Diversion vs Helix vs Omnisphere vs Synthmaster vs etc. (for subtractive synthesis)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion

A really good subtractive synth to complement Omnisphere?

Dmitry Sches Diversion!
24%
Audjoo Helix!
9%
KV331 Audio SynthMaster!
43%
Spectrasonics Omnisphere alone is sufficient.
24%

Total votes: 70

RELATED
PRODUCTS

D N A wrote:First, describe electronic music :)

For some people it's J.M. Jarre, for other it's Beatport stuff or some stuff like Avicii, David Guetta etc.

As far as I remember Diversion had lot of modern sounding presets which makes me think that you're interested more in "modern electronic music". In such scenario Diversion is nice, also Sylenth with great factory bank.

If you need fat basses then how about NI Massive ?

If you're on the budget then maybe pick something which is already on sale ?

Synapse Dune is for 99 $
FX Pansion DCAM Synth Squad is for 99 $
FAW Circle for 69 $ is also great deal but it's hmm not a monster synth - it reminds me V-Station - just good features packed in nice workflow.

On the other hand some people may automatically think: subtractive = analog = warm bla bla ? :) If that's the case then pick Diva - great sound but kills my CPU, or Zebra or Xils-Lab stuff.

ps. how many synths do we have left ? :D There is Zebra as always, there is Diva, Dune, Sylenth, Massive, Synth SQuad, Circle, Xils Lab :D
Electronic music, is well, basically anything that's electronic. I didn't specify genres or artists since I just produce anything I have in my head.

Mostly I am doing pure electronic music, with the rare, occasional use of vocals. For me my type of electronic music is anything that isn't from the radio and popular pop artist. I take pride in being different. 8)

If I post some audio examples, people will just insult and flame me, from my past experience in KVR.
-To get angry is to punish yourself with other people's mistakes.
-You use your ears, not your eyes to listen.
-If everyone is doing it, it must be stupid.

kv331 wrote:
awol9000 wrote:I really dig the x/y pads on Diversion. Lovely GUI unlike Synthmaster. Better sound IMO too. Plus the developer is adding new features and "growing" this synth.
Hey we'd love to hear your comments for improving the GUI of SynthMaster.

Also, keep in mind that SynthMaster has been constantly "growing" for the past 2 years, the releases notes is clearly a proof of that.
Well, I like black and green interfaces. Thats how I got interested in SynthMaster in the first place. I have placed in the "dislike" part in my post, but don't worry. It's just personal taste for sounds. I will wait for future updates and test them further, since the interface is to my liking. :hihi:

kv331 wrote:
Hey we'd love to hear your comments for improving the GUI of SynthMaster.

Also, keep in mind that SynthMaster has been constantly "growing" for the past 2 years, the releases notes is clearly a proof of that.
I didn't mean to sound like Synthmaster wasn't being worked on. That's always a plus to me. I'll have to take another look at it to gather some GUI suggestions.

pdxindy wrote:
Acer Hyperspace wrote:
bailees7irish wrote:none of the above.

get Diva.
I am still trying it out, so I haven't decided whether it should be added to the list. Mind blowing though so far...

The sound quality of Diva is outstanding. However, I would not classify it as an all around sound design tool in the same way as Synthmaster, Diversion, or Helix. In that category would be Zebra... and if you want presets, then Zebra has a greater range and quality of presets than any of those 3. They are all modern versatile synths and you really cannot go wrong with any of them. IMO Zebra is the most elegant, well developed and supported of the bunch. I like modular synthesis but find something like Reaktor or Tassman too complicated and time consuming. For me, Zebra strikes the perfect balance between modular flexibility and ease of use.
Actually, I am not looking for an all-rounded monster sound design synth. I just need an extra flexible subtractive synth, as my thread title suggested. So that's why Diva is also under my consideration.

Zebra is under testing by me as well, but that is already a monster hybrid synth already, not in the realm of "extra flexible subtractive synth" already.

Lotuzia wrote:Substractive :

Add to the list Korg Analogs ( Ms-20, MonoPoly etc ), ImpOSCar II, AAS Ultra Analog, ACE, Arturia SEM V, and finally Xils-Lab Synthix, PolyKB II and Xils 3 ( Fully modular)

All great substractive synths, some have more complex sound design possibilities than others.

Just try the demos, and listen to demo tracks using these synths : YOur ears ad own taste will make the difference.
Somehow I'm in love with PolyKB even though I'm fascinated by xils 3. Circle is great too and is on sale as we speak.
I'm not in full modular programming much, I'm still learning and Reason is as much modular as I went so far. This is a question to Lotuzia: what would be your criteria in selecting one or the other? Xils is just more powerful in terms of modularity or PolyKB is capable of creating very musical and warm sounds due to its Osc and filters and xils can't do that?
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Same as the first poster: none of the above. I must say one or two hundred things, though. I tried Diversion and it left me rather cold, as it sounds cold and absolutely characterless. A deaf man should hear this is a VSTi. U-He synths on the other hand sound just warmer and have a really nice character to them. Especially ACE and Diva. Can please someone contradict me? :) Maybe I'll allow another demo of Diversion... it was like: huh? is that it? Sounded like something from 2002 and it uses my processor like mad. No use.

edit: regarding Diversion, even a free VSTi like Xhip sounds much better to me. Sorry. Of course, it doesn't have its capabilities, but I think the sound is what matters the most. Someone mentioned NI Komplete - it's incredible value for money. I've got Kontakt, Massive and FM8. Great synths with [NI] character. I'm not completely thrilled with Massive... but it's different and it's got its use. It does use processor "nicely", but you can hear that it's not in vane.

p.s. Xils synths are on my buying list... LOL yeah, good synths with a character, too. I like Xils PolyKB, too, the most.

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Same as the first poster: none of the above. I must say one or two hundred things, though. I tried Diversion and it left me rather cold, as it sounds cold and absolutely characterless. A deaf man should hear this is a VSTi. U-He synths on the other hand sound just warmer and have a really nice character to them. Especially ACE and Diva. Can please someone contradict me? :) Maybe I'll allow another demo of Diversion... it was like: huh? is that it? Sounded like something from 2002 and it uses my processor like mad. No use.

edit: regarding Diversion, even a free VSTi like Xhip sounds much better to me. Sorry. Of course, it doesn't have its capabilities, but I think the sound is what matters the most. Someone mentioned NI Komplete - it's incredible value for money. I've got Kontakt, Massive and FM8. Great synths with [NI] character. I'm not completely thrilled with Massive... but it's different and it's got its use. It does use processor "nicely", but you can hear that it's not in vane.

p.s. Xils synths are on my buying list... LOL yeah, good synths with a character, too. I like Xils PolyKB, too, the most.

Cheers!
I think you described almost spot-on about what I feel about Diversion. The some presets sound really unheard-of and new, but they just seem to be lacking something I can't describe. I agree that ACE and Diva sounds more pleasant. Just a matter of taste, remember!

Sorry I haven't read the whole thread but I'd choose Diversion if I had to choose one of the mentioned synths!
It was already one of my favorite synths and the 1.1 update makes it even better! The new filters belong to the best digital filters imo :)
They can really scream: http://k003.kiwi6.com/hotlink/969xnpn6b ... 11test.mp3 :)

I can understand that many people don't seem to like Diversion in all this vintage emulation mania though. It sounds modern, digital and sometimes even harsh, which set's it apart from the 380249 vintage emulations.
It's possible to get some warmer, more analog sounds with the new filters though :)

Imo, ymmy, etc. of course.

Cheers
Dennis

Del, I'm sorry.

sches wrote:Del, I'm sorry.
But you were right :tu:

Cheers
Dennis

liquidsound wrote:
Lotuzia wrote:Substractive :

Add to the list Korg Analogs ( Ms-20, MonoPoly etc ), ImpOSCar II, AAS Ultra Analog, ACE, Arturia SEM V, and finally Xils-Lab Synthix, PolyKB II and Xils 3 ( Fully modular)

All great substractive synths, some have more complex sound design possibilities than others.

Just try the demos, and listen to demo tracks using these synths : YOur ears ad own taste will make the difference.
Somehow I'm in love with PolyKB even though I'm fascinated by xils 3. Circle is great too and is on sale as we speak.
I'm not in full modular programming much, I'm still learning and Reason is as much modular as I went so far. This is a question to Lotuzia: what would be your criteria in selecting one or the other? Xils is just more powerful in terms of modularity or PolyKB is capable of creating very musical and warm sounds due to its Osc and filters and xils can't do that?
Sorry for derailing this thread : PolyKB II for straight instruments out of the box and easy editing/adapting to tracks, or for its incredible stereo tool if you're into pads landscapes etc.

Xils 3 for Modular madness and never heard things. ( Note that I have also released a soundbank for Xil3 -Xilistics- wich offers more "standard bread and butter" instruments and wich contains a lot of templates, wich can ba seen as basic or less basic synthesizers structures - )

And also just a little support for Diversion wich is much more versatile that it looks at first glance.

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

DuX wrote:

Cheers!
Xils-Lab synths are on sale until 31 Dec :) 40% on all flagship synths. All details on the intro page of Xils site : Its only a coupon code to enter at the end of the checkout.

Sorry for derailing :oops: , but I thought it might be usefull :)

And a little support added for Diversion and Synthmaster, both interesting synths.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Acer Hyperspace wrote:Actually, I am not looking for an all-rounded monster sound design synth. I just need an extra flexible subtractive synth, as my thread title suggested. So that's why Diva is also under my consideration.
I put my vote behind Synthmaster but have to own up to not having used any of the others. I just think its fab.

Its got the basic structure for subtractive synthesis with a whole host of different sound generation earlier on so you can make it as simple as you want but with the option of more complex initial sounds being possible.
ZZZzzZZzz..zz....zzzzz
My SoundCloud

Diversion sounding cold and dead? ...

Well, synthwise, it's the best thing ever happening to me. Free from the standard four waveforms and supersaws. Maybe if you use Diversion as such a synth it may not be just a contender in the competition. But once you start moving and modulating x/y and osc modifiers you enter a new universe of sounds. Move a knob and listen .. you get an incredible amount of sounds and all you have to do is move and listen. You can only guess how it will sound once you started to move a few parameters. Then you can enter the subtractive part of the synth - the filters. There's a ton of them. Then there's the drive (5-6 variations).

Multiply this by four and remember to fm or am osc 1->2 and 3->4.
Now you can enter the two busses with their filters, drive, distortion, bitreduction etc.
Next comes the fx section, the sequencer and the gate. You can store the fx-chains and sequences as presets.

This is Subtractive Synthsizer 2.0 8)

(combine this one with Diva, their sounds complement each other very well!)

This is Diversion with bassline by Diva beta
http://soundcloud.com/bj-rnlundberg/terrastator-demo1

Crystalclear gated pad with something in the middle .. so many things going on in modulation there :)
:hug:

DuX wrote:Same as the first poster: none of the above. I must say one or two hundred things, though. I tried Diversion and it left me rather cold, as it sounds cold and absolutely characterless. A deaf man should hear this is a VSTi. U-He synths on the other hand sound just warmer and have a really nice character to them. Especially ACE and Diva. Can please someone contradict me? :) Maybe I'll allow another demo of Diversion... it was like: huh? is that it? Sounded like something from 2002 and it uses my processor like mad. No use.
The thing with Diversion is that it's so flexible that you could miss what you want if you don't know how to use it. It doesn't only target thin nor warm sounds, it can do both. One example is LOFI section which intentionally deteriorates the sound and make it digital IF YOU WANT TO. On the other-side there are new analog filters that can sound really cool if you just modulate by velocity. Modulation with this synth is so flexible, you could modulate a light bulb with your eye blink :hihi:. I have some presets that sound as fat as sylenth1 and massive, at the same time I have stuff as thin as a commodore SID.

With the new update, You might wana demo it again, Specially, check out the Atmo sounds.
Last edited by S0lo on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”