What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

OS:
Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

User avatar
Moe Shinola
KVRian
 
1409 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

I know it's a DX plugin, and only native to Sonar, but it'll play in Orion 8, so I've been messing around with it, along with Dimension Pro & Pentagon 1 which also play in Orion and I must say I just kept right on scrolling through the presets in PSYN II, especially the ones in the F and G banks. I think PSYN II uses white noise better than just about any synth I've heard. Something about the presets which incorporate noise is very pleasing to my ears. Also, the sounds a wide ranging and mostly all interesting. I can't deal with the sound of Pentagon 1(too trebly and piercing - the sound is too big, too much). Dim Pro I like but only because of the DSF Proteus packs I bought which are great(a lot of the factory sounds are out of tune). I'm just having more fun exploring around PSYN than the other 2. Does anyone else like PSYN II?
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
User avatar
Jbravo
KVRian
 
1189 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Is it available to buy or try on it's own? I can only find mention of it inside Project5 and Sonar
User avatar
Moe Shinola
KVRian
 
1409 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't think it's for sale on it's own. There's so much great stuff out there for free anymore I hope if Cake offered PSYN it wouldn't be for more than 30 or 40 bucks.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
User avatar
Jbravo
KVRian
 
1189 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Moe Shinola wrote:I don't think it's for sale on it's own. There's so much great stuff out there for free anymore I hope if Cake offered PSYN it wouldn't be for more than 30 or 40 bucks.


okay thanks for letting me know. Sounds good, shame I can't try it :(
User avatar
beltrom
KVRian
 
649 posts since 2 Aug, 2004, from Sweden

Postby beltrom; Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:26 am

I like psyn but don't use it that much anymore. I kind of stopped when P5 went out the window. If you haven't seen it you should check out the psyntology pdf by Tom Brockway (b rock).

Here => http://project5.technetos.com/synth/
User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
 
21400 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 am

Moe Shinola wrote:I know it's a DX plugin, and only native to Sonar, but it'll play in Orion 8, so I've been messing around with it, along with Dimension Pro & Pentagon 1 which also play in Orion and I must say I just kept right on scrolling through the presets in PSYN II, especially the ones in the F and G banks. I think PSYN II uses white noise better than just about any synth I've heard. Something about the presets which incorporate noise is very pleasing to my ears. Also, the sounds a wide ranging and mostly all interesting. I can't deal with the sound of Pentagon 1(too trebly and piercing - the sound is too big, too much). Dim Pro I like but only because of the DSF Proteus packs I bought which are great(a lot of the factory sounds are out of tune). I'm just having more fun exploring around PSYN than the other 2. Does anyone else like PSYN II?


If you didnt know, you can use it in (some*) VST hosts using the polac/xlutop wrapper.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview ... 38&start=0

(*) Wont work properly in xlutop Chainer, ironically enough, but will in more modern hosts.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8745 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:55 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Anybody know if this synth is still included with Sonar X3 Studio?

Image
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
User avatar
Examigan
KVRAF
 
2713 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from Connecticut, USA

Postby Examigan; Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:53 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Numanoid wrote:Anybody know if this synth is still included with Sonar X3 Studio?


Here are the versions of Sonar X3 and what's included:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions
:)
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8745 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:59 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Examigan wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Anybody know if this synth is still included with Sonar X3 Studio?


Here are the versions of Sonar X3 and what's included:
https://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/Versions
:)

Thanks, I didn't manage to find that link earlier today :)

Upgrade from Sonar X3 to X3 Studio is as low as $42,07 at JRR Shop at the mo'

Tempting proposition to get PSYNII for that price, for those missing z3ta+ it is a good opportunity to get it.

+ the whole Nomad Studio Mixing Suite as well of course!
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
Chad@PA
KVRist
 
272 posts since 10 Feb, 2008

Postby Chad@PA; Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

PSYN was developed by the one and only RGC. It's a powerful synth, in many ways a variation of z3ta+.
budweiser
KVRian
 
735 posts since 14 Oct, 2006, from france

Postby budweiser; Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Moe Shinola wrote:Does anyone else like PSYN II?


I do. Such fantastic presets ! Use it on almost every project.
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8745 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:48 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Chad@PA wrote:PSYN was developed by the one and only RGC. It's a powerful synth, in many ways a variation of z3ta+.

Unfortunately it doesn't work outside of Sonar X3 Studio

And installing the Nomad plugs to the shared VST folder, and trying to load them in another DAW, only gives this default message:

"The plug-ins is only licensed to be used in the Cakewalk Sonar X3 and above.
Internal processing will be bypassed and audio will pass through"

:(
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
User avatar
Examigan
KVRAF
 
2713 posts since 15 Sep, 2005, from Connecticut, USA

Postby Examigan; Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:19 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Numanoid wrote:
Chad@PA wrote:PSYN was developed by the one and only RGC. It's a powerful synth, in many ways a variation of z3ta+.

Unfortunately it doesn't work outside of Sonar X3 Studio

And installing the Nomad plugs to the shared VST folder, and trying to load them in another DAW, only gives this default message:

"The plug-ins is only licensed to be used in the Cakewalk Sonar X3 and above.
Internal processing will be bypassed and audio will pass through"

:(


There's one like that within Music Maker, called Revolta2, and I like it a lot. I wish I could use it in Sonar X3, but it will not work unless its run inside Music Maker.
User avatar
Numanoid
KVRAF
 
8745 posts since 20 Jan, 2008, from Down on the farm

Postby Numanoid; Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:39 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

Examigan wrote:There's one like that within Music Maker, called Revolta2, and I like it a lot. I wish I could use it in Sonar X3, but it will not work unless its run inside Music Maker.

The NOMAD plugs can be bought as standalone/vst but comes at a price, just $200
http://nomadfactory.com/products/bt_effects/index.html

That's why it would be great to get them for lot less included with Sonar :oops:

Revolta 2 unfortunately can't be bought as standalone/vst, it is only included with Magix Music Maker, and as that only allows Rewire In (not out), Revolta 2 can't be utilized outside that DAW
Halb Wesen und halb Ding
GeorgeZ
KVRAF
 
2804 posts since 29 May, 2009, from New Zealand

Postby GeorgeZ; Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:30 am Re: In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

I thought about getting X3 Prod at the sale price (got X2 prod)... but the more and more I see plugins being "locked" to Sonar (versions included in Sonar), it totally puts me off CW. Yes, it comes with Sonar, but we're not dumb CW, stop being cretins and limiting the 3rd party pluggies :scared: Sorry, OT.
Eternitysound VST Banks
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments