What is KVR Audio? | Submit News | Advertise | Developer Account

Options (Affects News & Product results only):

Format:
Include:
Quick Search KVR

"Quick Search" KVR Audio's Product Database, News Items, Developer Listings, Forum Topics and videos here. For advanced Product Database searching please use the full product search. For the forum you can use the phpBB forum search.

To utilize the power of Google you can use the integrated Google Site Search.

Products 0

Developers 0

News 0

Forum 0

Videos 0

Search  

OWD/DM2/NPD TD20 no choke?

Official support for: sonicreality.com and esoundz.com

Moderators: Meffy, allen_esoundz, Kim Lajoie, Squids, buscemi, DarkStar

pksnu91
KVRer

4 posts since 13 Mar, 2009

Postby pksnu91; Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:13 am OWD/DM2/NPD TD20 no choke?

Apologies for acronym central in the post title. I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else:

Using any Sonic Reality drum product, including Ocean Way, Drum Masters 2 and Neil Peart, none of my cymbals or rides will choke when I play using using VMAP and a TD20. Other drum libraries will, so pretty sure the midi notes are being transmitted to my Mac. Is the choke missing from VMAP? Or am I just n00b-like and there's a setting I need to tweak somewhere either on the TD20 brain or in Kontakt/infinite Player?
Squids
Sonic Reality Head Chef

8397 posts since 10 Mar, 2002, from Florida

Postby Squids; Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:11 am

Other libraries in Kontakt choke the cymbals? Which ones? I know that some dedicated drum products do but I haven't heard of any Kontakt libraries.

The problem is that the midi message sent from the V-Drum cymbals is aftertouch. So it sends information but when you choke and when you let go too. That makes it more tricky to do in Kontakt than just having aftertouch affect the amplitude which we tried and it didn't work right (because when you let go of the cymbal the sound fades back in... semi-realistic because so would a cymbal in real life but not quite the same way). We might find a work around way to implement this but at the moment there are no real time chokes. There are, however, in many cases a dedicated choke sample of the original cymbal being choked. More for crashes than rides but there are there in some of the libraries and that of course sounds the most realistic... just not something ideal for V-drummers per se (although one could map a choke sample to a pad if needed for live performance).
www.sonicreality.com
www.esoundz.com
Sonic Reality Progressive Rock Project: www.facebook.com/sonicelements
pksnu91
KVRer

Postby pksnu91; Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:58 am

Any of the Abbey Road series from NI. Although I wouldn't describe them as triggering a choke sample, more quickly fading the volume on the existing sample.
Squids
Sonic Reality Head Chef

8397 posts since 10 Mar, 2002, from Florida

Postby Squids; Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 pm

pksnu91 wrote:Any of the Abbey Road series from NI. Although I wouldn't describe them as triggering a choke sample, more quickly fading the volume on the existing sample.

They must be doing that with a script. It doesn't work as far as I know just with the basic Kontakt functionality unfortunately so it's not an easy thing to implement. But that doesn't mean it won't happen in an update at some point. For the moment it's just choke samples. But again those are more realistic sounding at least.
www.sonicreality.com
www.esoundz.com
Sonic Reality Progressive Rock Project: www.facebook.com/sonicelements
Krabat
KVRist

41 posts since 28 Jan, 2006

Postby Krabat; Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:00 am

I'm not familiar with V-Drums, but isn't it possible to put a midi-filter in between the drum-trigger and Kontakt and change the aftertouch-event in an note-on-event?

Gunnar
pksnu91
KVRer

Postby pksnu91; Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 pm

SSD 4 nails the choke thing on v-drums, but they had to create their own player.
David Carpenter Wind Core
KVRist

222 posts since 16 Dec, 2008, from Boulder CO

Postby David Carpenter Wind Core; Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 am

SD2 has the best HH control I have seen works great with td-20
The sleeper must awaken.

Moderators: Meffy, allen_esoundz, Kim Lajoie, Squids, buscemi, DarkStar

Return to Sonic Reality / eSoundz.com