Kontakt and keyboard colours

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just wandering how it's possible to get Kontakt to show the colours on the keyboard at the bottom of the player like in this example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEAOZU4s ... r_embedded

Mine is all blue and when in playback all the midi that has been drawn in the particular instance of kontakt i'm viewing plays simultaneously. I presume that you assign the keyboard to each instrument which gives you the colouring and shows only that instrument playing during playback?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

You have to enter the script editor a bit.

Code: Select all

on init
    declare $i := 60
    while ($i <= 72)
        set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_CYAN)
        inc($i)
    end while
end on
This will color the middle C octave to cyan. Available colors, as of Kontakt 4.2, are:

$KEY_COLOR_NONE (restores default keycoloring)
$KEY_COLOR_WHITE
$KEY_COLOR_YELLOW
$KEY_COLOR_RED
$KEY_COLOR_BLUE
$KEY_COLOR_CYAN
$KEY_COLOR_GREEN
$KEY_COLOR_BLACK (inverts key color - white goes to black, black goes to white)

Thanks for your response, I have been following your instructions and found that's one way of doing it.

However, when you click the spanner on an instrument the keyboard role comes up with all the correct colours which is great except you can't view the interface of the instrument when you are in that view, well I can't anyway :).

I'm not sure if I follow?

You can see the keyboard colors AND the interface (performance view) of the selected instrument at the same time. Does your script have make_perfview command in "on init" callback?

Apologies for not being clear. For example, have 8 instruments loaded into kontakt. In the performance view the keyboard roll is showing the colours that associate with the instrument loaded into st. 1 midi ch. 1. If I want to see the colours that associate with the instrument loaded to st. 7 midi ch. 7 then I have to click on the spanner icon and then it's revealed within that view but if I go back to performance view the keyboard role resumes showing st. 1 midi ch. 1.

I am not sure how I would implement the script you have mentioned just now, if you could elaborate slightly it'd much appreciated. I was also thinking have I missed the trick in regards selecting an instrument within Kontakt as the manual says that the piano role shows the currently selected instrument. I know how to select, or arm the instrument within the DAW but not in Kontakt.

Thanks for your help.

Yes - that's how Kontakt works (it only shows the keyboard colors for the currently selected instrument). Nothing you can do about it.

You select the instrument by clicking on the background of it (NOT on any buttons, or sliders, or spanner icons!) - it shows an orange frame around the instrument then
Last edited by EvilDragon on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

How do you select an instrument within Kontakt?

I've just edited the above post to explain that.

So simple!

Many thanks for aiding my stupidity!

Haha, that's a bit weird statement! I don't think I aided your stupidity really - if that were true, then you would be more stupid than you were, but instead now you know something you didn't! :P

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Thanks so much for this. Really helped with some Roland TR-808 and 909 instruments I'm creating. I'm wondering if you could possibly show me how to use multiple colors for different keys. For example Yellow for C1-C2 and then Red for D2-D3? I'm not familiar with KSP so my attempts were futile.

Thanks.

RC
EvilDragon wrote:You have to enter the script editor a bit.

Code: Select all (#)

on init
    while ($i <= 72)
        set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_CYAN)
        inc($i)
    end while
end on
This will color the middle C octave to cyan. Available colors, as of Kontakt 4.2, are:

$KEY_COLOR_NONE (restores default keycoloring)
$KEY_COLOR_WHITE
$KEY_COLOR_YELLOW
$KEY_COLOR_RED
$KEY_COLOR_BLUE
$KEY_COLOR_CYAN
$KEY_COLOR_GREEN
$KEY_COLOR_BLACK (inverts key color - white goes to black, black goes to white)
wreck em

Well that's as easy as running a loop and then using if statements within, for example:

on init
    declare $i := 36
    while ($i <= 62)
        if (in_range($i,36,48))
            set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_YELLOW)
        end if
        if (in_range($i,49,62))
            set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_RED)
        end if
        inc($i)
    end while
end on

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Thank you so much. Will try this right now. I'm wondering if you'd also know how to have an instrument load with a specific CC #1 value. For example, on my 808 instruments the snares have a "Snappy" parameter which I set to be the mod wheel, I would like for it to load halfway (64). Any chance you could show me what that'd look like and can i throw it in alongside the key-color code? THANKS.
EvilDragon wrote:Well that's as easy as running a loop and then using if statements within, for example:

Code: Select all (#)

on init
    declare $i := 36
    while ($i <= 62)
        if (in_range($i,36,48))
            set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_YELLOW)
        end if
        if (in_range($i,49,62))
            set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_RED)
        end if
        inc($i)
    end while
end on
wreck em

on init
   set_controller(1,<value>)
end on

This is basic stuff, please have a run through the KSP Reference manual that comes with Kontakt. :)

May bump and hijack?

Im making this instrument with 5 groups of samples and a menu on the interface to switch between them. I need the key colors to change with the groups and everything Ive tried has failed. ATM I have this, but it just paints the keys green no matter what.

declare $j := 80

~O~O~O~

if ($select=1)
 while ($i <= 72)
   set_key_color($i,$KEY_COLOR_GREEN)
   inc($i)
 end while
end if

if ($select=2)
 while ($j <= 92)