What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

KVRian

1406 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm In praise of Cakewalk's PSYN II

I know it's a DX plugin, and only native to Sonar, but it'll play in Orion 8, so I've been messing around with it, along with Dimension Pro & Pentagon 1 which also play in Orion and I must say I just kept right on scrolling through the presets in PSYN II, especially the ones in the F and G banks. I think PSYN II uses white noise better than just about any synth I've heard. Something about the presets which incorporate noise is very pleasing to my ears. Also, the sounds a wide ranging and mostly all interesting. I can't deal with the sound of Pentagon 1(too trebly and piercing - the sound is too big, too much). Dim Pro I like but only because of the DSF Proteus packs I bought which are great(a lot of the factory sounds are out of tune). I'm just having more fun exploring around PSYN than the other 2. Does anyone else like PSYN II?
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
KVRian

1186 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:11 pm

Is it available to buy or try on it's own? I can only find mention of it inside Project5 and Sonar
KVRian

1406 posts since 11 Nov, 2004, from Kansas City, MO

Postby Moe Shinola; Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:12 pm

I don't think it's for sale on it's own. There's so much great stuff out there for free anymore I hope if Cake offered PSYN it wouldn't be for more than 30 or 40 bucks.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}
KVRian

1186 posts since 19 May, 2002, from Cambridge, UK

Postby Jbravo; Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Moe Shinola wrote:I don't think it's for sale on it's own. There's so much great stuff out there for free anymore I hope if Cake offered PSYN it wouldn't be for more than 30 or 40 bucks.

okay thanks for letting me know. Sounds good, shame I can't try it :(
KVRian

605 posts since 2 Aug, 2004, from Sweden

Postby beltrom; Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:26 am

I like psyn but don't use it that much anymore. I kind of stopped when P5 went out the window. If you haven't seen it you should check out the psyntology pdf by Tom Brockway (b rock).

Here => http://project5.technetos.com/synth/
Beware the Quoth

21173 posts since 3 Sep, 2001, from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Postby whyterabbyt; Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 am

Moe Shinola wrote:I know it's a DX plugin, and only native to Sonar, but it'll play in Orion 8, so I've been messing around with it, along with Dimension Pro & Pentagon 1 which also play in Orion and I must say I just kept right on scrolling through the presets in PSYN II, especially the ones in the F and G banks. I think PSYN II uses white noise better than just about any synth I've heard. Something about the presets which incorporate noise is very pleasing to my ears. Also, the sounds a wide ranging and mostly all interesting. I can't deal with the sound of Pentagon 1(too trebly and piercing - the sound is too big, too much). Dim Pro I like but only because of the DSF Proteus packs I bought which are great(a lot of the factory sounds are out of tune). I'm just having more fun exploring around PSYN than the other 2. Does anyone else like PSYN II?

If you didnt know, you can use it in (some*) VST hosts using the polac/xlutop wrapper.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview ... 38&start=0

(*) Wont work properly in xlutop Chainer, ironically enough, but will in more modern hosts.
To laymen, software development is something akin to wizardry. Neither time, nor effort are involved. If software is missing features they want, or has bugs, it is solely because someone has been too lazy to wave their magic wand.

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Instruments