VolumeShaper 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VolumeShaper

EDIT: VolumeShaper 3 is out now!
http://www.cableguys.de/volume-shaper.html

Hey all, a minute ago we've uploaded the VolumeShaper 3 public beta!

In short: "VolumeShaper is a plugin for shaping and automating the levels of any audio signal. From signature pumping effects to extreme gating, from tempo-synced stutter to precise sample-shaping, VolumeShaper provides a wealth of creative musical effects with a visual approach to volume. For Mac and Windows, as VST, AU or RTAS plugin."

Version 3 adds a precise oscilloscope for helpful visual control, plus an option to trigger the LFO via MIDI notes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxuHTLJHdsw

Last edited by Jakob / Cableguys on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:54 am, edited 7 times in total.

WOW! Great! :love:

Very nice! Another very useful plugin from the C-guys. I'm happy to report that it seems to work fine in Nuendo 5.2.2 32-bit. It seems pretty much feature complete. But being me, I've got a couple of observations/requests... ;)

1. I don't like the way "Increase/Decrease waveform amplitude" is implemented:

- I would much prefer seeing these as smooth continuous adjustments (for ex.: CTL + Left Click and Drag) which could also be automated with a single parameter.

- This could be a bug: when a wave is "increased" and crushed into the upper limit it does not recover its original form when the "decrease" is applied (the original points are not remembered). Seems to work the other way.

2. There doesn't seem to be a way to smoothly vary the intensity of the entire wave as referenced to the center neutral position (from "Flat-No Effect=Normal Volume" to "Full-VolumeShaper Effected").

- This would allow more fine tuning.

- As an automatable parameter it would allow a smooth fade in and out of the effect and it could also be used to modulate the repetitive behavior over time (slowly fading the effect in and out without altering the track volume). You could drive it from from MIDIShaper :)

You might want to add a knob for the degree of randomization to limit the degree of variation (smooth to jagged).

Again great stuff! Thanks!

Hello,
I downloaded and installed VolumeShaper 3 Beta to try it out. Nice plug-in indeed: no crash, easy to set, great flexibility. Good job!

I found some weird issues though that may need a fix:

- Pressing "invert x-values of all points" often result in waveform changes, with added points and modified curves. "Invert y-values" seems to work fine instead.

- Arrow buttons meant to modify the x-position and amplitude of the waveshape, sometimes result in distorsion of the curve too (no added points in this case)

- Classic analog waveforms are recalled correctly. Despite this, if one of the button is pressed repeatedly, the wave may change to different shapes.

- When an invalid midi source is selected, Error message appears partly out of the screen (downward).

I'm on win7 and Ableton Live 8.2.8, i run the 32-bit VolumeShaper version.

I'll see if I can test it on my Macbook too.

I couldn't test the MIDI triggering.. and I'm actually not sure about what that should do :roll:

Hope you can find these info useful

Tested also on a Macbook running Snow leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8 ) and Ableton Live 8:

None of the previous bugs were present in this case.

Jakob / CableGuys wrote:Version 3 adds a precise oscilloscope for helpful visual control
Very Nice 8)

looks and works well so far here in Win XP running MuLab.
Bedroom Producers Blog << Free VST Plugins!

Thanks a ton for your replies, feature wishes/changes and bug reports! I can confirm the bugs on PC that ominopasticcione mentioned and we'll work on them.

Forgot to mention that VolumeShaper 3 will not only be free for new customers, but also for all existing customers of VolumeShaper 1+2 or the Cableguys Bundle. A little thank-you for the ones who supported us in the early days.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:A little thank-you for the ones who supported us in the early days.
Again: WOW! Great! :love:

And just an idea: Scale oscilloscope height (option to click and drag the level of the view).
It looks nice so it could be used also as an oscilloscope.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Thanks a ton for your replies, feature wishes/changes and bug reports! I can confirm the bugs on PC that ominopasticcione mentioned and we'll work on them.

Forgot to mention that VolumeShaper 3 will not only be free for new customers, but also for all existing customers of VolumeShaper 1+2 or the Cableguys Bundle. A little thank-you for the ones who supported us in the early days.
And those who only have v2? (I'll download v3 during the day and test it here, thanks! :) ).

Mercado_Negro wrote:
Jakob / Cableguys wrote:Thanks a ton for your replies, feature wishes/changes and bug reports! I can confirm the bugs on PC that ominopasticcione mentioned and we'll work on them.

And those who only have v2? (I'll download v3 during the day and test it here, thanks! :) ).
Ah, right. All existing customers of VolumeShaper 1 or 2 or the Cableguys Bundle will get VolumeShaper 3 for free.

Jakob / Cableguys wrote:
Mercado_Negro wrote:

Ah, right. All existing customers of VolumeShaper 1 or 2 or the Cableguys Bundle will get VolumeShaper 3 for free.
Wow, that's very kind of you, Jakob. Thank you very much. I'll get back to you (here) tonight with some feedback :)

Cheers

Looking good so far, but it seems you can't have version 2 AND version 3 installed at the same time. Studio One reads only on DLL. Looks like they share the same VST ID (or whatever it's called).

bM3w wrote:Looking good so far, but it seems you can't have version 2 AND version 3 installed at the same time. Studio One reads only on DLL. Looks like they share the same VST ID (or whatever it's called).
Indeed! VolumeShaper 3 can open almost* all songs made with version 2, there's no need to keep VolumeShaper 2 (only if you like the old layout). I guess we should add a note on that in the installation file.

* We've dropped the interpolation parameter (before you could choose between no interpolation, linear interpolation and cubic interpolation; now it's always cubic interpolation).

It looks much better in black :)

Just gave it a proper test and I noticed all bugs reported by ominopasticcione but you said you're working on them so :)

I didn't use v2 too much but all projects that had it loaded just fine with v3. I thawed some tracks and they sounded the same, cool! (backwards compatibility is essential).

REAPER 64bit (also tested some projects in 32bit)
Windows 7 64bit
96kHz projects, mostly

Return to “Effects”