Charlatan v1.4.1 - free VA synth (Win VSTi 32-/64-bit)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Charlatan Charlatan - Time Capsule

We made a soundbank containing 73 presets (FXB and VST3) and you can download it from here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/charlat ... /downloads

Check out our demo track containing 21 instances of Charlatan, using presets from our soundbank here:
http://soundcloud.com/solidtrax/solidtrax-charlatan-21

We hope you enjoy the soundbank!

Merry Christmas!

hi... is there any chance of getting patches preloaded with this synth?

Great work otherwise!

Thank you for your efforts this synth does indeed sound lovely.
While I love the sound, the GUI, when playing I feel it's almost too perfect. I'd love to see aftertouch implemented or anything that would add some expressiveness.
I do think you have created something special with Charlatan.

MRT wrote:Thank you for your efforts this synth does indeed sound lovely.
While I love the sound, the GUI, when playing I feel it's almost too perfect. I'd love to see aftertouch implemented or anything that would add some expressiveness.
I do think you have created something special with Charlatan.
We also believe BlauKraut Engineering made something very nice, that's why we had to contribute by making a soundbank for it. This will not be the last bank we made for it, there will be more in 2012! :-)

One thing that would be awesome is to have 2 (or more) layers inside Charlatan, because it's amazing how extremely nice and rich soundscapes you can make when you start layering a few Charlatan instances!

Hi all,

here is a new version for you with various enhancements and fixes. In parallel to these maintenance updates, I've been working on a complete rewrite of the synth engine using hand-optimized SSE code. Especially with polyphonic patches, this reduces CPU usage by more than 60% ! I'd say the rewrite is ~80% completed and I don't expect serious issues for the remaining 20%. However, due to the nature of such large scale code rewrite, this needs extensive testing to avoid regressions. I'm thinking about a public beta here. After that, feature enhancements I have on my TODO list are:
* LFO sync
* custom background color
* Shape parameter for Osc1 noise (not sure yet how it should work exactly, but probably some kind of spectrum shaping)

Have fun!

1.1.4 (2012-02-08 )
  • Jet another revision of the 4-pole ladder filter implementation. Placement of nonlinearities is now correct wrt. the original circuit
  • new switch 2OCT for Osc2: double detune range (+/-2 octaves)
  • 90 degree phase shift of Osc2 square wave relative to Osc1 (only when sync is inactive). Emulates behavior of sub-oscs of Roland synths.
  • if Osc1 is set to noise, the ring mod input from Osc1 is now the rectangle signal rather than noise.
  • Reduced max. filter key tracking from 200% to 100%. 200% just isn't useful.
  • BUGFIX: LFO delay parameter was completely hosed (10x the displayed value!)
  • BUGFIX: handle LFO delay time on samplerate change
  • doubled max. LFO delay time (10s -> 20s)
  • minor tweaks'n'fixes

THX again :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I just downloaded 1.1.4 and it seems to work well. One problem I found is that some of the presets appear to be incorrect. The plug-in informs the host that it takes programs as chunks (effFlagsProgramChunks) however a bunch of the presets (e.g. 808 Kick.fxp) do not contain any chunks. I believe these should be updated to include chunks.

It sounds absolutely fantastic! NO bugs so far in XT.
:hug:

Nice update.

Nice one :tu:
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

I found a bug, when holding a chord for a short or long time (quite randomly) the sound completely cut out.

reaper 4.151
windows xp sp2
AMD quad core

Sorry charlatan was not the culprit... i deleted all reaper ini file, re-install reaper and charlatan is now playing normally... an amazing synth!

I'd made a few patches that used more than 100% filter keytracking. It may be unuseful for full-keyboard sounds, but for peculiar sounds that play in a limited range, I think it's quite a unique effect.
http://sendy.bandcamp.com/releases < My new album at Bandcamp! Now pay what you like!

New version 1.2 is out! I would say a rather important update.

1.2 (2012-06-03)
  • new feature: LFO sync to host tempo
  • new feature: set LFO phase at song start (applies also to non-synced LFO rates!)
  • new feature: DCO ("Digitally controlled oscillator") switch: see readme.txt
  • new feature: Osc1 shape parameter now applies lowpass/highpass filter to noise source (center position yields white noise).
  • improved filters
    - better solver for nonlinear zero-delay feedback (credits to Teemu Voipio aka mystran)
    - nicer saturation characteristic
    ATTENTION: Patches with high resonance could sound slightly different than with previous versions! Adjustments of resonance, oscillator levels and master volume might be necessary.
  • improved UI graphics
  • Legato mode: only retrigger LFO delay on non-legato notes
  • BUGFIX: reset all voices when playback starts
  • some more presets

Cool, synced LFO, thanks for the update but getting this nasty error message in both REAPER and Minihost (XP 32 SP3):

Last edited by V'ger on Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”