Sample&Hold/StepFilter

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi mates,
do you know if it's possible to create a S&H-like effect using only ZynAddSubFX? I mean, without chaining external effects in the VST host.
I have this amazing PAD I created on my hardware keyboard and I'm trying to replicate it on ZASFX to share it.
The problem is it ABSOLUTELY needs a step filter effect with random (or randomish) cutoff frequency.

I have no clue on how to get this program to do that since it doesn't seem to have the possibility to connect LFOS to the effect section. Maybe there's some way to do that modulating the oscillator LPF but I doubt it supports sample&hold.

Please tell that I'm wrong ;)
Thank you in advance,
Paolo.
About Me:
Never managed to finish any of my projects :(
If you have some hints about how to not loose interest in something over time, please, contact me :D

Have you tried using the filter LFO with a square waveform and some amplitude randomness?
That should roughly approximate some S&H use.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Clever idea! :) I'm trying right now, thank you (I was already doing something like that)... Hope to get good results since it makes the difference in how my pad sounds.
Btw, I can't seem to find where I can set the mod wheel vibrato frequency... Well, actually I don't know what the mod wheel is controlling.

And also, can I set key velocity to "shorten" the amp Attack? (Or increase the attack level as an alternative)

I can't figure out how to map controllers xD

Sorry but I'm quite new to programming ZynAddSubFX and it's quite different from other synths (which is good obviously).
About Me:
If you have some hints about how to not loose interest in something over time, please, contact me :D

In the mean time, I would like to share the two PADs I programmed today.

I zipped the bank directory (maybe there's a better way to share patches, but this should work :D).

Patches: Samples: The latter is the one that needs that S&H effect. You can hear the difference between it and the original sound I programmed on my Korg TRITON by listening to the very beggining of this ---> http://soundcloud.com/paolomontesel/dri ... oments-wip

Yeah, quite different.

Let me know what you think and if you have suggestion to make a similar effect using only Zyn. I got something barely similar but it is too ripetitive and kinda "synched".

EDIT: Seems like dropbox is slow at the moment :/ files uploading
About Me:

>mod wheel vibrato frequency...
The mod wheel controls the global frequency lfo on pad/ad notes.
By changing the frequency there, it changes what the mod wheel modifies.
The depth defines the range of values from the mod wheel

> can I set key velocity to "shorten" the amp Attack?
There is velocity sensing for the overall amplitude, but nothing that directly modifies the envelope

> I zipped the bank directory
That works fine, for instruments, zyn stores the settings in .xiz (compressed xml) files and for the whole system state, it all fits in one .xmz

> Let me know what you think
I'll try to listen to it later today
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

fundamental wrote:>mod wheel vibrato frequency...
The mod wheel controls the global frequency lfo on pad/ad notes.
By changing the frequency there, it changes what the mod wheel modifies.
The depth defines the range of values from the mod wheel

> can I set key velocity to "shorten" the amp Attack?
There is velocity sensing for the overall amplitude, but nothing that directly modifies the envelope

> I zipped the bank directory
That works fine, for instruments, zyn stores the settings in .xiz (compressed xml) files and for the whole system state, it all fits in one .xmz

> Let me know what you think
I'll try to listen to it later today
Thank you very much for your help.
When I have some spare time I could try to add a stepfilter "preset" to the filter fx. Shouldn't be that difficult, the difficult part is finding spare time xD
About Me:

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”