
reg wrote: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Content]
; Replace 9999 with an unused number and enter the name of the library!
"k2lib9999"="Library Name"

; Enter library name here as well, must exactly match the name above!
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Native Instruments\Library Name]
; Enter path to the library, all backslashes must be typed as double backslash marks "\" and don't forget the closing "\" !
"ContentDir"="C:\\Kontakt Libraries\\Library Name\"

; Don't touch this!
"Visibility"=dword:00000003

; Leave one empty line (carriage return) below this comment!

As far as I know, all sounds are there, including Sfzan1, which is the one in the Steps Ahead track. The effects sections are a riot. They are dirty and aliased and unprocessed. It's amazing how different they sound when compared to the ones in Nostalgia. It's obvious they are filtered, enveloped and reverb'd. They also helped me gain a new respect for 80s producers who made the sound so awesome.
It's

As for the legality of all this, I gotta say I'm not too sure. I feel all the work involved would entitle me to some compensation, but I will not sell this. I do not have permission to use Fairlight sounds. I do not have permission to use these specific sounds and I'm not even sure where they came from.

I'd gladly accept donations (I'm out of a job ATM actually) but I intend to release this for free, unless I'm breaking all sorts of rules here?

Maybe release the samples and the nkis separately?
It's

ghettosynth wrote:however, is that a key part of the Fairlight's sound is the SSM analog filters, you won't get that from Kontakt.
Oh yea, what exactly is an SSM filter?
It's

Well if you can do it all legally and above board I'd be very interested - but you will need permission to use the samples surely - otherwise it's only ok for your own use if you own the original discs, a bit like making a Kontakt instrument of the M1 I suppose, you would need Korg's permission. I wonder how Zero-G, Best Service, Wusik and Hollowsun got around it with the Fairlight samples?

cosmosis wrote:As for the legality of all this, I gotta say I'm not too sure. I feel all the work involved would entitle me to some compensation, but I will not sell this. I do not have permission to use Fairlight sounds. I do not have permission to use these specific sounds and I'm not even sure where they came from.

I'd gladly accept donations (I'm out of a job ATM actually) but I intend to release this for free, unless I'm breaking all sorts of rules here?

Maybe release the samples and the nkis separately?
If this is illegal (which could be more than possible) than it doesn't matter if you give them for free or get money for it AFAIK.
cosmosis wrote:[quote
Oh yea, what exactly is an SSM filter?
Those are analog filter ICs cpmparable to the CEM chips. Those were used in some hybrid synths and analog polysnths like e.g. early Prophet 5 models, PPG Wave 2 or the Fairlight.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”