CAUSTIC 1.1 adds lots of new features

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Congrats on making such a great app for Android! Which development environment are you using?

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:Congrats on making such a great app for Android! Which development environment are you using?

Mike
Hey, thanks Mike. Caustic is mostly C++/OpenGL so I use VisualStudio for most of the development and debugging on the PC, and then NDK/Eclipse to push it to Android.

No wonder it's so fast.

I never got the push for the 1.1 update - is it in the Marketplace yet?

Mike

Karmacomposer wrote:No wonder it's so fast.

I never got the push for the 1.1 update - is it in the Marketplace yet?

Mike
Yeah, version 1.1.2 is current right now, with 1.2 just around the corner. You can always uninstall-reinstall from the market if it doesn't offer to upgrade, but it should offer it if you load up the "my apps" section in your market.

You're missing out on some good stuff if you're not on 1.1 yet !

Turns out I am using 1.1.2 already. The app is fantastic and pretty much the best music app for android. Caustic cannot be ignored by any android tablet owner.

Mike

Thank you, SingleCell, for the recent push-update to Caustic. Glad to see the new filter types, the gray and white color scheme for the sequencer tracks, and most of all, the export to MIDI functionality... woot!

Guys, for all you Caustic users, let's give back to this developer if we can... if you've made a new Subsynth preset, a decent .wav sample to use for either the Beatbox or the PCM synths, or even just a great song to use as a demo, let's share the goodness. I imagine SingleCell would be grateful to be able to add presets to the subsynth and demo material for the other machines. For example, if you've taken advantage of the nifty "draw your own" waveform functionality (hello PPG-style single-cycle waveforms), then these would surely help Caustic's repertoire grow!

/soapbox

Thanks again, SingleCell, keep pushing the envelope =)

psionic wrote:Thank you, SingleCell, for the recent push-update to Caustic. Glad to see the new filter types, the gray and white color scheme for the sequencer tracks, and most of all, the export to MIDI functionality... woot!
Thanks for those suggestions :wink: !
Guys, for all you Caustic users, let's give back to this developer if we can... if you've made a new Subsynth preset, a decent .wav sample to use for either the Beatbox or the PCM synths, or even just a great song to use as a demo, let's share the goodness. I imagine SingleCell would be grateful to be able to add presets to the subsynth and demo material for the other machines. For example, if you've taken advantage of the nifty "draw your own" waveform functionality (hello PPG-style single-cycle waveforms), then these would surely help Caustic's repertoire grow!
Yup, I plan to ship a few demo songs with the next version, and allow for the demo version to load songs so people can see what can be done, I've got about 3-4 songs right now, but I'd love more... same for samples, but I've got plans to make the PCMSynth even better so you'll be able to do a lot more with less.

I'm adding pattern sequencers to all machines now, and hope to make the rack dynamic (choose your machines) for the next big release... might be a while before it's out, but it'll be worth it if I can get all those features in. Caustic 2.0 is coming! I'll be posting updates on the new stuff once I've got something to show.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Is the ARMv6 version still available? The Dropbox link came up empty. The video in the market is awesome & I was interested in playing with it on my GT540.
-Thanks!
"In the meantime if you're interested, here's the special ZTEBlade build I put together for testing. No garantees on performance though, you'll just have to try it and report back."
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28029604/Caustic_ARMv6.apk (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28029604/Caustic_ARMv6.apk)[/quote]

SingleCell wrote:Caustic is mostly C++/OpenGL so I use VisualStudio for most of the development and debugging on the PC, and then NDK/Eclipse to push it to Android.
the further i get into developing my own app the more impressed i am with Caustic.
of course i dont want you to give away your secrets but please could you give me a few pointers?

im guessing you do all the dsp in c++. do you use a c++ library?
do you pass the final result as a single AudioTrack thats constantly running, or is each sound a new AudioTrack? do you even use AudioTrack?
do you use opengl because its faster for the graphics or are there audio functions you use?

sorry for all the questions but there is very little info out there concerning this kind of thing and i dont know where else to turn.

thanks for Caustic, keep it up :)

btw runs fine on hanspree pad.
TEGLEG RECORDS promotes artists / musicians working in electronic / digital music & phonic / sonic art / electro / acid / dubstep / leg n bass / mashup / techno / breakcore / dogstep / experimental / glitchtronica / mentalism / spazmodic simulation

Tegleg Records wrote:the further i get into developing my own app the more impressed i am with Caustic.
of course i dont want you to give away your secrets but please could you give me a few pointers?

do you pass the final result as a single AudioTrack thats constantly running, or is each sound a new AudioTrack? do you even use AudioTrack?
do you use opengl because its faster for the graphics or are there audio functions you use?

sorry for all the questions but there is very little info out there concerning this kind of thing and i dont know where else to turn.

Hi mate,
I don't think there are any secrets here, apart from some optimizations I learned from game programming, everything in Caustic is pretty straight forward. The hard part is taking the time to put it all together.

All of the DSP is hand-written in C++, no special libraries. The signal chain is pretty much how it's presented in the app. When the audio update comes around, the native code "pulls" audio signal from the mixer, which in turn pulls all of its audio signals from the machines and through the insert effects. The mixer adds this all up together and sends the result back to Java to put into the single AudioTrack that is always playing.

For graphics I use OpenGL because it's what I know and because it adapts really well to different screen sizes.

You've got my email, if there's anything you're stuck on with your tracker, feel free to drop me a line :D

I'm noticing a pattern of game programmers making kickass audio apps (see also blip interactive). I wonder if game programming is so difficult and competitive that the skillset subsumes all other forms of application programming.
SingleCell wrote:
Tegleg Records wrote:the further i get into developing my own app the more impressed i am with Caustic.

Hi mate,
I don't think there are any secrets here, apart from some optimizations I learned from game programming, everything in Caustic is pretty straight forward. The hard part is taking the time to put it all together.

All of the DSP is hand-written in C++, no special libraries. The signal chain is pretty much how it's presented in the app. When the audio update comes around, the native code "pulls" audio signal from the mixer, which in turn pulls all of its audio signals from the machines and through the insert effects. The mixer adds this all up together and sends the result back to Java to put into the single AudioTrack that is always playing.

For graphics I use OpenGL because it's what I know and because it adapts really well to different screen sizes.

You've got my email, if there's anything you're stuck on with your tracker, feel free to drop me a line :D

revo11 wrote:I'm noticing a pattern of game programmers making kickass audio apps (see also blip interactive). I wonder if game programming is so difficult and competitive that the skillset subsumes all other forms of application programming.
Well, I think there are a couple of reasons here. First, the games industry is in a bit of a slump right now. Down here there used to be 5-6 big studios with 100+ employees, now there are 2 with one possibly closing down soon. Everyone is fighting for the jobs that are left or moving overseas.

I was doing audio programming before my last place got shut down so I decided this would be a great way to continue learning about audio and DSP. It doesn't pay the bills right now, but it might some day.

Game developers tend to have to stay close to the hardware to stay competitive. If your game doesn't look as good as the last one, you'll get hammered in reviews so it's an arms race to get the most out of every CPU cycle. With audio apps, the more you can get out of your tiny mobile processor, the more features you can offer, coupled with game-like UI systems, it IS a very similar environment.

Very interesting insight. It bums me out that it's hard for an industry with so much talent to remain competitive in the global marketplace, but that's the way it is I guess.

imo if the bigger players in the music software industry (obviously a relative term given the miniscule size of the market) like NI and propheads are thinking longer term, they should probably be investing in people to gain a foothold in these emerging markets...
SingleCell wrote:
revo11 wrote:I'm noticing a pattern of game programmers making kickass audio apps (see also blip interactive). I wonder if game programming is so difficult and competitive that the skillset subsumes all other forms of application programming.
Well, I think there are a couple of reasons here. First, the games industry is in a bit of a slump right now. Down here there used to be 5-6 big studios with 100+ employees, now there are 2 with one possibly closing down soon. Everyone is fighting for the jobs that are left or moving overseas.

I was doing audio programming before my last place got shut down so I decided this would be a great way to continue learning about audio and DSP. It doesn't pay the bills right now, but it might some day.

Game developers tend to have to stay close to the hardware to stay competitive. If your game doesn't look as good as the last one, you'll get hammered in reviews so it's an arms race to get the most out of every CPU cycle. With audio apps, the more you can get out of your tiny mobile processor, the more features you can offer, coupled with game-like UI systems, it IS a very similar environment.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”