Microtonal support in Aspect 1.8

Yes!
43%
No, leave it for another version.
57%

Total votes: 14

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm just trying to sketch out a roadmap for Aspect 1.8, and one of the occasionally asked for, but not hugely often, requests is for microtonal support. It's been lingering on the features requests since Aspect 1.0, and I'm just wondering if now - with Mac OS X VST 64-bit support in the bag - would be a good time to implement these?

So, I throw the question to the floor: Microtonal support: now, or later? Support for .tun files doesn't appear to be a massive amount of work, but if it's just too obscure a feature for most users, I'd rather shelve the request until a later version and get 1.8 out all the sooner.

Thanks!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I'm hoping for an onboard delay and chorus like those on String actually :) Now I have to place the String effects unit behind it every time.

A little onboard sequencer would also be awesome to use.

Also it would be great if it was easier to see the modulation routings. Now we can only see one slot at a time, so if there are 2 destinations set to "on" only one can be seen without having to click. If you understand what I mean.. :wink:

What about the use of the old fashioned cables a la ACE? :hihi:

All very do-able requests, and for various (top secret future project) reasons, I do have a rather nice cable renderer already coded, but I don't think it would necessarily suit Aspect. But consider your point noted regarding visible modulations - this, as well as various other routing tweaks, was actually on the agenda to be tackled in Aspect 1.8.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Cables? Yay :)

The people have spoken: microtonal support will not be implemented for Aspect 1.8. But we will reconsider for 1.9. It's probably for the best: the tentative feature list for 1.8 is looking impressively massive as is...

I do, however, anticipate a minor update to be released imminently for Mac OS X Aspect 1.7. This update will fix a few quirks with Cubase, as well adding native Mac 64-bit VST format.

Hi Colin,
I just saw this but I would agree to postpone the
microtonal support. Being able to view all of the
modulation routings would be cool (perhaps in a
separate window?), and I would still love to have
continuously variable wave shapes for the oscillators.
Anyway, Aspect is still one of my favorite synths
and just seems to go from strength to strength.
Keep up the good work!
Scott

Hello all. I know I'm too late, but I thought I'd chime in here for what it's worth. I'm not (yet) a paying customer, but I've been playing with the demo on 64 bit Linux and I like it a lot. Anyway, alternate tuning support would be my personal most wanted feature. Maybe I'm the only one, and I doubt you're planning to retire early on sales to microtonal music fans who run Linux, but it's good to see that the feature is at least being considered for the future. I should add that I would find it more convenient to change tuning via scala (.scl) files than .tun files, but I imagine supporting both wouldn't be much more work.
Thanks for your time.

Hi rotwang, thanks for the suggestion. I'll make a note to look at the possibility of supporting both tuning formats when I start fleshing out the design for microtonal support.

Cool, glad to hear it. Santa brought me an Aspect licence this xmas and I've really been enjoying it.

I think I'm gonna dare and bump this thread as the forum is suspiciously quiet. String has recently got some basic tuning capabilities anyway, is Aspect going to get tuning anytime soon?

It certainly could do. Aspect 2 does, but I'd honestly hoped to have had Aspect 2 out by now. Basic global retuning (a la the recent String update) is easily done, but maybe it's worth going that extra mile and putting microtonal support in Aspect 1... I'll schedule a little time in this week to evaluate this.

Thanks. If that feature is present (or planned) in Aspect 2, then I'd actually prefer Aspect 2 with full tuning support.

Return to “Loomer”