DM1 The Drum Machine. THE UPDATE!

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DM1 has been updated:

http://itunes.apple.com/ch/app/dm1-the- ... &mt=8&ls=1

I think it's a major update with AudioCopy and MIDI In and an interessting automation mode.

Nice update this audiocopy , randomizer of sound notes beats etc , midi is only sound trigger, not sync , but it does have wist.

So you can you a sequencer or keyboard to trigger drums but because there is no midi preset channel all midi channels trigger sounds.

At least we got audiocopy paste , midi is useless.

Tried to trigger sounds with meteor but it only works over network and coremidi. Not virtualmidi.

The main reason i like dm1 is you can select a different drum set for each sound instead of just a single drumset.

Ielectribe is no 1 for me.

a phantastic update for my favourite Drum-App !

I love the 32 steps, the randomizer, the MIDI-in....and the update is free...wow :)

The best drum App on the iPad just got even better 8) Love this App.

Is there any way to midi sync from my mac daw to WIST on the DM1. Is it even possible?

cyberheater wrote:Is there any way to midi sync from my mac daw to WIST on the DM1. Is it even possible?
I dont believe so , its a proprietary system by Korg.I have said this many times, MIDI clock sync in and out has been on drum machines and sequencers for 30 years, what is the big deal with this in IOS, laziness, incompetence or is there some technical reason for it. WIST is a joke.

woodsdenis wrote:
cyberheater wrote:Is there any way to midi sync from my mac daw to WIST on the DM1. Is it even possible?
I dont believe so , its a proprietary system by Korg.I have said this many times, MIDI clock sync in and out has been on drum machines and sequencers for 30 years, what is the big deal with this in IOS, laziness, incompetence or is there some technical reason for it. WIST is a joke.
That's a shame. They really should release a bridge utility that works on PC/Mac that would convert midi clock sync to WIST.

mod4 wrote:Tried to trigger sounds with meteor but it only works over network and coremidi. Not virtualmidi.
Have you tried MidiBridge. This will let you route Meteors MIDI Out ports to a virtual MIDI port so you can use it to trigger DM1 (or any CoreMidi app).

http://www.idesignsound.com/midibridge-universal/

woodsdenis wrote:
WIST seems to deal with tempo, start and stop only. AFAIK there is no continious clock info, that's probably why there is no pc to wist app as the two clock would probably drift.
So, it's lazyness as syncing to MIDI isn't such a big deal, especially for groove boxes.

woodsdenis wrote:
WIST took me 4 hours to implement (I am working on an unreleased drum machine for the ipad, http://stochastik.xitive.com ) whereas MIDI is going to take at least a week. MIDI is just a lot more complex, and managing the virtual midi, network midi and core midi stuff is all under-documented on Apple's side and there are not any great libraries to make it easy. PGMidi is one library for iOS developers, but it still makes midi sync a major pain in the ass.

While people on the KVR forums might be deep into midi, I don't know about the percentage of people that really want to use midi instead of just bounce to audio files for import into their DAW.

Would proper midi sync be enough to get you to try out a different ipad drum machine?
---
I am working on the
Stochastik Drum Machine for the iPad

aaronblohowiak wrote:I am working on an unreleased drum machine for the ipad, http://stochastik.xitive.com )
Looks great! I just posted your news...

http://www.idesignsound.com/coming-soon ... -for-ipad/

:)

aaronblohowiak, VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing. I can't believe you already have a manual written. Wow!

> Would proper midi sync be enough to get you to try out a different ipad drum machine?

I've never really thought about it. I am a MIDI person, so I always like to have MIDI accessible sounds, but after thinking about it, most of the drum work I do on the iPad has been writing patterns and copy/paste to another app. :-)

The one thing I really want from a drum machine is to have, what is it, 16th note triplets for the hi-hat.

aaronblohowiak wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:
WIST took me 4 hours to implement (I am working on an unreleased drum machine for the ipad, http://stochastik.xitive.com ) whereas MIDI is going to take at least a week. MIDI is just a lot more complex, and managing the virtual midi, network midi and core midi stuff is all under-documented on Apple's side and there are not any great libraries to make it easy. PGMidi is one library for iOS developers, but it still makes midi sync a major pain in the ass.

While people on the KVR forums might be deep into midi, I don't know about the percentage of people that really want to use midi instead of just bounce to audio files for import into their DAW.

Would proper midi sync be enough to get you to try out a different ipad drum machine?
I won't even consider a drum machine app without proper midi clock sync stop start and continue and song position pointers.
I saw that you allow Dropbox export. Why not drop box import aswell. Your app looks very interesting BTW

aaronblohowiak wrote:Would proper midi sync be enough to get you to try out a different ipad drum machine?
Might be a bit more respectful to start another topic about a different app than the one the thread is about but I would say I'm not alone in certainly considering all new drum apps for iOS providing it has something new and isn't priced piss takingly high.

DM-1 was a no brainer purchase for me and I already had the Electribes etc. I even got iMaschine after getting DM-1. Providing they are useful, a tablet full of instruments isn't a bad thing in my book especially if they didn't cost a great deal.

I'll also add that after the update for DM-1 on Friday night me and a couple of mates had a right laugh with 2 iphones running iKoasillator & an ipad with DM-1, all wisted up and an OTO Biscuit to tweak. WIST is cool for that kind of thing - its not really a studio standard but useful in the right context. Until a method of syncing to a DAW is achieved, I'll do the bounce down and keep my Ipad as a controller when at my DAW.
No, that Glitch is meant to be there.....
http://soundcloud.com/punisha
http://www.myspace.com/punishadubs

aaronblohowiak wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:

Yes it would. But I love it to be included on DM1. The main issue for me is incorporating my IOS devices into my current setup which includes synths and a DAW and I really need MIDI sync to be able to do that.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”