Multi processor support differences in various hosts

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanx for the answers. I think I will have to test it in great depth. No way around that. Sigh.

Hi guys

I'm going to build myself a PC very soon. At first I thought id get a dual core i3 to replace my core duo. This is because I use Studio one and they say that you want to disable turbo boost anyway which the i3 does not have so I thought I would save some money. However my options are multi-core or dual core. AMD bulldozer can give you 8 cores for $199 and the i3 was about $130 so when its all said and done that could potentially be a huge increase of power for $70.

I can switch to Reaper if it makes better use of the cores than Studio One.

Am I looking at this right?

I can run 5 instances of Diva with a certain intensive patch in Studio one and in Reaper, however in Zynewave 3.0 I can run 8 before it chokes up.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiyn wrote:I can run 5 instances of Diva with a certain intensive patch in Studio one and in Reaper, however in Zynewave 3.0 I can run 8 before it chokes up.
I'd be interested in knowing what the general consensus is for CPU usage of Reaper vs Zynwave's Podium. I've always heard that Reaper was the lightest DAW available. In fact, I've seen threads where Reaper supposedly beat energyXT CPU-wise. This is the first I've heard of Podium being even more efficient. I am always on the lookout for a great quality DAW that is extremely efficient. Anyone else have both of these Daws and can compare them both?

--Sean

I never saw any mention of Buzz in this thread, so I'd like to add that Jeskola Buzz (a tracker) is slowly getting better and better at using multiple CPUs.

chacka wrote:Very interesting that Reaper's competitor's mostly still didn't manage to get something similar going. If everything in Reaper would be on that level it would be very very easy to stay with Reaper.
Little coincidence that Logic and Pro-tools move closer and closer to
Reapers price range and hardware requirements, as Reapers feature set
and ease of use continue to improve. :)

Pro tools? Weren't we just ragging on them for OUTRAGEOUS prices/upgrades?

That was so last week - this week we're ragging on Reaper for being such a great deal! :hihi:
perception: the stuff reality is made of.

Zynewave Podium is very good, I printed out the (long) manual and was quite surprised really how fully featured it is. It is also very logical. It also seems to be the most efficient with my last test.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

I find it hard to believe that any host can run 3 more active instances of a vst than another. It must be due to the way resources are being used on that plug. ie Podium probably switches something in the background with inactive voices? Similar to some hosts CPU saving feature?

Well the set up is hardly scientific, but I load the plug in with the same preset 8 times and make them all play at once. I can only do this with 5 instances on the other 2 daws.
Aiynzahev-sounds

Aiyn wrote:Well the set up is hardly scientific, but I load the plug in with the same preset 8 times and make them all play at once. I can only do this with 5 instances on the other 2 daws.
This is what I find so interesting! :-) I'm always looking for the most efficient DAW, and up until reading your posts about Podium, I've always been left with the impression that Reaper was the lightest DAW around.

--Sean

UltraJv wrote:I find it hard to believe that any host can run 3 more active instances of a vst than another.
It's up to you. What purpose does it serve to blindly say it if the person isn't experiencing it? After all, when someone mentions this they mostly are talking about the EXACT SAME SYSTEM ;)

You want the truth? I wish I could use studio one. I can't. I've had to move on.

audiojunkie wrote:I've always been left with the impression that Reaper was the lightest DAW around.

--Sean
It has been on my system. Ymmv

audiojunkie wrote:I've always been left with the impression that Reaper was the lightest DAW around.
Depends. Back when I was using Reaper and Podium regularly, I noticed they would excel at different things. By that I mean that sometimes I could get more instances of a plugin in Reaper and other times it was the reverse and Podium would handle more instances of some other plug. But it was never a huge difference really. I remember Fritz (dev) explaining to us a while ago why things worked the way they did. It was pretty much the same explanation that ttc gave earlier in this thread, except ttc went into greater detail.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”