Want a switch of DAW

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't know if this is the proper forum to post this, but I'm currently using FL Studio Rewired with Reason.
The thing is, I'm very pleased with my set up but I really want to learn how to use one of those powerful DAW's like Cubase and Logic.
The thing is they scare me off because they are simply too complex for me, I'm always used to that dragging sounds in and just chaining them, I hate bothering with adding MIDI and Audios and splitting Midis for drums and whatnot...(you get the idea, what I'm talking about).
Do any of you guys have any tips of what to do and how to come around this issue/Fear? Because as soon as I see this I immediately close down the software because of the fear that it will get over-complicated...
I need help because I really want to learn how to use these powerful tools, since alot of people use them, and I don't want to have the trouble of not knowing how to learn how to use that DAW when someone who, for an example, wants to collaborate with me uses the software and I have no clue on how to use it...

Really? FL Studio and Reason, and you're not satisfied? Don't change DAW because you want to try or because you believe other DAW is more powerful. It's all G.A.S taking over you. You should list the other reason besides the idea that it's less powerful of why FL and Reason is unsatisfactory for you.
Last edited by xamido on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musisikamar.com

Ahseyo wrote: The thing is, I'm very pleased with my set up but I really want to learn how to use one of those powerful DAW's like Cubase and Logic....

I need help because I really want to learn how to use these powerful tools, since alot of people use them
Not a good enough reason to worry about it, IMO. Stick to the tools you're comfortable with.

If you need to collaborate, just swap audio files. Most of us have managed perfectly well with that, and no matter which tools you have, there's still a strong possibility that any potential collaborator will be using something else again.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

xamido wrote:It's all G.A.S taking over you.
+1 :tu:

FL Studio is as powerfull as any other host. It can do almost everything Cubase can do. With a few exceptions like the notation features etc. The only real drawback of FL Studio is the lack of a freeze function for me (I know the workaround, but that just isn't the same).
And there are many, many things which are so much easier in Fruity and even some things which aren't even availabe in Cubase. :)

BTW: I'm a Cubase user, but that doesn't matter here. If Fruity works for you just keep using it.

Just because something is easier to use doesn't mean it not as "pro" as other solutions. Even if the "elitists" keep believing that.

Cheers
Dennis

I'd say keep what you have while you make additions to your toolbox. Don't switch, just expand. IMO, FLS is a powerhouse of an app. And you've already invested time learning it. Why throw that away? However, There is nothing wrong with expanding your horizons.

1. Since you are already familiar with a lot of the basics (using FLS & Reason) you should only need a few points of reference to connect the dots. And drop the whole fear issue. All of them are about as complex as you need them to be. Running one of these other hosts in a parallel project might be a good way to get going. Of take a completed project and reconstruct in your new host.

2. Also, if you're willing to spend that much on a host then consider spending a little on a decent tutorial video as well.

As others have said, if FL does what you want it to do, then don't waste money on another daw. Or the time it will take to learn it. Is there anything specific cubase does that you can not do in your setup?

As far as the learning curve goes, I can understand that. I use cubase and I had the same problem. The trick is to realize that daw's are designed to improve workflow and be user friendly. often when I learned how to do something in cubase, I would think to myself 'oh is that all?' Quite often I made things more difficult than they needed to be, and by simply reading the manual or asking a question of the cubase forums, I was able to figure it out.

However to be fair the cubase manual is the least user friendly and most difficult to decipher piece of literature I have ever come across. Yes, even worse than Melville. The nice thing is that there are many generous experienced users who will take a few moments to help you out if you ask nicely.

thanks guys...And thank you who advised running it as a parallell application! I will definentely try that out, that's what I've done with Reason...Now that's how I started out learning how to use Reason, and now it's really easy for me to use, so maybe that should be it (?)
And I'm not saying FL Studio can't do anything that any other DAW does, it's just that if I go to some kind of studio where they don't have the setup I'm used to or alike...I'm screwed if you know what I mean.
And I am really willing to take the time to learn how to use another DAW as well so I don't get stuck anywhere I shouldn't get stuck.

Ahseyo wrote:thanks guys...And thank you who advised running it as a parallell application! I will definentely try that out, that's what I've done with Reason...Now that's how I started out learning how to use Reason, and now it's really easy for me to use, so maybe that should be it (?)
And I'm not saying FL Studio can't do anything that any other DAW does, it's just that if I go to some kind of studio where they don't have the setup I'm used to or alike...I'm screwed if you know what I mean.
And I am really willing to take the time to learn how to use another DAW as well so I don't get stuck anywhere I shouldn't get stuck.
You are not screwed. If you render all your track as audio you can go to any studio on earth. And the best advice i can give is to stick with 1 daw. You don't have to care about compatibility with other studio, as somebody else already said, there's midi and audio to collaborate with other people. And no, based on your song demo from your soundcloud, cubase might not fit your usual workflow with FL.

The time you spend to learn other DAW is better used to master your own DAW. Unless if you believe your DAW have fatal flaw which makes you hate it.
musisikamar.com

Just wanna add my voice to the chorus. I'm a Cubase user, and I can't imagine myself using anything else, but not necessarily because it's better... Just that I'm used to it, and it does what I need it to do. It's highly likely that your suite can do whatever you need it to as well. And if it does, then there's no good reason to change.

But what I want to add, beyond what's already been said, is that often you might run into this impulse with music software and gear, where A) you feel compelled to 'upgrade,' and B) you're intimidated by the potential complexity.

So in reference to item A:
If you complete good work, and if you're not seriously held back, and if have not completely mastered your existing tools,
DON'T UPGRADE.
Why? Because mastery of one's tools is what most reflects quality creations. Not the supposed quality of the tools.

Item B:
If you do think you absolutely have to take the jump, JUST DO IT. The only way you gain ground in those intimidating initial sessions and projects is by trial, error, and frustration. There's not gonna be any magic nugget of knowledge that prepares you for the next big thing. You're never prepared/always prepared. Just do it.

.... IF you should upgrade at all. Be wary of the marketing hype.

Oh, and read the manual. Seriously.
Read the manual. READ THE MANUAL.
It's made for YOU, the musician, not some Ph.D. physicist. If it's long, it's for a damn good reason. In that case, REALLY read the manual. Re-Read it, even. This is the best way to attain mastery of your tools, and thus quality work, per time spent. Easily.

I'll spare you the cliches......

Most of what I've had to say has already been said. No need to change unless there is something specific you need.

I'd consider trying to learn what you have. Scour the net for tutorials, set aside a half hour a day to LEARN what you have. The RTFM approach only goes so far because they are usually very large........that said.......RTFM :hihi:

Do you already have Cubase or another Host? Or have you tried them on others' computers?

Again, there's no reason to switch unless you really don't like what you have. If you think another package is more complicated, why switch to it?

If you're worried about working for another studio, chances are it won't use Cubase, but Pro Tools. But it's just not worth buying it yourself and switching. Get totally familiar and comfortable with what you have, and if you get a job at another studio, they'll most likely give you some leeway on learning their software of choice.

But basically, if you have the basics down in one package, it will translate to another with only some learning of the workflow.

I switched from a 32-bit host a while back to a 64-bit host, and all of the basics were...um...basically the same. There was a little learning curve, but nothing I couldn't handle fairly quickly.
Blue Phase Music

Ahseyo wrote:Do any of you guys have any tips of what to do and how to come around this issue/Fear?
Say after me:
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!

Better?

Really: Forget it. Export wave files and midi files for exchange and let these guys use their more expensive tools and think they are more pro, cooler or wht not only because they migh have the more complex or what not tool.

An example from the guitar world: There is this in several ways technically inferior guitar call Stratocaster. Many people are using it and loving it to death while there are in some ways technically better guitars out there. So what?

Oh, nice typo, isn't it? :hihi:

Any studio that really wants your business will do whatever they can to work with whatever you have. They run into these situations all the time. Don't feel like you need to do their work for them. When the time comes, call a few studios, tell them what you have and what you want to do, and let them tell you how they're going to make it all work for you.

This is what they do for a living. They are NOT going to say, "Dude, you're not using ProTools? Umm...call us back later, mmmKay?" Trust me, they want your business and are familiar with these sorts of complications!
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

chacka wrote:
Ahseyo wrote:Do any of you guys have any tips of what to do and how to come around this issue/Fear?
Say after me:
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!
Deafmau5 is using FL!

Better?

Really: Forget it. Export wave files and midi files for exchange and let these guys use their more expensive tools and think they are more pro, cooler or wht not only because they migh have the more complex or what not tool.

An example from the guitar world: There is this in several ways technically inferior guitar call Stratocaster. Many people are using it and loving it to death while there are in some ways technically better guitars out there. So what?

Oh, nice typo, isn't it? :hihi:
Actually, Deadmau5 is using Ableton Live nowdays. Check his ustream :D

Otherwise, thanks everyone for the tips...Seems like I don't really need a change then :)

If you want to try something else then do it!
I'm using FL and Cubase and happy with both. It's not an issue of which is the best, but why not trying other DAWs, maybe you'll feel more comfortable.

Price is another thing...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”