DSI Mopho VSTi editor (Windows)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you find the Mopho Editor useful?

Yes, it's revolutionary!! Burn the bra!
33%
Yes, fairly ok..
15%
No, i've seen better
9%
No, lame piece of sh**, doesn't work at all
18%
I want a version for Mac!
24%

Total votes: 33

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ok, i started up a new topic for this so it won't get hidden away in the "Mopho, the good, the bad.."-thread.

The simple idea is to have an editor for the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho synthesizer as a VST-instrument, so that it behaves more or less like a softsynth without all the hassle that's usually associated with hardware synths. Start up a project-file and the Mopho updates to the state it was when you last saved the project. Everything is memorized and automatable just like a vst-synth. Only rendering won't work, obviously, and you need to have an audio input configured like normally with external sources.

I just recently got a Mopho and felt this kind of project was necessary to build for this beautiful synths efficient DAW use. Now I'm selling this to other Mopho users for a reasonable price(just 10e). It's now publicly available for evaluation and testing(works for 9 minutes at a time). Please have a test if it works on your system and report any issues here. Thank you.

Demo available here(v1.30 / desktop & keyboard):
https://www.box.com/s/8fb1681a2e82c105d047

New v1.39 (only available for desktop Mopho for now)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/880206/MKDR_Mo ... 9_DEMO.exe

There is a time limit of 9 minutes per instance.
Installation: Just run the installer executable to get everything set up the right way.

An editor for Tetra is now under development.

edit: v1.2 Demo out. Cleaned up this post a bit.
edit: v1.21 Minor fix.
edit: v1.24 Keyboard version integrated in the installer. Nrpn system fixes.
edit: v1.30 Nrpn system fixes. Sysex manager.

Get yours HERE
Last edited by mkdr on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 20 times in total.
www.mkdr.net

MophoEd - the BEST DSI Mopho Editor VSTi

nice one, but i need it for tetra :-)

Thanks for this, I'll check it out tonight. I was disappointed that Soundtower dropped the ball on this after promising it for their "pro" version owners. Yet it took you 3 weeks. :cool:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

any chance this might work for editing a Tetra in polyphonic mode?
Presets for u-he Diva -> http://swanaudio.co.uk/

analoguesamples909 wrote:any chance this might work for editing a Tetra in polyphonic mode?
It will not work as intended for Tetra.. the usage experience with loading up patch data etc. However the NRPN commands used to edit the sound should be similar. Atleast the manuals chart mentions A and B parts, which of A seems to have the same parameter numbers as the Mopho. So it might work for simple edits, but definetly NOT for the patch save or exchanging. If you do edit something with this editor you need to save it to the Tetras memory!
www.mkdr.net

mkdr wrote:Ok, i started up a new topic for this so it won't get hidden away in the "Mopho, the good, the bad.."-thread.

The simple idea is to have an editor for the Dave Smith Instruments Mopho synthesizer as a VST-instrument, so that it behaves more or less like a softsynth without all the hassle that's usually associated with hardware synths. Start up a project-file and the Mopho updates to the state it was when you last saved the project. Everything is memorized and automatable just like a vst-synth. Only rendering won't work, obviously, and you need to have an audio input configured like normally with external sources.
Very cool. Did you use SynthMaker to do this, and is the mopho MIDI implementation very heavy on SysEx, and if so, was SynthMaker simple to use in this regard?

It looks like SM Grymm,
the group adornments are stock.
I know editors have been implemented with SM.
Angular Momentum would be another to consult.
Regards

grymmjack wrote: Very cool. Did you use SynthMaker to do this, and is the mopho MIDI implementation very heavy on SysEx, and if so, was SynthMaker simple to use in this regard?
Yes it's fully implemented with SynthMaker(around 100000 primitives, 9000+ modules). This was my choise of platform because of development speed and ease of debugging.. and it only needs to work on my Win7 (this is not a commercial project). My first intent was to do this with C++ and QT.. but whats the point really? Would've just lost months of my time, for basically no gain at all.

The Mopho Midi implementation is very light on sysex actually. There's only two messages used here. Requesting the edit buffer from Mopho and sending the edit buffer to Mopho. Rest is done in NRPN, which was the hard and "heavy" part. There's no ready made implementation for NRPN in SM.

SM is easy to use with Midi stuff. If you keep things tidy(modular, object oriented) and limit the amount of midi messages sent, an editor based on sysex messages is a cake.
nix808 wrote:It looks like SM Grymm,
the group adornments are stock.
Thankfully i wasted less time on GUI than the functional side ;)
Btw. I've used stock SM gui parts in C++ plugins too.
www.mkdr.net

mkdr wrote:
grymmjack wrote: Very cool. Did you use SynthMaker to do this, and is the mopho MIDI implementation very heavy on SysEx, and if so, was SynthMaker simple to use in this regard?
Yes it's fully implemented with SynthMaker(around 100000 primitives, 9000+ modules). This was my choise of platform because of development speed and ease of debugging.. and it only needs to work on my Win7 (this is not a commercial project). My first intent was to do this with C++ and QT.. but whats the point really? Would've just lost months of my time, for basically no gain at all.
This is exactly where I'm at with my pet project for doing the same with microKORG and MS-2000 synths.

Except I attempted to install SM free last night, and it wont even start.

No idea why. Starts to load, shows a loading schematic dialog, then after showing some messages about ASIO/directx sound, it just zombies. I've done a little research and it seems possibly related to FL studio and the SM that comes with it, but even after uninstalling FLStudio and reinstalling SM, same happens.

Any ideas?

Is there any additional lag using the plugin in this way, and also it looks like your VSTi editor simply uses the MIDI port assigned to it in the host, that's exactly what I want to do myself.

Thanks for your help and your effort with this cool free tool. I've considered a Mopho before, then Tetra, but now it's more compelling knowing stuff like this exists for it. Much more so :)

grymmjack wrote: Is there any additional lag using the plugin in this way, and also it looks like your VSTi editor simply uses the MIDI port assigned to it in the host, that's exactly what I want to do myself.

Thanks for your help and your effort with this cool free tool. I've considered a Mopho before, then Tetra, but now it's more compelling knowing stuff like this exists for it. Much more so :)
Oh but sir, it's not free :)
It works for 3 minutes, then cuts out the midi port.

The plugin uses a midi port based on what is written in the configuration file. When you select a midi port it writes its name to the file. It's a "global variable" in a sense that it's not saved with a preset. This enables the "total recall" to work properly, even if some other midi devices are missing. Which happens to me a lot when i change the keyboard i work with etc.

I wouldn't have gotten a Mopho myself if there hadn't been an editor for it. Unfortunately it doesn't work, which sucks. Hence this project. I've built several other tools for my other synths too. And every day i wonder how people can cope with their synths without stuff like this.. :P

No idea why SM is not working with you. Have you tried cancelling the loading of the default project? It might crash if there's some problem with audio or midi devices on your system... If you cancel the load, it starts up with an empty slate.
www.mkdr.net

Grymmjack,
This issue has come up in the SM forum.
SM community needs u, I think.
The version that ships w/- Fruity is basically the proggy,
but I can write to Malc,
the dev, if you want me to.
Also, I would buy u a license,
if u would use it.
The issue has no further word from Outsim.
Would you like to trade an SM pro license
for some graphic work?
SM has shortcomings, but, yeah.
I agree software editors r the go.
Thankfully my Cheetah MS-6 has an editor.
How does that sound?
I'd like to have u in SM's scene,
and as I have bought multiple licenses,
I may be able to sort out a deal.
SM's green timing is 60hz or so,
I imagine that is the resolution it will transfer MIDI messages.
There are workarounds involving MAX/msp & Usine.

Going forward, I can find out how much a license would be,
if that sounds cool to you?

@nix : That is very kind of you mate. Thank you for looking out for me. I've replied to your PM.

mkdr wrote:
grymmjack wrote: Is there any additional lag using the plugin in this way, and also it looks like your VSTi editor simply uses the MIDI port assigned to it in the host, that's exactly what I want to do myself.

Oh but sir, it's not free :)
It works for 3 minutes, then cuts out the midi port.

The plugin uses a midi port based on what is written in the configuration file. When you select a midi port it writes its name to the file. It's a "global variable" in a sense that it's not saved with a preset. This enables the "total recall" to work properly, even if some other midi devices are missing. Which happens to me a lot when i change the keyboard i work with etc.

I wouldn't have gotten a Mopho myself if there hadn't been an editor for it. Unfortunately it doesn't work, which sucks. Hence this project. I've built several other tools for my other synths too. And every day i wonder how people can cope with their synths without stuff like this.. :P

No idea why SM is not working with you. Have you tried cancelling the loading of the default project? It might crash if there's some problem with audio or midi devices on your system... If you cancel the load, it starts up with an empty slate.
I know I was just evaluating it.

Yes tried to cancel as well. No luck. Would you be willing to help me with SM sysex should I need some?

Cheers for your kindness and not being a jerk for me invading your thread. ;)

I cannot get this plugin to work in Live.

It appears that the plugin is not a VSTi, but a VST, much like I guess Thesys, and I've configured it the same way which normally works.

I guess I have to pick an input and output from the dropdowns? If this is the case, can SM indeed use the VST MIDI inputs/outputs without requiring us to choose them from the dropdowns (I don't see anything listed like Host or such like in FLStudio SM).

Guess it can't do that, or just this plugin acts differently?

grymmjack wrote:I cannot get this plugin to work in Live.

It appears that the plugin is not a VSTi, but a VST, much like I guess Thesys, and I've configured it the same way which normally works.

I guess I have to pick an input and output from the dropdowns? If this is the case, can SM indeed use the VST MIDI inputs/outputs without requiring us to choose them from the dropdowns (I don't see anything listed like Host or such like in FLStudio SM).

Guess it can't do that, or just this plugin acts differently?
Ah i just remembered that i have a Live license lying around somewhere.. gotta install it and see what's the trouble with it. The plugin should be VSTi.

Yes you have to use the midi ports directly with the plugin. The host side doesn't support sysex streams inside midi. If you'd route all midi through your host, all patch exchange data would be lost. There is no midi out(to host) currently on the plugin.
Last edited by mkdr on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.mkdr.net

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”