extending parts in composer?

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about part editing. I can't seem to get the functions working indicated here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/composer.png

if i hold SHIFT i get the eraser. If i just drag the part from the right edge it duplicates the notes within itself. so if there is a hit on beat 1 of bar 1, and i extend the part by 3 bars, i'll get a hit on beat 1 of each bar within the part.

this doesn't always seem to be the case though.

How do i specifically just extend the part without repeating notes? And how do i extend the part forcing the notes to repeat as is happening by default (but not always, it seems)

(also please can we have a "duplicate" part option that just tags a copy (or ghost copy) onto the end of the current one. Copy/Paste seems to depend on where the cursor is, whereas normal Duplicate function in sequencers usually appends the parts.

thanks
j

jmp909 wrote:I'm a bit confused about part editing. I can't seem to get the functions working indicated here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/composer.png

if i hold SHIFT i get the eraser.
That's strange. I just double-checked, the eraser only comes when holding [Ctrl], as intended.
If i just drag the part from the right edge it duplicates the notes within itself. so if there is a hit on beat 1 of bar 1, and i extend the part by 3 bars, i'll get a hit on beat 1 of each bar within the part.
this doesn't always seem to be the case though.
When extending a looped sequence part, it will play the sequence loop for a longer time, cfr http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/composer.html

How to change the sequence loop, please see http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/sequence-editor.html
How do i specifically just extend the part without repeating notes? And how do i extend the part forcing the notes to repeat as is happening by default (but not always, it seems)
I hope the above info answers these questions.
(also please can we have a "duplicate" part option that just tags a copy (or ghost copy) onto the end of the current one. Copy/Paste seems to depend on where the cursor is, whereas normal Duplicate function in sequencers usually appends the parts.
Indeed pasting happens at the mouse cursor, which is faster and flexible.
If you want to repeat an existing sequence part, why not just make it longer?

jmp909 wrote:I'm a bit confused about part editing. I can't seem to get the functions working indicated here: http://www.mutools.com/mulab/docs/pics/composer.png
I give a advise for getting a more clearer picture for the user is that all notion marks are outside the objects for this document

Hi,

thanks for the reply, just some feedback about the usability, after checking your responses...

Eraser:

i was holding Ctrl and clicking near the left or the right of the part, which is what brought up the eraser. I've realised holding around the centre will allow me to drag it out without bringing up the eraser tool. Might be a bit tricky if I'm zoomed out though.. I feel it would be better if Eraser was invoked with a slightly different hold key, like "Ctrl+Alt"

Extend/Loop:

I see what i need to do is go in and remove the end loop point before extending the part. It would be good to have this loop mode on/off also as part of the track selector on the composer screen (this is the way Logic does it), as i might just want to extend the part without duplicating the notes inside, without first having to go into the part and removing the loop indicators

regards
j.

PS really nice sound from some of these synths/combis... I wish it was a VST instrument like Reaktor etc.

If you want to repeat an existing sequence part, why not just make it longer?
duplicating parts as ghost parts, rather than just making the loop repeat longer, would maybe have the advantage of being able to swap parts out in the middle of the track later, without having to split everything down first.

eg if my track has

[Aaaaaaaa]

where ("A" is the main loop, and "a" is the repeated notes inside the part)

if i wanted my track to then be:

[Aaaa][Aaa],

i would have to split up the part to fit B in.

if instead they were just all duplicates i just need to cut out one of the "a"'s and stick a "B" in.

ie...
[A][a][a][a][a][a][a]

i guess there are benefits to both approaches. having a single repeated part allows you to move it all around as one part. however once I have say a 4 bar part repeating a 1 bar loop inside it (4 times), it would still be good to just be able to duplicate that 4 bar part (by pressing Shift+D) or whatever, and just append it onto the end of the sequence.

(I'm used to using Logic & Cubase so it takes time to get used to other approaches to doing things)

--

As for my other response about track looping, i've noticed you can actually have loop points *per part*, and there can be multiple differently looped parts on 1 track, so my idea wouldnt't work there anyway. I think a good solution might be to have eg:

Shift+Drag = Extend part with normal internal looping
Shift+Drag+Ctrl = Extend part but ignore loop, and set loop end to the length of the part when drag ends.

well just ideas anyway. What do other people think? I realise you already have these keys mapped to other operations.

regards
J

[/quote]

Take
[Aaaa aaaa]
...and say you want
[Aaaa][Baaa]
What you do is shorten the part, then copy it (linked), then move the second copy's start (inside the sequence editor):
[Aaaa] [aaa]
Now you can put your B in:
[Aaaa][aaa]

[quote="jmp909"][/quote]

You can split a track always in parts ...this is not dependend ( forgive my poor english) how you construct the source track.

Thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned, I use logic and cubase a fair bit and "duplicate" (append) is a common feature. I know a lot of people who rely on keyboard shortcuts for such things.

Just ideas anyway,

Regards
J

jmp909 wrote:Thanks for the advice.

As I mentioned, I use logic and cubase a fair bit and "duplicate" (append) is a common feature. I know a lot of people who rely on keyboard shortcuts for such things.

Just ideas anyway,

Regards
J
I'm not sure what you're missing. Just copy the part and stretch it as long as you want it repeated? Or Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V? Both approaches exist in a couple of variants. Or are you after something else?

Return to “MUTOOLS”