What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Locked New Topic

What would you like to see from ValhallaDSP in the future?

Chorus
14%
Flanger
2%
More reverbs
8%
Pitch Shifting things
18%
Weird noisy texture things
28%
Dynamics Processors (compressor, limiter)
11%
Multitap delays
6%
Other delay plugins
2%
Distortion/waveshaping
5%
Granular
7%

Total votes: 222

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just my .02 -- I recently bought Room and Shimmer. Love them. Love as in "I wanna marry this VST", but the state of Pennsylvania doesn't allow human/vst unions.

Anyway, weird noise/texture generator thing would be swell, but one plug I would like to see would be something along the lines of Strymon's ($450!) Timeline pedal.

swartzfeger wrote:Just my .02 -- I recently bought Room and Shimmer. Love them. Love as in "I wanna marry this VST", but the state of Pennsylvania doesn't allow human/vst unions.

Anyway, weird noise/texture generator thing would be swell, but one plug I would like to see would be something along the lines of Strymon's ($450!) Timeline pedal.
I think that ÜberMod is as close as I am going to get to a dedicated delay plugin. That being said, what looks cool about the Strymon pedal to you?

Another thing I want to look into in the future is a dedicated looping delay. I've experimented with weird things for delay based loopers in the past, that I haven't heard in other plugins/hardware.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
swartzfeger wrote:Just my .02 -- I recently bought Room and Shimmer. Love them. Love as in "I wanna marry this VST", but the state of Pennsylvania doesn't allow human/vst unions.

I think that ÜberMod is as close as I am going to get to a dedicated delay plugin. That being said, what looks cool about the Strymon pedal to you?

Another thing I want to look into in the future is a dedicated looping delay. I've experimented with weird things for delay based loopers in the past, that I haven't heard in other plugins/hardware.

Sean Costello
Mostly, its reverse/backwards features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L_4_4wSdgc

But I think stuff like that could live outside of a 'proper' delay plugin and find a home inside a weird/texturizer plug. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.

Part of my problem is there are a few specific plugins I'd like to have in OS X, and this type of reverse/backwards thing has been (to my knowledge) windows only.

Which has been a big part of Valhalla's insta-appeal for me -- Room and Shimmer nailed a big part of 'what I hear in my head.'

A 'weird' looper would be the remaining of what I hear in my head.

These guys make stunning (and frustratingly abstruse) iPad apps, and their Donut app is a spatial/dimensional looper. Kinda hard to explain.

http://thestrangeagency.com/products/donut/

Having something similar in a plugin would be instabuy.

swartzfeger wrote: Mostly, it's reverse/backwards features:

But I think stuff like that could live outside of a 'proper' delay plugin and find a home inside a weird/texturizer plug. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.
To me, the reverse/backwards stuff is a natural aspect of a pitch shifter. The pitch shifting code I use in Shimmer has backwards/forwards functionality built-in. For Shimmer, the window size is set pretty small (around .1 second), but I experimented with the code at the time, and was able to get some pretty cool tempo synced reverse delays by making the window (splicing) size a function of tempo.

I could slap this into a plugin, but it would be a bit too close to the SoundToys Crystallizer for my taste. I have a bunch of ideas on how to expand on this basic concept, but the issue is how complex things can get without being unwieldy. Some of my other ideas in this direction will require R&D into new filter structures, which I am planning on doing during this quarter.
Part of my problem is there are a few specific plugins I'd like to have in OS X, and this type of reverse/backwards thing has been (to my knowledge) windows only.
What Windows plugins are you thinking of?
A 'weird' looper would be the remaining of what I hear in my head.

These guys make stunning (and frustratingly abstruse) iPad apps, and their Donut app is a spatial/dimensional looper. Kinda hard to explain.

http://thestrangeagency.com/products/donut/
This doesn't look terribly dissimilar to what I had in mind. I tend to think of things as more of a "delay w/super flexible taps" a la the original GRM Morphophone (12-tap tape thing) or Frippertronics, but the buffer approach has its benefits. I'm not sure if my current GUI paradigm would be that useful. If you are working with a buffer, it would be cool to see the contents of the buffer, place taps on it visually, and do all sorts of things that would work well with a touch interface, and not as well with the mouse controlling knobs paradigm of my current plugins.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
A handful of VSTs like this:

http://www.gvst.co.uk/grevdly.htm

This doesn't look terribly dissimilar to what I had in mind. I tend to think of things as more of a "delay w/super flexible taps" a la the original GRM Morphophone (12-tap tape thing) or Frippertronics, but the buffer approach has its benefits. I'm not sure if my current GUI paradigm would be that useful. If you are working with a buffer, it would be cool to see the contents of the buffer, place taps on it visually, and do all sorts of things that would work well with a touch interface, and not as well with the mouse controlling knobs paradigm of my current plugins.

Sean Costello
I'd take the Frippertronics route + your GUI vs the complex (albeit cool) visualized buffer any day. As much of a geek as I am, I love to sit down, slap in a VST and play. If I'm touching a GUI more than my strings, I'm doing something wrong.

swartzfeger wrote:
valhallasound wrote:
A handful of VSTs like this:

http://www.gvst.co.uk/grevdly.htm
Yeah, that is pretty much what my pitch shifting code does, but with the ability to shift the pitch of the audio in the chunks, as well as some randomization tricks I use to avoid comb filtering.

I need to find my pitch plugin code from 2010 and see how long it takes to get it up and running again. I'm getting interested in the possibilities there...

Sean Costello

Sean - thanks for taking the time for asking the masses for what they are thirsty for, that demonstrates how you're a humanist at heart.

Some others voiced the same thought here, but I'm gonna say it again anyway:
-- I wanted to pick more than one item in this vote here. But I picked the one that was what I was most desiring: a real Chorus. I own Vapor and Fluid already. They do okay on their own, and I'm not knocking them, but they don't quite satisfy.
TOGU Audio Line's Juno 60 Chorus plugin (whatever its called) is great but too "chunky." And that's odd coming from me, a Roland kinda guy. At any rate, I would love it if you pursued a usable chorus. I'm thinkin' models of the Boss CE-300, Dimension C/D, and another one of my favorites, the Ibanez DCL Digital Stereo Chorus (the green one on this page: http://tonehome.de/master-series-l.html). I don't expect folks to remember that last one... but it was unique. Anyways, in a nutshell: PLAYABLE CHORUS. Even Guitar Rig's chorus sucks. I just want a chorus that sounds like it fits between my overdrive pedal and my delay pedal. (Isold all my hardware and went virtual too soon in 2005, stupid me). Make a Chorus / Flanger all-in-one dealio, and it will do extremely well. I know you have Ubermod as far as a wild modulation effect, and I haven't gotten it (yet), but I'm just sayin', some folks just need a really really good basic plugin with usuable functionality. VRoom and VShimmer are already in my standard repertoire.

--I would've chosen Other Delay / Multitap Delay, but that's a saturated market, market, market, market... although I wish somebody had a cheap & decent warbling Tape Delay, like the one that's built in to Logic. Found out how much I loved Logic's plugin when I tried to find something comparable in Ableton Live.

-- I also woulda chosen Weird noisy texture things, but *shrug* ... I need to vote to see "usuable" effects once more and stop distracting myself.

-- Pitch Shifting is a neat thought but like Vocoding, it can be overdone and quickly loses its draw.

-- More verbs? Can you top VRoom & VShimmer? However: I wish there were more presets available. Yes, I am a lazy &%^$.

-- Dynamics Processors? Sure, sounds great. I could use a better more usuable W1 plug, or, a decent limiter that has a 'tunable' limiting function by freq band/Q. Or am I trying to say some sort of Multipressor?

Thanks for the ear & good luck!

lionscub68 wrote:Sean - thanks for taking the time for asking the masses for what they are thirsty for, that demonstrates how you're a humanist at heart.

Some others voiced the same thought here, but I'm gonna say it again anyway:
-- I wanted to pick more than one item in this vote here. But I picked the one that was what I was most desiring: a real Chorus. I own Vapor and Fluid already. They do okay on their own, and I'm not knocking them, but they don't quite satisfy.
TOGU Audio Line's Juno 60 Chorus plugin (whatever its called) is great but too "chunky." And that's odd coming from me, a Roland kinda guy. At any rate, I would love it if you pursued a usable chorus.
I don't mean to hijack another's request, but have you tried Blue Cat's Stereo Chorus (freeware)?

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... reoChorus/

Personally haven't tried it because, like you, I'm fed up with every chorus I've tried. I've come to the conclusion tho that's it's not the implementation that sucks, but the effect itself that sucks. I can't listen to a chorus now without having bad 80s flashbacks. I'm daring myself to go and listen to my Summers and Fripp disc.

Two others I've heard very good things about (haven't used myself) are ones from Nomad Factory and Soundtoys

http://nomadfactory.com/products/liquid_II/lmod.html
http://www.soundtoys.com/product/

Not sure about Nomad, but I know that Soundtoys stuff is pricey as $%!* for a bedroom recording budget. And keeping things on topic, that's what makes Valhalla doubly great.

swartzfeger wrote: Personally haven't tried it because, like you, I'm fed up with every chorus I've tried. I've come to the conclusion tho that's it's not the implementation that sucks, but the effect itself that sucks. I can't listen to a chorus now without having bad 80s flashbacks. I'm daring myself to go and listen to my Summers and Fripp disc.
Have you tried the chorus effects in ÜberMod? :D

I am of mixed feelings about chorus. It's like ketchup, for me. I love ketchup with french fries, and on hot dogs and hamburgers. And ONLY for those foods. Otherwise, yuk.

I love the ÜberMod chorus effects on synth pads, and drums and bass lines. But I haven't been able to steel up the courage to play clean electric guitar through the ÜberMod chorus presets. I think I have the same 80's flashbacks. But then again, there is a full-on 80's revival right now, and if people want that sound, I am happy to provide the tool.

Fuzzed out electric guitar is a different thing. I need to try some of the doubling presets I posted over at GearSlutz, and try them on my sub Fripp lead style: neck pickup, tone rolled all the way off, through a Big Muff, into ÜberMod. I have a feeling that the sound on "Here Come the Warm Jets" (the title sound) would be easy to achieve this way. And fuzz bass through detuned chorus is a sound I could listen to all day.

I think this is why I didn't emulate the single delay line chorus boxes in ÜberMod: I just don't like that sound. I love the Dimension D chorus, and I love string ensembles, and the gated and reversed ÜberVerbs make me happy (big MBV fan here). But my Boss CE-2 stayed in whatever box it is located in throughout the entire ÜberMod development process.

I feel the same way about single delay line flangers. The through-zero flanging that is a side effect of the chorus modulation in ÜberMod sounds more like "tape flanging," and the random sweeps associated with that, than a single delay line sweeping up and down. This isn't to say that great things haven't been done with, say, the Electric Mistress. But it isn't a sound I want to work on right now.

Sean Costello

valhallasound wrote:
swartzfeger wrote: Personally haven't tried it because, like you, I'm fed up with every chorus I've tried. I've come to the conclusion tho that's it's not the implementation that sucks, but the effect itself that sucks. I can't listen to a chorus now without having bad 80s flashbacks. I'm daring myself to go and listen to my Summers and Fripp disc.
Have you tried the chorus effects in ÜberMod? :D

I am of mixed feelings about chorus. It's like ketchup, for me. I love ketchup with french fries, and on hot dogs and hamburgers. And ONLY for those foods. Otherwise, yuk.
Ketchup = apt. I'll risk the condescending tag and say it's like ketchup where you outgrow it by your late teens, and move onto mustard or sriracha or tabasco. :)

Full disclosure, I demoed all three plugins a few weeks ago and insta bought room and shimmer, but I didn't grok Über straight away like the other two. I just need to invest more time with it.

But yeah, the Über chorus samples I heard posted sounded great.

Tape delay with resonance filtered feedback and chorused reverb..

valhallasound wrote:I love the ÜberMod chorus effects on synth pads, and drums and bass lines. But I haven't been able to steel up the courage to play clean electric guitar through the ÜberMod chorus presets. I think I have the same 80's flashbacks. But then again, there is a full-on 80's revival right now, and if people want that sound, I am happy to provide the tool.
Ok, if you recall from another thread when I first bought room and shimmer, I was having fits scrolling thru the presets. Then you told me about the dropdown menu, and everything was peaches after that.

Going back to UberMod tonight, I realized part of my problem was my initial dropdown menu issue, so Uber was much easier to use this time around.

I took a simple clean guitar I recorded a few days ago with Shimmer, and tried it with just Über chorus. Still not a huge fan, but it may be a reflexive chorus confirmation bias kicking in. Tried the track with Shimmer *and* Uber and immediately liked it more -- gave it more depth.

You'll hear Uber drop out due to the demo limitations a few times, one point is around :43. I like the Shimmer + Uber chorus combo.

Disclosure -- I'm not a guitar player, I'm a fretless/chapman stick/warr guy, so please bear with my fingerpicking! It's a new project guitar I picked up to learn the instrument, so it has some grounding and wiring issues I'm sussing out.

http://soundcloud.com/swartzfeger/shim-uber

swartzfeger wrote: Mostly, its reverse/backwards features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L_4_4wSdgc

This is impressive stuff... :o

I didn't read all the posts but i know that walhallashimmer does include a backward mode as feature

A tempo synced backward delay effect like this one could be terrific, IMO, eventually combined with pitch transposition/harmonisation..!

:)

I couldn't pick one out... I think it would be rather easy to make a delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch-shifting thing, and educate people how actually these things are rather similar and all start with a delay. So I'm actually for a kind of multi-effects unit from Valhalla. ;) Why not making a plugin where you could pick amongst different algos, or freely define them? Like chorus>delay>limiter or something like that. Yeah, it would be nice to have a dynamic FX in the end like compressor/limiter/saturator/distortion, too.

Cheers!

edit: well, actually, UberMod is rather close to that... ;) but they could build a much more versatile plugin from it.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

Dont think its on the poll but id love a Valhalla Distortion plugin - ohmicide is almost too brutal...

Return to “Valhalla DSP”