README - For non-programmers with great ideas

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Right. If I can create a VST prototype, I can keep going and finish the product. :shrug:

as aciddose said, that's the 90% part ;]
otherwise it may NOT work
It doesn't matter how it sounds..
..as long as it has BASS and it's LOUD!

irc.libera.chat >>> #kvr

yes, then do so :)

there is a huge market of synth-edit plugins for sale.

if you just wanted to have the programmer do all the design and implementation you're going to have to settle for something like 99% of the profits to the programmer, assuming they would even want to touch the idea.

as i said if you can think of existing things to assemble to create your plugin, you don't need a prototype. if you can however, why not use sync-modular and quickly assemble these parts to test them? it takes very little effort and costs you nothing.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

my idea is not an idea for a synth. or an effect. it is an arpeggiator.

how exactly do i do that in sync-modular?

not to mention that the guy's website is not even working...

I am a graphic designer, so I can develop GUI / website / videos and all marketing to go into this plugin

I will pay up front if the programmer does not want to "split profits" at the end... however I feel most programmers are like musicians in that sense: they want to own their own work.

That is telling the songwriter who came up with the idea, sorry you get 1% because you only came up with the song. The performer is getting 99%.

If the song writer (idea maker) could play the instruments (code audio software), they would just write the song, play the instruments and collect 100%.

i can also charge a rate of something like $60-120 per hour depending on what the demands are. we could also agree upon a contract value with a non-refundable down-payment in advance something like 15%.

i've written complete arpeggiators from scratch.

my guess for cost would be about 10k for this project. i wouldn't accept it unless for-hire because i don't see the product being profitable. not including graphical work - you'll also need to hire an artist or do it yourself.

negotiable if you want to license pre-existing libraries.

your idea must be nuclear if you expect it to compete with the free arps already available.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.

can i see these arpeggiators you've developed?

no. i wrote the arpeggiator for vanguard2 which was a significant extension of the features included in nexus2. it had extra capability that was not finished because the project was cancelled.

i also have several limited-feature arps implemented in various places that wouldn't interest you as all you could see would be the source, not a complete plugin.

i have an arp i plan to include in my commercial effects package which is currently WIP unreleased. yours would probably be a derivative from the existing code at first which i why i estimated only 10k, not 30k or more.

see my webpage link in sig and the effects section for a very old alpha implementation.

if you want to discuss more, let's go into private and we can post back here about how the idea works out - as an example to would-be idea people to learn from.

sure. well i checked that alpha. and it's just a u/d arpeggiator.. not even close to what I'm talking about.

Also I couldnt get it to send midi out to anything in sonar.

nexus 2's arp is also not the same direction that I wanted to go.

in fact. there is not a single piece of software out there that does what I want in this case.

it's ok I will keep looking around to see if I can find somebody with a portfolio they can show me :)

thanks anyways. in the meantime I will just try something in synthedit and see if i can get close to a prototype.

edit: mistake lol

sooo.. the reasonable conclusion is:

unless the "idea guy" is able to pay upfront for the development (at least partly), its hardly doable?

Being an very typical (or maybe extreme type of) INTP I have a lot of ideas/architectures/designs way way way above my "execution-level", and I dont have money to invest really.. so.. :shrug:

At least make an attempt to implement your own idea using the tools available to you. For example some portion of your idea may be possible to implement in reaktor as a modification of one of the existing configurations.

You then have to look at exactly what goes into an implementation "from scratch" sometimes by looking at how you might construct the individual modules used (flip-flop, ...) to give you a slightly more realistic understanding of the complexity of the task.

For example if your project takes advantage of "fully anti-aliased" oscillator modules you need to be aware of the effort the authors invested toward those modules alone without discounting them as "only one simple module".

It's all a question of time/effort. A programmer has spent years of time and effort to develop a highly specialized skill (you refer to "execution level") which you haven't had time for. Is your time worth enough that you couldn't possibly learn on your own? How much is it worth exactly?

Another important question is whether your idea is even possible to implement. If you can't implement (or "execute") that idea, why could a programmer? Is such an idea really possible? Who should take on the risk involved in finding out whether it is possible?

For example the concept of a fully anti-aliased "analog" synthesizer and the concept of "very little processing cost" both exist, although evidence would point to these two being somewhat mutually exclusive. If someone were to propose the idea of "a fully analog synthesizer model based upon an electronic circuit processed with higher quality and lower cost results than existing synthesizer software indistinguishable from a recording of the actual electronic circuit", I'd laugh.

aciddose wrote: Another important question is whether your idea is even possible to implement. If you can't implement (or "execute") that idea, why could a programmer? Is such an idea really possible? Who should take on the risk involved in finding out whether it is possible?
I'm of the suspicion my 'idea' is dead in the water because of this, but because I fully do not expect to get paid, and simply wish it existed I'm going to throw it out there.

aciddose wrote:At least make an attempt to implement your own idea using the tools available to you.
Im actually studying software engineering, and see my interests and skills fits well with "requirements engineering", high level design, how sub-systems would relate to each others etc. I understand coders should have much more than just some ideas to implement, but more something like "blue prints".
aciddose wrote: Another important question is whether your idea is even possible to implement.
Im SURE they are possible :)

Im more concerned about how to split equity, and how to protect the architecture, that the project might be locked to someone else "forever" (unfinished), stolen.. etc. So.. I

m more concerned about the risks from my point of view I guess lol :)

These posts often end up being ignored, or responded to with insults and bad sarcastic puns (in keeping with KvR tradition).
Nothing changes
Ah, home sweet home :D
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”