"Reaper has an ugly GUI"

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Of all of the complaints against REAPER, this is the one I get the least. I really really really don't want this to become the REAPER fanboiz vs REAPER haters thread. But if you're going to complain about a software's GUI, complaining about a skinnable software doesn't seem to make much sense.

Think Reaper's ugly? http://stash.reaper.fm/theme/833/REACTI ... erThemeZip

Prefer Cubase? http://stash.reaper.fm/theme/784/Alter%20Ego.zip

Too bright? http://www.fileden.com/files/2006/10/15 ... ercMod.jpg

Are the complaints against the GUI literally the GUI or the layout?

nineofkings wrote:Are the complaints against the GUI literally the GUI or the layout?
I think the complaints are against the layout. I forget who said this in a recent Reaper thread here, but he/she basically said something along the lines of "you can put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig."

Edit: for the record, before you Reaper fanboys start picking up your pitchforks, I am a Reaper user.

So tired of the false pseudo-fascism and Self-righteousness imposed and self-imposed on the Reaper community. KVR is where Reaper users go to gain an eating disorder and split personalities.
Edit: for the record, before you Reaper fanboys start picking up your pitchforks, I am a Reaper user.
REAPER fanboiz vs REAPER haters
miedex

miedex wrote:So tired of the false pseudo-fascism and Self-righteousness imposed and self-imposed on the Reaper community.
It's fine when it's Cubase users though, I used to be one of those guys too. I think the facts are that of users who are online, a significant proportion are now Reaper users. No biggie if you are not one.... yet.

Do you know that you can work on multiple, instananeously switchable projects in Reaper? It does stuff like that... this is why you will end up using it. :D

nineofkings wrote: Are the complaints against the GUI literally the GUI or the layout?
Actually i think Reaper made a major step forward with v4 in terms of GUI-cuteness. Also the layout seems quite logic and clear to me. If there weren't those right click dialogs containing literally hundreds of items though... that's actually one of the things which really put me off every time i use Reaper. I know you can customize it the way you want it to be but seriously... for a beginner that's not really the desired way though as a beginner most probably won't know what exactly he needs and what he does not need in such a menu. :)

They could always go with something like X1...with its non-customizable/non-scalable Control Bar and all that ...

OK..so some of the customizing can get downright silly with Reaper but come on. Why chop customizing completely out? :cry: :x :x
Barry
If a billion people believe a stupid thing it is still a stupid thing

It's not that it's ugly,
it's that the underlying construction of the interface leaves a lot to be desired.
IE. Not eyecandy,
workflow.
In some respects it's good, in many it's terrible, IMO.

@ trimph1: Well, maybe they should set a newbie interface as standard then, and the pro's can customize it their way then with all the stuff they need. :)

chk071 wrote:
nineofkings wrote: Are the complaints against the GUI literally the GUI or the layout?
Actually i think Reaper made a major step forward with v4 in terms of GUI-cuteness.
It was a step back, if you ask me, and I did step back to the v3 theme.

nineofkings wrote:I really really really don't want this to become the REAPER fanboiz vs REAPER haters thread
By simply mentioning it you are doomed.

BTW, wtf anyways? If you like reaper you are a "fanboi" if you don't you are a "hater"....really stupid.

Personally, I think the caramel middle has it's place in the world :shrug:
"you can put a dress on a pig, but it's still a pig."
Well, it was probably (can't mention) but I think it was lipstick instead of dress :hihi:

sellyoursoul wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Actually i think Reaper made a major step forward with v4 in terms of GUI-cuteness.
It was a step back, if you ask me, and I did step back to the v3 theme.
I don't like the neon green, but I've gotten quite used to 4. I'm sure it's like the KVR changes today :hihi:

chk071 wrote:@ trimph1: Well, maybe they should set a newbie interface as standard then, and the pro's can customize it their way then with all the stuff they need. :)
That might be an idea..then again a beginner can always leave well enough alone as well :)
Barry

Oh..as an interventionary move...

In the ongoing wars between the Reaper Basher and the Reaper Fanboi leave a little bit of space between your various trenches so that those of us who like what we see but want some improvements can duck in our foxholes...

...and engage in ambushes....
Barry

My question is - which doesn't seem worth well enough to start a whole new topic - why do people hate it. I don't know anything about it, so...well Ihave no opinion.

ntom wrote:My question is - which doesn't seem worth well enough to start a whole new topic - why do people hate it. I don't know anything about it, so...well Ihave no opinion.
For one thing, I think people don't like how the reap started out. I remember when I first heard of it there were A TON of people what seemed like spamming forums with all this yack. Now that reaper has matured into a "real" daw, I think the people who took offense back then just don't want to hear it anymore.

Not saying they are right, just saying.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”