Cumulus CM

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

please tell...

dave

Seeing as it is previewed at the back the current issue of Computer Music, I guess it won't hurt to reveal a little more about Cumulus. For a start, it's free: it will be available bundled, and distributed exclusively, on the Computer Music DVD from next issue (CM170 - available in the UK from September 21st) and onwards.

To quote the manual:

"Cumulus is a granular sampler which radically transforms sample content by breaking it into tiny slithers of audio called grains and reorganizing them to form new sounds. Cumulus is capable of a wide ranges of timbres: from evolving atmospheric soundscapes; to organic physical textures. Up to eight Scenes can be created; a Scene corresponding to a particular sample position and set of synthesis parameters. Scenes can be played in realtime via MIDI, or arranged internally using the built-in sequencer."

So basically, you import samples (and of course, it's got a really nice built-in sample browser, or you can drag n drop audio directly from your operating system or host), place Scene Markers on the clip (using the zoom-able waveform display), set synthesis parameters - play speed, grain size, pitch, etc - and then play the Scenes either using MIDI, or using the integrated sequencer.

It's very configurable: each Scene has 14 individual synthesis parameters, but certainly not overwhelmingly so: using the LINK button you can quickly swap between editing all Scenes, and only the selected one.

It's a incredibly flexible little tool: it's now become my de-facto plug-in for a huge palette of sounds, from Autechre-like granular IDM beats, to big My Bloody Valentine style drones. And there are some really nice presets too, courtesy of KVR's own abstractcats.

And of course, it's got all the niceties you'd expect from the Loomer framework: integrated preset browser with hot-swap preset loading, undo and redo with unlimited history, full MIDI learn functionality, complete 64-bit native support, etc.
Last edited by colin@loomer on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

:shock: :love:

:party: :tu:

Very happy to be part of this. Thanks to Colin and all involved at LoomerAudio!

think i'll love this

dave

Looks awesome :)

Cheers
Dennis

ihatewaiting....

dave

Will it be suitable for beatslicing too, or mostly a tool for granular textures and stuff ?
(which is both great)

It's pretty good for beat-slicing too. Because each slice (or Scene, to use Cumulus terminology) has its own granular settings, there is a lot of flexibility here: you can independently pitch each slice, slow them down, reverse them, etc. And it comes with some good Autechre-style beat-sliced presets.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

really nice plug! O_O

two days to go....

tiddly pom :)

dave

In fact, Computer Music subscribers in the UK should - depending on the efficiency of your local post office - be receiving it today!

Didn't come today :(
Hopefully tomorrow,looking forward to trying Cumulus out :)

Resonator63 wrote:Didn't come today :(
Hopefully tomorrow,looking forward to trying Cumulus out :)
mine did :P
ZZZzzZZzz..zz....zzzzz
My SoundCloud

Mine too! This looks fantastic.

Return to “Loomer”